• 7 months later...

Lot's of folks lately making knives, does buying a blank, and attaching a handle define making a knife? Still looks decent enough

no it doesnt define making a knife it defines putting a handle on someoneelses work :thumbs:

• Like 1

Lot's of folks lately making knives, does buying a blank, and attaching a handle define making a knife? Still looks decent enough

Not clear if it was a blank Ricky used or not. "It's from 4mm o1 tool steel, cheap and widely available"

If so a blank is a good way to get a taste for knife making so not to be discouraged. After all a lot of production knife makers revert to laser/ water cut blanks all be it to their own design. ;)

Griff

• Like 1

Id love to have ago, i think im part magpie as if its shiney it catches me eye an if its sharp then it gets my attention, nowhere to use as as a work shop and no whete hear the tools needed or money to justify buying them, one day tho haha my lad has got a wee antler off a roe here tho an really wants it as a knife handle so i may try that at sone point haha

Give it a go W.K if you search around on the Google-net you can pick of a fairly cheap 01 blank ...plenty on Hennie https://www.heinnie.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=blank

You end up with a decent blade for not much cash, a lot of time & satisfaction.

Griff

• Like 1

Id love to have ago, i think im part magpie as if its shiney it catches me eye an if its sharp then it gets my attention, nowhere to use as as a work shop and no whete hear the tools needed or money to justify buying them, one day tho haha my lad has got a wee antler off a roe here tho an really wants it as a knife handle so i may try that at sone point haha

tell the truth your just tight arse :laugh:

• Like 1

I have the same (or very similar) blank, bought at the CLA Game fair some years ago. I have, however, made knives myself in the past. I no longer have the space to have a forge at home as I live in a disabled adapted flat - the neighbours and authorities have a disappointing lack of tolerance of the flames and hammering. And swearing. Oh, so much swearing.

Now I am limited to just dressing knives, as the OP has done, but this is nothing to scoffed at. Theres still a lot of ways to go wrong!

My build is on hold just now, until I pick up some M6 brass bolts, or cut the thread on some quarter inch brass rod. I have gone through a load of scale (handle) choices and have now settled on some walnut from an old SLR L1A1 (FN FLAR) british army rifle buttstock. I have some brass to mount as a sort of bolster/fingerguard, similar to this:

http://www.english-handmade-knives.co.uk/acatalog/info_387.html

...for which I will have to drill some more holes in the blank to secure with M4 screws. Then its the walnut for the rest of the hilt, a scale on either side, fixed with M6 brass into some A4 stainless sleeve nuts set into the wood.

A little 8mm copper pipe to line the lanyard hole then jobs a good 'un!

Premature? Well, yes, because I shall want to shape the hilt butt end with the linisher, then belt-sand the whole to shape, working a finger-groove into the bolster end, around the brass/wood joint.

I shall take some pics and post when I get a chance to do the work. I hope this of interest to someone out there!