Who Keeps Quail??

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And now the work starts, although they are easier than pheasants, [ a soon as they are out of the shell all they want to do is die ] i once did a couple of hundred in a incubator and one of the kids o

I think mine liked the fact they where just left alone.and that they couldn't see outside people going past dogs ect.there's windows and plenty of light but high walls.i have shavings floor,few small

I know they taste nice,lol but so do bantams eggs and they are easier to keep.

Chicks hatched over the weekend. Fantastic hatch rate and fertility from a seller on ebay.really pleased and couldn't recommend the seller enough. I've ended up with around 240 chicks from 300 eggs

Sent you a pm max but don't think you've seen it, what ebayer did you use? I'm wanting a few more eggs from a different breeder.

• 1 month later...

I have a pair of Chinese painted quail in my aviary and the hen bird has decided to go broody and is sitting tight on four eggs.

Really chuffed with her any one else had any luck with them going broody.

Folk will tell you they wont breed but they will.

Make sure they have soft soaked food from the start and if your wire mesh goes to the floor you might want to stop them getting out through it as they'll fit through 1/2 " mesh.

• Like 1

I have a pair of Chinese painted quail in my aviary and the hen bird has decided to go broody and is sitting tight on four eggs.

Really chuffed with her any one else had any luck with them going broody.

Not sure about CPQ but Coturnix apparently very rarely go broody.

Because of generations of being hatched in incubators some species of birds have nearly lost all mothering instinct.

A big pity IMO and if I was serious about a certain species I'd definitely be trying for natural hatching.

Gamefowl are going down the same route. Years ago gamekeepers appreciated the mothering instinct of the game hen but now most game fowl are hatched out artificially.

Personally I breed mine as nature intended.

The Gouldian finch is another example. Fanciers use Bengalese hens to hatch and rear their Gouldians.

• Like 2
Guest Navek

When it comes to gamefowl I used incubator for one hatch and had hatch of a broody , I'd go for broody every time now . Get a good silkie cross and get them hatched out natural

When it comes to gamefowl I used incubator for one hatch and had hatch of a broody , I'd go for broody every time now . Get a good silkie cross and get them hatched out natural

Do the chicks have as high as survival rates under a broody? I won't be using a broody hen for my quail because I don't want to keep chickens.
Guest Navek

I think chicks reAred by a hen are less prone to illness than incubator chicks , that's just my opinion tho , the hen weeds out and sick and I'll chicks and just find the chicks to be of a better standard than incubator chicks . From the moment they pop out of the shell there in the inciroment that they will be living in where as incubator chicks are in a cleaned incubator then in to a brooder box /pen then in to the outdoors , . Start as thee mean to go on