Intresting

I know a few lads that have good yards of terriers but they're tortured with this problem of dogs hoking in empty places. Ive told them and they know it's their own fault. Every time they run a fox into a bank with the hounds a terriers lifted from the van or jeep and brought down and dropped where the fox has entered so basically them dogs from a young age never really apart from the rare occasion get to check empty spots, so they more or less have it in their head that there's a hunt in every hole. Surely their nose tells them different but their heads are saying no he's in here somewhere!

Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If there's something at home mine always looks up and winks at me!

Mine go back to truck for the digging gear

Despite what we think we smell and what an earth looks like, a terrier knows the difference between scent of an animal been and gone and a live animal still moving and breathing within the earth. My e

Nothing is 100% with terriers, its all about the trust you have for your dog and knowing the dog and how it works, acts around earths etc etc.

Neil youve been at it a lot longer than me and what youre saying does make sense. But thats just the way Ive seen it done and the way I like to do it. When on big old places with plenty of holes I 'll leave the dog off and let them do theyre own thing but the majority of average earths I'll see if the dog marks on the lead etc. first.

We always walked to earths with dogs on lead then Unclipped to let him check the holes on his own, don't expect any mucking around the dog got a go if it's there or not if nobody at home

90% of the time I'm out alone and only have one earth dog with me so she's loose with collar on from get go, on 3 different occasions last year after checking known dens, which looked active but dog was not interested, she instead found and entered previously unknown dens within a couple of hundred yards from known dens, small dens not very big or deep but without the dog they did not look active and would not have been found. If dog not free running for me I would not get half the digs I get.
would be near same for me in the last eight years or so, dog had to hunt it to get it to ground ,usually in earth I knew or could be gone in another not known or looking like it used .dangerous heart ticking work and mind but just way had do things alone and to get , or be fk all a lot

We always walked to earths with dogs on lead then Unclipped to let him check the holes on his own, don't expect any mucking around the dog got a go if it's there or not if nobody at home

90% of the time I'm out alone and only have one earth dog with me so she's loose with collar on from get go, on 3 different occasions last year after checking known dens, which looked active but dog was not interested, she instead found and entered previously unknown dens within a couple of hundred yards from known dens, small dens not very big or deep but without the dog they did not look active and would not have been found. If dog not free running for me I would not get half the digs I get.

yes Mary, but you don't expect your dog to be in and out like a yoyo and kunt about, it should be able to use its nose and follow a scent that's fresh or if no scent the dog should come away, a quick sniff shows a dog enough to enter or not, if no scent around the Earth the dog should come away on its own, or move up the hedge looking for more

yes Mary, but you don't expect your dog to be in and out like a yoyo and kunt about, it should be able to use its nose and follow a scent that's fresh or if no scent the dog should come away, a quick sniff shows a dog enough to enter or not, if no scent around the Earth the dog should come away on its own, or move up the hedge looking for more

Who mentioned a terrier going in and out like a yo yo and acting the c**t ???????

That's what a second rate terrier does.

You mention a fresh scent or no scent at all. Any terrier, even a youngster, should know the difference.

What I'm talking about is turning your young terrier into a worker that will find quarry in the biggest places by LOOKING for scent and finding it's quarry.

Anyone can have a terrier that can follow a scent from the entrance to the quarry itself. That's child play in the terrier world.

Whether they decide to stay after that is up to them, but if they don't find in the first place there's no dig going to happen.

Nothing is 100% with terriers, its all about the trust you have for your dog and knowing the dog and how it works, acts around earths etc etc.

Neil youve been at it a lot longer than me and what youre saying does make sense. But thats just the way Ive seen it done and the way I like to do it. When on big old places with plenty of holes I 'll leave the dog off and let them do theyre own thing but the majority of average earths I'll see if the dog marks on the lead etc. first.

If you have good terriers and are letting them off to do their own thing then you're probably not missing much.

Although we love to talk about the old days and the way we seen things done if most of us stuck with the old methods then we'd be stuck in the 70s and 80s and THAT would not be good for terrierwork.

Who mentioned a terrier going in and out like a yo yo and acting the c**t ???????

That's what a second rate terrier does.

You mention a fresh scent or no scent at all. Any terrier, even a youngster, should know the difference.

What I'm talking about is turning your young terrier into a worker that will find quarry in the biggest places by LOOKING for scent and finding it's quarry.

Anyone can have a terrier that can follow a scent from the entrance to the quarry itself. That's child play in the terrier world.

Whether they decide to stay after that is up to them, but if they don't find in the first place there's no dig going to happen.

i get what your saying Neil, but we didn't really hunt with hounds, so the dog was pegged up young listening to a dog working below, tasting the scent, smelling the scent, listening to the work below, before getting a look or rag at the end, most we used were off the lead collared up and checked them selves, but there's nothing worse than a terrier that won't come away after checking and nothing a home, everybody is different, but most of ours didn't run empty earths, they knew they were empty by sniffing at the entrances

My dogs , I'd bring two usually if out for the day , but never be to ground or run a earth together and certainly don't egg each other on, have and would drag me to a earth the either know there area and keen but after that be only mad pulling to it if real hot scent or one most likely in there, the won't budge and no coming off , unless some else can happen unknown, no one knows everything. Had big choc dog used do good and ways but had bit of bad trait after time and tally of coming out or working ,hunting ditch off , and for mistake to

Pablo, I don't understand most of your gibberish but I recognised the words "egg on" and that to me is a big secret to entering pups.

Pups should never be egged on, they should do everything naturally.

Some youngsters are slower than other but there's other ways of tricking them into waking up other than egging them on.

• Like 1

What I mean if you had a dog tried to ground and the other on the lead or tied up be distracting him or egging it on to go to ground or look . seen it with shit dogs in the past and probably a routine or dogs just wasn't complete , cowards , bad noses , etc . some might be jumping tied up to go , but shit when comes to start to finish .

What i cant get my head round Neil ,and i like your posts in general ,is that how the hell do you get a dog to enter an unused place in the first instance .I never have although ive never encouraged it but i would be wondering about the dog that enters then says its empty .Is he doing it to please you rather than himself by marking at a holding spot .Ive never owned a dog that wont mark in its own way nor have i owned a dog that will run a place just because youve told it to or egged it on [which is probably the correct context for this practice in the first place to create a waffler lol]

• Like 5

What i cant get my head round Neil ,and i like your posts in general ,is that how the hell do you get a dog to enter an unused place in the first instance .I never have although ive never encouraged it but i would be wondering about the dog that enters then says its empty .Is he doing it to please you rather than himself by marking at a holding spot .Ive never owned a dog that wont mark in its own way nor have i owned a dog that will run a place just because youve told it to or egged it on [which is probably the correct context for this practice in the first place to create a waffler lol]

exactly, the dog Goya be trusted and if it's a youngen that says no then we always let a veteran check after to see if he's telling the truth, it soon clicks
  • Like 2

exactly mine won't enter if there's no fox in.
  • Like 2

I have asked this many times...how do you get a dog to enter an empty burrow if you are not egging it on as they say even a pup?

I have been out many a days and checked maybe 30 burrows and got nothing... the terrier may have only run 3 burrows that day which to mean means out of 3 of the 30 burrows quarry has passed through it in the last 48 hours but its not home right now and its worth a checking in the next few days and see if you catch him home... Now from a pup when ready to enter ill collar up a young dog and let him tell me whats home... if he travels on a fresh scent and says no... ill go back to vehicle get an older dog and check with him and he says no... after a while you will know your pup has brains and a nose and will not travel a hole that's empty and has NO scent... but when hes dropped into 17/20 and you have 17 digs 3 burrows he has travelled but didn't speak surely he starts to tell you this wee dog/bitch knows the game?

• Like 2