Anyone In The U.s Using Terriers

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would have thought by now at least 1 of the 4 serious terriermen from the USA , who posted on this thread would have called me by now!!!!!!!, offer still stands!!!!!!,I let my dogs to the talking !!

I've had the pleasure of a good few weeks out there hunting coon in barns and stick piles. I'm not getting involved in the pissing competition about terriers, the only thing I will say is there is no

Starts January 1st ends December 31st

Posted Images

Digging terriers isn't nearly as popular as running hounds on game or birddogs. But there are a good number of men and women over here are working terriers. Mostly JRTs and Patterdales. The Jagds are more used above ground than below and people are using them on anything with fur and even for retrieving feather.

The people hunting with their terriers don't have websites or kennels they just breed and hunt dogs. I've had my dogs on possum, groundhog, coon, fox and nutria. The foxes usually bolt from my experience. Possums are about as deadly as rats. Groundhogs can be pretty nasty but once a dog figures them out they start taking less and less punishment. Raccoons can give a lot of dogs problems, very vicious fighters and unless your dog is pinning them and looking to end them quick they will take a lot of damage all over their heads just trying to fight with them. Our badgers over here are nasty SOBs I've been out shooting them with buddies never put a terrier to ground on one though.

If you want to look into digging with terriers contact some JRTCA clubs. They will put you into contact with their hardcore hunters. These are people who don't hang out online bragging or anything. They just like working dogs.

As far as most people with terriers in the US not actually working their dogs, that's true. But that statement is true everywhere in the world. A small percentage of dogs of any breed get worked these days. Most people with dogs are either bullshitters and pretenders or simply don't care about digging big holes for hours at a time.

• Like 7

I live on the Wisconsin border in the US. And the badger is a protected animal in wis, and michigan and ill. Wisconsin is known as the badger state and there very hard to locate. Like i said before im just starting over with my pats again and there young. Im taking out my male this weekend to do some barn hunts for coon. My male only been on one coon. And it wasnt a planned thing because i would of rather of waited for him to get older. But he did kill it. He got it under my neihbors deck and i had to pull them out. Ill take pics this weekend of him working running the stacks and going down. Id rather have my dog on a coon then a hog. A hog will lay gashes on a dog were a coon will punch holes. And in a hole a coon cant fight like it would above ground and there not great for wind. Were some of you think the coon is tougher then the hog i think the hog is a better test for the dog. Jmo..

• Like 1

A coon is harder on a dog in earth than he is up top..up top the terrier has plenty room to maneuver in the ground the terrier is limited to the size of the sett. Not to mention a coons hide rolls.. and if you feel a ground hog is more formidable than a coon, you've only fooled with little coon..LOL

Edited by lonespade

Im from Wisconsin were we have probably some of the biggest coons in the US. and in the earth its harder for the coon to use all his legs to his fullest.the coon doesnt have the jaw pressure as a hog nor does it keep sharping its teeth like a hog. A hogs teeth ARE WIDE AND SHARP! Id rather get poked with a skinny nail then cut open with a straight blade. And not to mention a hog back fills fast and if you dont have a dog that pushs threw that then your not getting it. And yes the coon hides does roll because its fat. But in a set what are the chances of the dog grabbing him in the side? He is either face to face or the back end. Its not like hes in a set and running around side to side. Above ground the coon could ball your dog up and if you have a weak dog then yes he will have his work cut out. Funny ground hogs are weak, Lol. They could bite the lip right off your dog bite your dog in the leg down to the bone reall fast. Must not have alot of ground hogs in that dessert land of texas..lmao..and if you think the coons are small here come bring your dogs ill put you up and show you a good time if you bring your dogs. Im open for the next 2 months just let me know when you want to come. Would love to see your dogs locate and work..and because i think a hog is tougher no need to get pissy buddy..but my offer stands. Come with it..

Good post naustroms, atleast you know what you are talking about. Rippem your stories are great but I think maybe you should hunt your dogs then tell us the stories as they will sound more real. When I read the things you post about hunting it just tells me you are speaking from a lack of experience. Please keep us posted on your hunt this weekend.

Shoebootie, these are not my first terriers nor the first time i hunted.when you say i speak from lack of experience please tell me in wich way? That a ground hog i feel is a better hunt then a coon? If all i wanted to hunt was coon i would just get a coon dog and go out at night and start treeing. And believe me im not trying to be a smart ass to you either bro just would like to know what makes me sound like i lack experience thats all. I dont claim to know it all because i dont. But when i do say something its the truth. And most folks here in the states dont work there dogs but act like they do. We have lots of hogs over by me and anytime this late spring you wanna come over your more then welcome friend. Even if you have time over the next 2 months bring a few dogs over we can take them out and watch them locate and work and have a good time. Ill put you up in a hotel that excepts dogs all on me..we can run through so many barns its not even funny.

Rippem I appreciate the invite but too have lots of land to hunt hogs and access to many of barns as well so no need to travel 8 hrs to hunt as I can hunt 300 acres within a mile of my home. I'll go on and extend the invite if you are looking to travel. What do I mean about lack of experience? Well anyone who post the things you do about coons tells me you have not worked many as I said in my previous post and as far as putting coons in a tree with hounds is of no interest to me. I do know hound guys that say coon don't go to ground another lack of experience on their part. Coon occupy the ground on a regular basis and anyone who says different is speaking from inexperience imo.. We can go back and forth all day on here of which is better game, and im not gonna waste all my time on this. All I say to people when they say things like that is when the tailgate drops the bullshit stops. Like I said keep us posted on your progression I'd like to hear and I'm sure a few others will too.

• Like 2

Deadgame does still hunt. I came up with this name in 1984 when I was 23 years old.

One of my best dogs was a dog named Noah born in 1998 out of Nuttall's Jesse. He was a very good hard dog only 10 inches tall but he had very short legs. He could get anywhere underground and had very intense drive. We froze his semen 18 years ago.

We have used it several times I have some very good dogs out of him and sometimes we get some built like Noah.

They will never win a show but can really move around in groundhog holes.

• Like 2

I just read rippems post comparing groundhogs and coons. I actually agree with him. Some people I hunt with argue with me, but like he said a big coon in a small hole is at a disadvantage. Above ground coons are way tougher than groundhogs.

A big groundhog in a small hole can be very tough. Raccoons are a lot easier to pull out of a hole than a groundhog. I am pretty strong and a 15 pound hog in the right spot is not easy to pull out.