Marking Rabbit Holes

Pot luck with out a dog the most obvious hole loads of sign can be empty where as a leaf filled one you might walk by will hold.

Just need to find some where with a decent amount to up the odds. Or if your lucky and have a nice hedge row full of holes and you see rabbit there just start at the end and work along.

Bloody hard work around here with out a dog and its nice to have one

• Like 2

A dog that marks of any breed will save alot of time mate.atb dc

Both my dogs are pets that have zero hunting experience . I did think maybe my little one might be a option as shes far more obedient than the other big lump i got . Shes 2 1/2 now and as i said had zero experience . Thought it might be a little late to train her . If i get into ferreting i would be learning myself as im doing it and would also have to teach her which might become a bit of a clusterfuck in the field . Its a thought tho . Im sure she'd learn pretty quick and would love to have a reason to take a dog out with me . Id have to use her just for marking tho i think . Again trying to train her on a rabbit while also train the marking , plus learning the ropes of ferreting might make it a major head job at the beginning for me .

Just for my brain so i get a idea of how it all works . Does basically everybody into ferreting have dogs to mark or is there a few that just do trial and error on the holes

Both my dogs are pets that have zero hunting experience . I did think maybe my little one might be a option as shes far more obedient than the other big lump i got . Shes 2 1/2 now and as i said had zero experience . Thought it might be a little late to train her . If i get into ferreting i would be learning myself as im doing it and would also have to teach her which might become a bit of a clusterfuck in the field . Its a thought tho . Im sure she'd learn pretty quick and would love to have a reason to take a dog out with me . Id have to use her just for marking tho i think . Again trying to train her on a rabbit while also train the marking , plus learning the ropes of ferreting might make it a major head job at the beginning for me .

Just for my brain so i get a idea of how it all works . Does basically everybody into ferreting have dogs to mark or is there a few that just do trial and error on the holes

its never too late all your looking for is a slight indication of a bit of scent just to give you a clue or make a hole stand out.

We got a pet cocker and I took him ferreting with zero training and i mean zero aged 7 or 8. I worked him off a lead as he rushed every where 300mph so you would miss and any indication at a hole.

On a lead I would point at a hole and he would sniff it and I got a rough idea if there was scent. It was better than nothing and he found me some rabbits :thumbs:

11888649463_bf31c073af_c.jpg

12269815004_b3731e4176_c.jpg

11666949715_1b88a478be_c.jpg

being a cocker even a show type he had a natural urge to hunt.

With out him even a hole like this can be empty

16147922405_8578ca2d31_c.jpg

so any dog is better than no dog as long as the ferrets are safe :thumbs:

• Like 2

Any type of a dog that marks occupied burrows is better than no dog at all , its mostly about the time saved . you could be setting nets at a nice scrapped out burrow and there what i would call play hole the rabbits only use them to pass threw . A real smart marking dog seems to recognise the different scents of rabbits and knows if theres still one left in the burrow

• Like 2

its never too late all your looking for is a slight indication of a bit of scent just to give you a clue or make a hole stand out.

We got a pet cocker and I took him ferreting with zero training and i mean zero aged 7 or 8. I worked him off a lead as he rushed every where 300mph so you would miss and any indication at a hole.

On a lead I would point at a hole and he would sniff it and I got a rough idea if there was scent. It was better than nothing and he found me some rabbits :thumbs:

11888649463_bf31c073af_c.jpg

12269815004_b3731e4176_c.jpg

11666949715_1b88a478be_c.jpg

being a cocker even a show type he had a natural urge to hunt.

With out him even a hole like this can be empty

16147922405_8578ca2d31_c.jpg

so any dog is better than no dog as long as the ferrets are safe :thumbs:

Thats good to know . Cheers for that . A major step for me will be the integration of the ferrets and the dogs . 1 of my dogs is a huge lump so i need to carefully plan my integration with him and the ferrets . 1 Slammed paw on their back and it could be curtains or start a chain reaction i dont want

I ferret with a mate who had a cocker with zero experience. We soon learnt what the dogs marks were, and he saved us alot of wasted time ferreting empty burrows. Most hunting type dogs will get the hang of it , no matter what their age

Mines not a hunting type dog but I'll see if I can work some kind of angle to get her to learn it

I wouldnt waste my time going without a dog we hunt over 4000 achers of fell, limestone, dry stone walls etc it would take forever netting up some of these big setts for possibly nothing to be at home, a dog certainly does help 76FFDBDD-78A5-40B3-BB69-A3D74EE81EC4_zps no mistaking this mark

• Like 4