Anyone Use Spaniels ?

jcm

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Exactly the reason I got a spaniel cross mate. Was looking for a full spaniel to be honest but this bitch came up needing a home so took a chance on her and glad I did.   I've not seen many spaniel

Bought a sprocker at 4 months old, treated it like a terrier and it was a nightmare, couldn't get focus or obedience at all, tried to catch birds in the field and went death to my calls, went on the g

My pup.

Posted Images

Just to add. Again mine isn't full spaniel, but she is very steady around the house and in the kennel. Never makes a peep unless someone comes into my garden and she goes ape. Very good watch dog and handy to have in the kennel. This could be down to the bull but I've read the spaniels are also decent watch dogs.

She's in the house just now chilling with the brindle bitch. Different dog to when in the field. I've spoke to people with spaniels and they say the same as long as the dog gets enough work...

FC57AFD2-E30E-4519-B865-1DCC6D7C82A4_zps

• Like 2

Anybody concerned about spaniels being too dependent on human direction needn't be. Those dogs are raised that way, it becomes second nature for them to keep close and regularly look to their handler. If raised to hunt more freely they will and with determination!

Hell, half the the spaniels that are supposed to stay close will c**t a drive up in under 30 seconds! LOL.

I couldn't think of a better breed for knocking out thorny coverts, thick set-a-sides and big hedges, typical bushing stuff.

Has anyone got any clips or anything of there spanial working.

One of my main reasons I want a spaniel in is that my terrier is always dropping to ground and finding in a hole and I'm not a digging man and have no interest in it.

I want another busher as my terrier is a decent dog but we do some big woods etc and basically another dog would help

Exactly the reason I got a spaniel cross mate. Was looking for a full spaniel to be honest but this bitch came up needing a home so took a chance on her and glad I did.

I've not seen many spaniels bushing, only seen them working on shoots. But Socks off here sent me a few clips of his spaniel and other spaniels working and I would say mine works in a similar manner.

Never stops in the field for a second. It's amazing to watch and you keep asking yourself where the energy comes from. Their nose is something else. I thought my lurchers had good noses. Nothing compared to this bitch and she's only half spaniel (half bull).

Mine will work on command like the ones you mentioned and when she's working on command she does keep looking for direction. I see this a lot when we are doing retrieve work. She looks to me for hand signals to indicate where the dummy is etc.

But I can just as easily tell her to get on and she will go off working on her own.

Big difference for me is the terriers work for themselves, the spaniels work for you - and it's much better. Not knocking the terriers, they do a job and do it well but for controlled bushing I won't look past the spaniels or crosses again.

Gaz you know your self about terriers going to ground is a nightmare when you are knocking free woods out.

I like that the spaniels can cover large amounts of ground fairly quick iv never seen one go in the flesh and I'd want one to work without many hand signals but I do like the idea of being able to send the into where you like as my terrier will not go where I tell him and works for himself but I'm not knocking him because if I never had him my walks wouldn't be as much fun nor would I see much gear either.

I took my pal to pick up a springer bitch and I wanted one from the litter as soon as I seen them but with just getting a lurcher pup in it's not the right time for me plus I need to knock up a kennel next year for one to go into.

Anybody concerned about spaniels being too dependent on human direction needn't be. Those dogs are raised that way, it becomes second nature for them to keep close and regularly look to their handler. If raised to hunt more freely they will and with determination!

Hell, half the the spaniels that are supposed to stay close will c**t a drive up in under 30 seconds! LOL.

I couldn't think of a better breed for knocking out thorny coverts, thick set-a-sides and big hedges, typical bushing stuff.

Thanks for that as that was my main concern about them I dont like a dog to depended on the human.

I like a dog with a brain to work things out for them selfs

Thanks for that as that was my main concern about them I dont like a dog to depended on the human.

I like a dog with a brain to work things out for them selfs

They'll hunt like f**k given the chance to many a keeper and head beaters despair! You don't have to worry about the tapped fuckers free hunting! :laugh:;)

Edited by Born Hunter

I don't think you will go wrong with a spaniel mate. If you kennel it on its own from young I don't see why it should be any different to any other dog.

How old would a pup be to put it in a kennel ??

I work spaniels and one of them [troy] will readily mix it with a fox whereas the other will flush one but wouldn't touch one I kennel mine the day I get them 7-8 weeks ps the "stop" command is vital with springers /cockers and comes into play if a fox /hare was to go over a busy road /railway etc and mine will stop with the whistle even if only a few feet from quarry .,they would be a great addition to any lurcher /terrier team if trained right

• Like 1

I don't think you will go wrong with a spaniel mate. If you kennel it on its own from young I don't see why it should be any different to any other dog.

How old would a pup be to put it in a kennel ??

Mine have always gone straight out. Plenty of bedding and a big meaty bone. Start as you mean to go on...

Brindle bitch was 6 weeks...

96D94B57-3BE7-41C2-A4A0-7A7A9F6E1F81-973

I work spaniels and one of them [troy] will readily mix it with a fox whereas the other will flush one but wouldn't touch one I kennel mine the day I get them 7-8 weeks ps the "stop" command is vital with springers /cockers and comes into play if a fox /hare was to go over a busy road /railway etc and mine will stop with the whistle even if only a few feet from quarry .,they would be a great addition to any lurcher /terrier team if trained right

Cheers for that, I'd have one to a whistle and the stop stay command etc

Just to add. Again mine isn't full spaniel, but she is very steady around the house and in the kennel. Never makes a peep unless someone comes into my garden and she goes ape. Very good watch dog and handy to have in the kennel. This could be down to the bull but I've read the spaniels are also decent watch dogs.

She's in the house just now chilling with the brindle bitch. Different dog to when in the field. I've spoke to people with spaniels and they say the same as long as the dog gets enough work...FC57AFD2-E30E-4519-B865-1DCC6D7C82A4_zps

is there any room on there for one of her sisters gaz in two minds with black an tan bitch,got too much work on and she needs abit more time putting in to her

I would love to say yes mate and give her some work here but I've got my hands full for the time being. Hope you find her a good home if you do decide to rehome her.