Stalking In A Short While

Hello,

I am new the site, and new to UK stalking, but hunt regularly here in the U.S. I have arranged a Red Stag stalk out of Pitlochry on the 10th, and have already paid my way, but have yet to hear about any of the particulars. I am familiar somewhat with the technique. I will follow a stalker around until he gets me in position to shoot a stag. I don't know what I'll be shooting (using his gun), the caliber used, or approximate distance. It will be a cull animal, so I'm guessing around 150# or more, perhaps a 243, 6.5x55, or 308, and somewhere around 200 yards. I've hunted with a rifle quite a bit, but prefer bow hunting, so I am used to getting closer. I have practiced regularly out to 400 yards, and anticipating it will probably be raining and windy.

Is there anything else anyone can tell me about what to expect? I was told I could shoot two in one day, and they seemed a little incredulous that I thought I may not see anything. When I hunt here, we surely don't count on a successful hunt with only one day of hunting. Game numbers are not very dense where we hunt. Are there just that many stags, or are they simply that reckless this time of the year (rut). I was also assured they were wild animals. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_0120_zpsshjhoxga.jpg

I know one thing my friend. You will be totally blown away with the scenery and environment at and in Pitlochry. It is just the most beautiful place. Make sure you visit the Edradour distillery and of course the salmon ladders. Don't miss them pal. Oh. Your original post. If you don't get your stag then the guides need a new job. Mate you will be astounded. Good luck, a safe and happy trip and most of all a good stalk. Don't forget the bins and albeit late in the year, the mosquito repellent. Jok.

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments. I intend to keep you abreast. We even might film it, though I am a pure novice and even though we hunt quite a bit yearly, have never done anything like it. I'm lucky to document my hunts with a shot of the animal in the back of the pickup.

IMG_20160414_153718986_HDR_zps9gyktv6k.j

IMG_20151205_171659911_zpsjy9jcufv.jpg

This is my 16 year old. Got a nice 3 year old last year. I have not gotten him into bow hunting yet. Too much time commitment.

• Like 1

Being a small island here the deer are concentrated mate with no vast tracts to disperse in like your Continent.Scotland has a huge deer population in relation to its size and as said ,any stalker will get you on deer its just whether its shootable or not .You will love it mate ,been to Pitlochry and its stunning .

• Like 2

For me to make the stand, it had to be simple. 6x8 foot platform has 4x4 on the periphery. The corners have this...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Maverick-Blinds-Nex-Level-Platform-Mounts-Four-Pack/1896194.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FCQ_page%3D20%26CQ_search%3Dtower%26CQ_st%3Db%26categoryId%3D734095080

10 foot 4x4s with simple braces. There were no plans, I just wanted to support that shell blind I had. It is rather heavy, and is stable in our heavy storms.