Lurchers For Hunting Hill......anyone??

i like this type of hunting also, only problem is mine is a b*****d for the woolys :censored: shame really because he can really use his nose

I feel your pain lol

i like this type of hunting also, only problem is mine is a b*****d for the woolys :censored: shame really because he can really use his nose

That's one thing dogs have to me 100% trust worthy they are working out of sight a lot of the time ! Iv watched mine from a distance working straight through sheep, there's a different between being good with sheep and being comfortable around them

Yes got mine to a point where he avoids them and is safe but his not comfy around them and nor am i . Hopefully in time now that will change as we go incident free. Took a line straight through them the other day and they didn't register. But he has a lot of bridges to build and i trust him bout far as i can throw him so no hills for us lol.

• Like 1

There definatly a difference between the sheep on the fells and in the grass fields. Some dogs that are bomb proof lamping ferreting in the fields aren't always bomb proof on the fells. With my pup I make sure I can trust her around both.

I'm not sure if there a smell about the fell sheep or that they can sometimes surprise dogs coming out of bracken etc I'm not sure. But I definatly treat them both different in my training as where we hunt need them 100% broke in. So far so good.

969C2AC0-6238-466C-9C38-9E87711735B8_zps

00F377FD-27DF-49B8-8011-ABB11CD72176_zps

• Like 4

There definatly a difference between the sheep on the fells and in the grass fields. Some dogs that are bomb proof lamping ferreting in the fields aren't always bomb proof on the fells. With my pup I make sure I can trust her around both.

I'm not sure if there a smell about the fell sheep or that they can sometimes surprise dogs coming out of bracken etc I'm not sure. But I definatly treat them both different in my training as where we hunt need them 100% broke in. So far so good.

totally agree bud! i dont know what it is but those little hill ewes test a lurcher to his limits!

mine have to be spot on as i run mine to a pack of hounds so i have to trust if they are slipped and miss, and the quarry makes the cover i have to trust them to stay steady when the huntsman is hiking on hounds in the dense cover.

atb

• Like 1

Odd you boys say that, I know she's no runner but my young cocker/terrier bitch is smack on in closed fields with stock wont even look at them . Weekend just gone out on open hill she took a B line for one of last years lambs running it to the ground about 600 meters across open ground before i could get to her! I wouldn't have had a leg to stand on if the stock owner happened to be watching! Wont make that mistake twice that's for sure! E Collar back on for a refresher course i think.

the cds with the lurchers catching foxes in the day, i quite liked it had the dogs covering lot of ground, the dogs were colliexs with drop of bull in them, think they were both bitches. the dogs got to be bomb proof out on them hills with the sheep dotted about up there, and alot are either black or dark in colour , not like white boring meadow sheep .lol suppose if you broke your pup or dogs to them hill sheep 1st, then any other sheep and terrain's should be quite easy, but the other way round like been said some dogs could loose there marbles up there and end well out of control .

I had a six year old dog which i considered bomb proof with sheep. Took it up on the fells and it took off after one. I couldn't believe it. As you say maybe fell sheep smell different.

• Like 1

I total'y agree frankel, i have seen many dogs that were broke to low land sheep chase hill sheep . i was speaking to a butcher a few years back who had been butchering lamb and he said that the meat from different breeds of lamb would have different smells.

i often wonder was this what was causing the dogs to chase hill sheep.

what ever causes it, it has sent many's a good dog to dog'y heaven long before they were due.

And as for a dog for hunting the hill and moors G.W.Pointer cross every time, not being biased or anything :laugh:

• Like 1

I total'y agree frankel, i have seen many dogs that were broke to low land sheep chase hill sheep . i was speaking to a butcher a few years back who had been butchering lamb and he said that the meat from different breeds of lamb would have different smells.

i often wonder was this what was causing the dogs to chase hill sheep.

what ever causes it, it has sent many's a good dog to dog'y heaven long before they were due.

And as for a dog for hunting the hill and moors G.W.Pointer cross every time, not being biased or anything :laugh:

Iv definitely thought about the gwp X a few times and a cross I will try one day I think it would definitely do well on the ground I work !! Love to see one in the flesh working

Once she finished looking at them like that did she just carry on her way I assume or did you call her in ? My dog used to look at them like that but it was because he was weighing up his options. He doesn't do it any more though

Once she finished looking at them like that did she just carry on her way I assume or did you call her in ? My dog used to look at them like that but it was because he was weighing up his options. He doesn't do it any more though

just left her, I trust her as she has been ok so far. And been around plenty as always on the fells.
  • Like 1

German wire haired pointers range quite a bit ,so I'd assume their crosses would do it to a degree.

I'd assume also comes down to their trainingvas most would call back in if they range to far ,but working the hills you want them further.