An Afternoon Shooting Over The Germans And A Sea Eagle

MIK

Had an afternoon shooting over the GWPs with a mate who bred my Rab ...he has the dam and sister and it really is a pleasure watching them as they are out 3-4 times a week .

Went into the first bit of ground and were greeted with a young sea eagle on one of my middens it had 2 wing tags and a transmitter attached to its back.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wcGOUQg4pv0

The video doesn't do the shear size of this bird justice ....they have been releasing them in fife for years now ...we don't need a predator of this magnitude in this area but that's another argument..it had move all the pheasies....but was good to see .

Went to another bit of ground and had a crakin hour or so with some double and triple points ...this is is a real enjoyable way of shooting ....Rab is improving greatly and this day out done him a world of good

post-88284-0-20383200-1476250291_thumb.jpg

post-88284-0-18393200-1476250318_thumb.jpg

post-88284-0-04155500-1476250377_thumb.jpg

post-88284-0-50417800-1476250425_thumb.jpg

post-88284-0-38174200-1476250461_thumb.jpg

post-88284-0-11626200-1476250348_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I'm sure I've read that you keeper a few pheasants MIK. I presume for driven shooting? Are these HPR types at all suited to that sort of work? In the beating line I mean. They sound fantastic for a rough shooter and vermin work but I get the impression it'd be a mistake to force them to work close in the beating line.

Anyway, I like the pics and reading the dogs progress.

I used mine in the beating line last year on a place that had big numbers of pheasants and patridges which was more of a learning curve for him to put big numbers of birds in front of him to keep him steady and was basically training sessions just to get him around ,people ,dogs in out vehicles etc ....the lad that bred him picks up 3-4 times a week along with a team of labs and spaniels and I would go as far to say his dogs are some of the best I've seen and the 2 GWP are just that cut above the rest ....it was after seeing the dam work and pulling of some decent finds and retrieves when other dogs have failed that made me decide to give the breed a try ....one things for sure they are very adaptable so will work in whatever situation they are given ...I know I will always have GWPs now

So the sea eagle wing is roughly the size of the buzzards wingspan? That's pretty impressive.

Is it fook!! It's much bigger.

Cracking pics....looks like a good day out.

Might have asked this before( always do with this breed)....is it hard or soft mouthed. I like them as workers...wouldn't mind trying one but the ones I've seen like a crunch. Being a Lab man I'd hate that.

??

So the sea eagle wing is roughly the size of the buzzards wingspan? That's pretty impressive.

Is it fook!! It's much bigger.

Cracking pics....looks like a good day out.

Might have asked this before( always do with this breed)....is it hard or soft mouthed. I like them as workers...wouldn't mind trying one but the ones I've seen like a crunch. Being a Lab man I'd hate that.

I like my pheasants minced lab
  • Like 1

I think it is the 2013 hpr championship DVD I have here. On it is a ftch gwp bitch that is filmed retrieving a grouse. The dog is chewing the bird so much it looks like it is trying to eat the bird. This is a FTCH bitch !. I used to go to a lot of hpr trials and only ever saw 2 gwp, owned by the same woman, that I would want to own.

• Like 1