Anyone Use Spaniels ?

jcm

Some lads I know had a Wheaton springer cross, you never would have guessed there was Wheaton in it, worked like a spaniel, never missed anything

Most wheatons are deadly in cover with good noses....recall ain't great though....

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Exactly the reason I got a spaniel cross mate. Was looking for a full spaniel to be honest but this bitch came up needing a home so took a chance on her and glad I did.   I've not seen many spaniel

Bought a sprocker at 4 months old, treated it like a terrier and it was a nightmare, couldn't get focus or obedience at all, tried to catch birds in the field and went death to my calls, went on the g

My pup.

Posted Images

Any of you guys use pure bred spanials to hunt and work along side lurchers.

reason I'm asking is a pal of mine has just bought a springer to wrk along side his lurchers and his Harris hawk.

I'v never seen one work in the flesh but I'm realy thinking of getting one next year to run with my terrier to flush to the lurchers.

I'd like to hear from some people who work them this way good and bad points about livening with them and working them.

Cheers jcm

My little bitch spot on mate. my lurcher gets lots of runs

post-99100-0-31434700-1476252102_thumb.png

• Like 3

Thanks for the replays lads, the more a watch clips of them and read up about them the more I'm wanting one.

Concentrate on my lurcher pup this year get some stuff sorted and I'll most defenatly get one in the next year or two

Guest foxpack

I have used plenty of failed or gun shy spaniels for foxing .1 dog we had was awesome at finding them.was obsessed .bit big .but would batter through cover like a steam train .game with them as well.

• Like 2

Bought a sprocker at 4 months old, treated it like a terrier and it was a nightmare, couldn't get focus or obedience at all, tried to catch birds in the field and went death to my calls, went on the gun dog section and a lot said shouldn't have bought it at that age and you were told not to ,get rid , went to see a gun dog trainer read books and watched DVDs on training and now at 16 months she's worth every hour I've put into her, only taken her hunting once with the lurchers so far but what a buzz , I've been working terriers and lurchers for nearly 30 years and gone back to mouching, I've replaced earth work for spaniels which was so hard to do but I am actually getting the same buzz out of it all

• Like 5

Bought a sprocker at 4 months old, treated it like a terrier and it was a nightmare, couldn't get focus or obedience at all, tried to catch birds in the field and went death to my calls, went on the gun dog section and a lot said shouldn't have bought it at that age and you were told not to ,get rid , went to see a gun dog trainer read books and watched DVDs on training and now at 16 months she's worth every hour I've put into her, only taken her hunting once with the lurchers so far but what a buzz , I've been working terriers and lurchers for nearly 30 years and gone back to mouching, I've replaced earth work for spaniels which was so hard to do but I am actually getting the same buzz out of it all

I'd imagine that if you don't keep on top of them they would be a nightmare

• Like 1

I have used plenty of failed or gun shy spaniels for foxing .1 dog we had was awesome at finding them.was obsessed .bit big .but would batter through cover like a steam train .game with them as well.

Something like that would be ideal for me

Question for you fox pack.... Why don't you run a pack of spaniels on fox instead of running x's ?????

surely if they where as good as people say we'd all be running them including yourself.

Personally I think they got a lot to offer a purpose bred busher but there no finished article!!!

Edited by FKOF
Guest foxpack

I was younger at the time of owning failed gundog spaniels as my dad was breeding top drawer 1.s at the time and in with a lot of other gundog men including keepers .so any that where doomed I would try out.there were grand for mooching about just with a couple of lads.doing small patches .whitegrass areas .Marsh land.but I never owned 1,that would follow on a fox .just break him out.hunt on a bit.start again.now over last 20 years we have done fox drives.bigger spots etc.and we have tried straight spaniels amongst our pack over years .but again they don't hunt far enough away from you in big woods.open land etc.

• Like 3