Anyone In The U.s Using Terriers

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would have thought by now at least 1 of the 4 serious terriermen from the USA , who posted on this thread would have called me by now!!!!!!!, offer still stands!!!!!!,I let my dogs to the talking !!

I've had the pleasure of a good few weeks out there hunting coon in barns and stick piles. I'm not getting involved in the pissing competition about terriers, the only thing I will say is there is no

Starts January 1st ends December 31st

Posted Images

I had a friend who visited and dug in Ohio and was he was impressed with the amount of game in the ground you guys could dig.

Mudcat

ya it was a good time when spec came up

I wish he was still working the terriers. Speck was handy at a dig. He is now involved in match shooting. He has won 4 State Championships since he got involved in competition shooting. The boy can shoot!

Mudcat

Defensive are we? I do know your state and alot of folks do barn hunts in the winter and get a shit ton of them were your from. So dont cry nobody likes a cry baby.. no not defensive just dont like dumb asses talking about shit they know nothing about

Edited by Yourdogsucks

I had a friend who visited and dug in Ohio and was he was impressed with the amount of game in the ground you guys could dig.

Mudcat

ya it was a good time when spec came up

I wish he was still working the terriers. Speck was handy at a dig. He is now involved in match shooting. He has won 4 State Championships since he got involved in competition shooting. The boy can shoot!

Mudcat

ya i knew he was into shooting now havent talk to him in a long time he had some good dogs does he still have his buisness i now someone was wanting to buy them out last time i talked to him

Yes, he still has his business. He was not bought out and he ended up buying out one of his partners. He was just up this week and hunted a few days with my brother. Speck claims I do not have a shovel that will fit his hand anymore:)

Mudcat

• 3 years later...
On 12/12/2016 at 15:03, neil cooney said:

Why shouldn't you's have better terriers than what's in Britain ?

I'm not saying you's do but why shouldn't you's strive to improve the strains ?

We here in Ireland made them better and we started to get the black families of terriers about the same time you Americans did.

IMO it's not about the blood yous have or the quarry nor is it it about the freedom you's have to hunt (but in reality you don't have the freedom ye'd have us believe.) but it's the fact ye haven't got a terrier tradition going back generations. You's do tend to have that opinion that terrierwork is a fighting sport (just look back through this thread with all the cock measuring and photos) but it's a type of hunting or vermin control in reality.

I'm 16 or 17 years on line and made many American friends on line and IMO those who had the right attitude were those who listened and learned about terrierwork from this side of the world and some of them over the years came over and seen with their own eyes what they intended to bring back with them.

Tim Jent, Henry Johnson Jnr and Greg O Donnell all wrote for Earth Dog / Running Dog over the years and their articles were all about digging to their dogs. Mind you, Henry used to write about his Bear hunts using his Airedale terriers which were good. Henry got terriers from Ireland to dig to.

Unfortunately, you's seem to believe the bullshitters from over this side so you's need to do more home work and sort out the curs from the good ones and this can only be done by learning what the true working terriers is really all about, and that's not a fighting dog.

By the way, LOL, is TTI terriers (Tough Terriers International) ran by Tony Riviotta still in business ?

You only had to look at him to symbolize ALL that was wrong in the American terrier game.

Spot on with everything you said. I’ve lived in America all my life and don’t really know any working dog folks outside of the states but from my experience what you said about the guys who are willing to listen and learn from those with more experience seem to be few and far between. Usually the guys who would be mid to late twenties now seem to feel the more experienced older gentleman have nothing to teach them. It a shame honestly. I’m only 33 so it much older but when i became interested in working dogs I took the time to figure out what I wanted in a dog and when I found someone who had the type of dogs I liked and had been breeding and working them for 20 plus years i got in touch with the man and was at his place every weekend cleaning kennels, walking dogs, anything needing to be done around the dogs yard. After a couple weekends of yard work he finally started talking about the dogs and I would be working and listening. Once done for the day the few hours was him talking and me listening asking only a few questions at first. The more I got to no him and he me I must have asked about 100 question in half hour. 

On 18/12/2016 at 19:07, badger said:

I still believe in my experience and heart (in the US of course) that Badger is the proper test for a digging terrier. Just my opinion

Just a question when you say American badger being a proper test for a terrier would you be saying these terriers have dispatched these badger in the ground or shot by the man digging. 

All I’m going to say is if someone in the states says they regularly work there’s dogs on American badger and any of these dogs are still alive they are full of shit. The American badger is whole different type of animal than the his European cousin. The former like a high powered buzz saw while the latter similar to a butter knife. 

A good quality working patterdale  that’s has proven itself season after season is in no way whatsoever killing an American badger one out not happening ever 

41 minutes ago, Bolero said:

Just a question when you say American badger being a proper test for a terrier would you be saying these terriers have dispatched these badger in the ground or shot by the man digging. 

All I’m going to say is if someone in the states says they regularly work there’s dogs on American badger and any of these dogs are still alive they are full of shit. The American badger is whole different type of animal than the his European cousin. The former like a high powered buzz saw while the latter similar to a butter knife. 

A good quality working patterdale  that’s has proven itself season after season is in no way whatsoever killing an American badger one out not happening ever 

Have you heard the saying looks can be deceiving pal. ?

7 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Have you heard the saying looks can be deceiving pal. ?

Not quite sure what you mean by that. But I’m not going by the looks of the American badger I’m going by not only what I have seen but also want those wotg much more ex have see 

1 hour ago, Bolero said:

Not quite sure what you mean by that. But I’m not going by the looks of the American badger I’m going by not only what I have seen but also want those wotg much more ex have see 

That doesn't mean you've seen our europen badger though mate. ?

Edited by Greb147
  • Like 1
54 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

That doesn't mean you've seen our europe badger though mate. ?

That is correct but when one of the two are known to be easily handled by children and hand fed not a pet but fully wild badgers and if this was tried with the other type of badger at best a finger would be lost but most likely a good part of the hand will be gone  the European badger being the one who can be handle and hand fed  there is actual video footage of this I would venture to say that there is quit a difference in the two 

l

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, Bolero said:

That is correct but when one of the two are known to be easily handled by children and hand fed not a pet but fully wild badgers and if this was tried with the other type of badger at best a finger would be lost but most likely a good part of the hand will be gone  the European badger being the one who can be handle and hand fed  there is actual video footage of this I would venture to say that there is quit a difference in the two 

l

I been reading all the things you been writing on this and the other thread and you go on like you are 200 year old invented dog fighting and hunting and covered the world hunting everything that’s ever existed and to be honest I think half of what your saying is shit mate

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, General lee said:

I been reading all the things you been writing on this and the other thread and you go on like you are 200 year old invented dog fighting and hunting and covered the world hunting everything that’s ever existed and to be honest I think half of what your saying is shit mate

It's clear he's been on here whoever he is, I wouldn't be surprised to find out he's from the UK as well. ?

• Like 1