Whippet X Deerhound

its across i would like to try obviously using the right type of working parents,there has been acouple of litters advertised on here over the years,there was a lad from cheshire on here afew weeks ago with alitter for sale,i would think they would make an intresting cross,another lad hadsome in ireland a few years ago.

• Like 1

I mentioned this exact cross a couple of years ago, and got shot down in flames as a dreamer etc, by hot meat and a few others on here.

Ah well lol :thumbs:

And I still reckon that it would be far superior if greys were included in the breeding

Maybe a DH cross Grew, keep us all happy.

• Like 2

Lurcher men tare always optimistic, they think by blending two or more breeds the best of each breeds characteristics will show in the pups. Think pessimistic :no: , the opposite is often true ====deer/whippet pups might be yappy in the course and have slow take off speed. I had a collie/grey which had the intelligence of a greyhound and the slowness of a collie. :yes: How many half cross bull/greys are too heavy and don't have the courage of a bull terrier. the majority I'd say. But then I'm a Victor Meldrew sort of guy. :no:

• Like 1

Lurcher men tare always optimistic, they think by blending two or more breeds the best of each breeds characteristics will show in the pups. Think pessimistic :no: , the opposite is often true ====deer/whippet pups might be yappy in the course and have slow take off speed. I had a collie/grey which had the intelligence of a greyhound and the slowness of a collie. :yes: How many half cross bull/greys are too heavy and don't have the courage of a bull terrier. the majority I'd say. But then I'm a Victor Meldrew sort of guy. :no:

The less breeds the more chance of predicting the litter. None will be slow by any means

Deerhounds when bred properly are like tougher greyhounds, better feet coat etc

And abit slower but more stamina.

Everyone moans about whippet grey have brittle feet, too fast, not enough stamina shit coat etc...so surely breeding deer x whippet would make a more useful whippet gry? If u catch my drift....

Edited by Somewhereyournot

only problem I could see is the unpredictability in terms of which way it would throw. Ideally a 25" dog would be great but I imagine it might go one way or the other and then you would lose the benefits of the other dog in the cross.. maybe but.... you never know with running dogs! I will all ways stick to the lurchers I think,

never seen one of this cross, but i used to know an old boy who had a deer/whippet in the 70s and he said it was one of the best all rounders he ever saw; however when he took a litter off a greyhound bitch there were some tiny weedy little things and one giant in the litter.