Strange Looking Rabbit

just nipped out with the dogs to my local walk, Bryn started to mark a thick edge , then run to the side of hedge.Then rabbit bolted other side,Buck went flat out after it and got it 20 yds towards the other end. never seen one this color before, seem light browns and black ones but nothing like this. i just skinned+ gutted it, nice clean rabbit, so thats there dinner tonight .I caught me mole as well, and had nice day at the midland game fair with great lad of the site , so all in all great day .

DSCN0710_zpsjuqooltq.jpg

DSCN0712_zps38typ7xe.jpg

DSCN0709_zpslxfn07tj.jpg

• Like 6

I can't believe you let that rabbit I won in the game fair go for the dogs Ray I thought it was going to a good home that's your last Enjoyable day thanks pal and tell the Mrs thanks again for the breakfast and making me welcome

yeh thought you got a goldfish as well lol , great day mate :thumbs: , glad you enjoyed the day :thumbs:

Throw back or cross of a domestic? See quite a few pure white and solid black ones at one place i visit. Not sure if its a shallow gene pool causing normally rare mutations to occur more frequently or maybe because people dump pet ones there from time to time. Seen very light brown ones but never a...brindle? One like that

• Like 1

Throw back or cross of a domestic? See quite a few pure white and solid black ones at one place i visit. Not sure if its a shallow gene pool causing normally rare mutations to occur more frequently or maybe because people dump pet ones there from time to time. Seen very light brown ones but never a...brindle? One like that

yeh seen few light brown, and black ones , maybe it was a throw back from domestic one , from as you say, both will breed with each other

Ray looks a brindle ,rabbit all the same no doubt domesticated blood running through it. We have similiar local brown with white Dutch pattern types some locals released some whites go some yrs back. That rabbits wild and a will taste equally has good has a normal lol has fa the mole bin it.atb bunnys.

Ray looks a brindle ,rabbit all the same no doubt domesticated blood running through it. We have similiar local brown with white Dutch pattern types some locals released some whites go some yrs back. That rabbits wild and a will taste equally has good has a normal lol has fa the mole bin it.atb bunnys.

Ive seen a few of them with the dutch rabbit markings there wild rabbits i read somewere that a mutation of the skin or something like that makes them that color

Ha ha ha that's what they call a harlequin rabbit it's a breed of domestic rabbit my mate used to breed them I bet some bigger loosed it or it go out either way he's in a stew pot now let me know what it taiste like Ray ha ha ha

Loads people dumping animals when kids get bored or they can't afford new housing,ferrets,rabbits, guineapigs they either starve or end up as food for a bop or fox.

My dogs marked an upturned sheep feeder a few years back, expecting a rat or rabbit I whipped it over. About 7 or 8 guinea pigs underneath it.

Dogs killed 3 before I leaded them up. I shooed the guinea pigs to the cover of the nearby hedge but I doubt they survived much longer.

Cheers, D.

• Like 1

just nipped out with the dogs to my local walk, Bryn started to mark a thick edge , then run to the side of hedge.Then rabbit bolted other side,Buck went flat out after it and got it 20 yds towards the other end. never seen one this color before, seem light browns and black ones but nothing like this. i just skinned+ gutted it, nice clean rabbit, so thats there dinner tonight .I caught me mole as well, and had nice day at the midland game fair with great lad of the site , so all in all great day .

DSCN0710_zpsjuqooltq.jpg

DSCN0712_zps38typ7xe.jpg

DSCN0709_zpslxfn07tj.jpg

Most of the rabbits I raise look like this.

005_zpst0vtjw3z.jpg

Edited by Mickey Finn
  • 1 month later...

Lamping about 25+ years ago my dog got a large blue buck, reckon he was a freak,as I hunted the ground for years and never saw any other odd rabbits. However another place had a variety of colours,hunting this place I got a few pure whites over the years ferreting and lamping, saw the odd black, there was a golden coloured one which I saw a few times over a couple of years. I worked nights opposite this place , in the grounds where I worked there were a couple of black and tan rabbits for a few years, they were quite bold as they weren't hunted.

The place I hunt now has dutch coloured rabbits, however the farmer doesnt want them killed so we release any caught when ferreting. One of these rabbits we marked and caught it again the following winter! the farmer told us it was also caught by others ferreting. Obviously a bunny with a death wish.