Welcome To Gods Country ...."tanner"

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a few of you may know Gaz has sent the little plummer "Tanner" down here to Wales because of her tendency to drop to ground.   My good pal Wales123 off here took me up to the midlands to collect

for any one interested lads........   i took tanner out for a few hours yesterday, i started the morning using her to flush pheasents off some swede fields so i could get a brace for tea. ounce t h

like i said on another post......dont put much on here any more....sort of a damned if you do damned if you dont situation. but for any one who cares.....the bitch isnt in pup, and i will guarantee an

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

As a few of you may know Gaz has sent the little plummer "Tanner" down here to Wales because of her tendency to drop to ground.

My good pal Wales123 off here took me up to the midlands to collect the bitch yesterday, a six hour round trip and this is after we had been for an early morning mooch with the lurchers so just shows there are some real genuine lads left in this game.

my plan was to settle her in , get a bond going and then start taking her out with the hounds but im an impatient f****r so as soon as we got back i just had to take her out on the hill to see what she was about. Such a funny little dog as she is as steady as a rock! a real happy go lucky little bitch.

i was out with a mate of mine with his old lurcher "Bess" and as we walked off the hill into the trees we found the old mutt biting at a small earth. now this bitch will only mark one quarry so i had no doubt what was home. so here we are, out on the hill , one being marked to ground, and all i had with me was one of those useless plummers that i have read so much about on here, and she has only been with me for less than three hours.

but im an optimist......a real "glass half full" type of fellow so i hussed her in. long story short she was a little unsure after her first meeting with old red but with a little encouragement she stuck to, settled into her stride and bayed her head off. i left her to it for a while before getting the banjo out and opening up to her working a nice fiery vixen at a depth of...........12 inches lol

one swallow certainly doesnt make a summer and although im an optimist im also a realist, and its a long hard season for the terriers in my kennel so we will see if she is still there at the end!!!

atb

As a few of you may know Gaz has sent the little plummer "Tanner" down here to Wales because of her tendency to drop to ground.

My good pal Wales123 off here took me up to the midlands to collect the bitch yesterday, a six hour round trip and this is after we had been for an early morning mooch with the lurchers so just shows there are some real genuine lads left in this game.

my plan was to settle her in , get a bond going and then start taking her out with the hounds but im an impatient f****r so as soon as we got back i just had to take her out on the hill to see what she was about. Such a funny little dog as she is as steady as a rock! a real happy go lucky little bitch.

i was out with a mate of mine with his old lurcher "Bess" and as we walked off the hill into the trees we found the old mutt biting at a small earth. now this bitch will only mark one quarry so i had no doubt what was home. so here we are, out on the hill , one being marked to ground, and all i had with me was one of those useless plummers that i have read so much about on here, and she has only been with me for less than three hours.

but im an optimist......a real "glass half full" type of fellow so i hussed her in. long story short she was a little unsure after her first meeting with old red but with a little encouragement she stuck to, settled into her stride and bayed her head off. i left her to it for a while before getting the banjo out and opening up to her working a nice fiery vixen at a depth of...........12 inches lol

one swallow certainly doesnt make a summer and although im an optimist im also a realist, and its a long hard season for the terriers in my kennel so we will see if she is still there at the end!!!

atb

great to see you digging to a Plummer terrier . I've got 2 male plummer terriers that work below ground . Can't fault you my frend.
  • Like 1

Hi mate, yeh well over a year ago we did one of Liam's perms, hence one of the photos. I don't think Peter has his Plummers now. Not sure to be honest but I think he parted with them. A pup he had off me (Samson) ended up with Steve Parfitt. I love the ratting. We are trying to build up our perm' right now, knocking on farms etc. Do you know Jamie Smith, also from Stoke? We do a lot of ratting/rabbiting together but he's more into the digging and his lurchers. He's a belting dog man and good mate of mine. ( Trojan Plummers ).

Gwalchmai...........I'm so pleased that you have Tanner and that you're bringing her on so well. I bred Tanner here in Stoke but let her go to a bloke I know ( Andy) who in turn let her go to Gaz. In some ways I failed with Tanner ( a first re' my Plummers if I'm honest). I became so busy with the rest of my adult Plummers, ratting etc that I didn't get her started early enough. My fault. So I'm genuinely happy that you have tapped in to her potential and have started to give her plenty of work. I read your Countryman's Weekly article and felt a sense of pride but the credit goes to you. I've written a good number of articles for the CMW and I enjoyed yours. I have seen a few Plummers work to ground, though I don't do earth work anymore( getting a bit too old lol ). My passion is ratting and bushing with them. It's good to see someone giving them earth work because their ability to go to ground has been doubted a fair bit over the years. I know many terriers will go to ground naturally but a few won't, including mine, but then again I've not encouraged them, so, good on you for bringing Tanner on so well. I look forward to your future posts on Tanner and your other dogs. Good hunting my friend.

• Like 1

Phill I had a pup of Steve parfitt out of Samson he's just over 4 months old now little cracker he is and as game as they come. Atb adam

Nice one Adam..........I'm sure he will do you proud when ready. Samson has some substance to him as well. I've got two 5 month old Plummer pups on the go.........one off Dave Bell, Barnsley and one of a local lad Chris Gould. They're blood related. The dog Odin is a right chunky b#gger whereas Polly, off Dave, is finer boned and smaller. She reminds me of my old bitch Wyremead Winnie. She was the best ferreting dog I've ever had. Never lied to me once re' locating bunnies at home. Atb mate.

for any one interested lads........

i took tanner out for a few hours yesterday, i started the morning using her to flush pheasents off some swede fields so i could get a brace for tea. ounce t

his was achieved i walked a few earths but all was quiet. before long i had lost the little bitch and after getting the red brick out i located her.......in a drain!! she was working her fox well by the sounds of it so i began down. this drain was gushing with freezing water and i was convinced that no self respecting fox would be in such a cold rank place.

we dug until we reached the pipe and then used the sharp tooth to break into the pipe! i pulled back tanner and it was clear she had not had things all her own way! i peered up the pipe and was mortified/outstanding to find no stop end.......and no quarry? after a little arguing with my old man we tried to make sense of the whole thing. it was clear tanner had engaged her quarry, but where had it gone? and this drain was atleast half full of freezing water. i decided to let her run the drain if she was willing and after dropping her in i heard her bay immediately, so out i pulled her but still nothing up the pipe!!?? after leaving her loose down there for the third time i watched her with the torch as she edged forward carefully and BANG!! i saw a vulpine muzzle strike down from above the little bitch.

on inspection a foot or so further on up the pipe was a hole in the roof of the pipe, and charlie had taken up residence up there and was as dry as a cork! i think its these little cenarios that keep me addicted to hunting old charlie, he never ceases to amaze me!!

a couple of pictures of tanner drying out in the sun

atb

Well done my friend.( See my post re' you and Tanner on the next page.).. Atb, Phill.

for any one interested lads........

i took tanner out for a few hours yesterday, i started the morning using her to flush pheasents off some swede fields so i could get a brace for tea. ounce t

his was achieved i walked a few earths but all was quiet. before long i had lost the little bitch and after getting the red brick out i located her.......in a drain!! she was working her fox well by the sounds of it so i began down. this drain was gushing with freezing water and i was convinced that no self respecting fox would be in such a cold rank place.

we dug until we reached the pipe and then used the sharp tooth to break into the pipe! i pulled back tanner and it was clear she had not had things all her own way! i peered up the pipe and was mortified/outstanding to find no stop end.......and no quarry? after a little arguing with my old man we tried to make sense of the whole thing. it was clear tanner had engaged her quarry, but where had it gone? and this drain was atleast half full of freezing water. i decided to let her run the drain if she was willing and after dropping her in i heard her bay immediately, so out i pulled her but still nothing up the pipe!!?? after leaving her loose down there for the third time i watched her with the torch as she edged forward carefully and BANG!! i saw a vulpine muzzle strike down from above the little bitch.

on inspection a foot or so further on up the pipe was a hole in the roof of the pipe, and charlie had taken up residence up there and was as dry as a cork! i think its these little cenarios that keep me addicted to hunting old charlie, he never ceases to amaze me!!

a couple of pictures of tanner drying out in the sun

atb

Only just seen this. Thanks for posting that fella. Enjoyed reading it. I really miss that little bitch. She was a pretty big personality around the place. But I'm also glad to see her doing what she clearly wants to do.