Regional Slang?

I have a Hungarian friend who tells me that, in his native language, they can have several meanings for the same word. So, "knee"and "rabbit" are the same word, for instance.

So, he is bemused by the number of words we have for something as simple as a bread roll, cob, bap, barm or whatever it's called where you are.......

Probably a bit of explaining to do when your telling someone you've just 'f****d your knee" then!!

• Like 1

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have fun at work me being a Fifer and working in Posh Edinbrugh they cant get half my dialect or slang , my boss loves telling folk one day i was on a medical shout and was on the phone to ambulanc

Following on from the Brum slang thread it might do well to raise a general regional slang thread so we are all on same page wherever we go. Im Yorkshire based: How do : Hello Nah then cock : Hello

Benedictine liqueur and hot water.A cure all in Lancashire after the returning WW1 soldiers all brought a bottle back from France. Do I win a prize?   Cheers, D.

It's probably more regionalised to Newark and close surrounding area... It might as well be another country lol

Whats that all about people dont actually talk like that do they :blink: .......cant remember talking to many people from Notts but maybe i have and just didnt know what the f**k they was saying !........what a strange accent,dont seem very mature to me :whistling:

I have a Hungarian friend who tells me that, in his native language, they can have several meanings for the same word. So, "knee"and "rabbit" are the same word, for instance.

So, he is bemused by the number of words we have for something as simple as a bread roll, cob, bap, barm or whatever it's called where you are.......

Probably a bit of explaining to do when your telling someone you've just 'f****d your knee" then!!

In my experience, Hungarians aren't known for their sense of humour at the best of times !

Benny'n'hot

Can anyone guess??

Benny'n'hot

Can anyone guess??

Benedictine liqueur and hot water.

A cure all in Lancashire after the returning WW1 soldiers all brought a bottle back from France.

Do I win a prize? :D

Cheers, D.

• Like 2

Benny'n'hot

Can anyone guess??

Benny'n'hot

Can anyone guess??

A cure all in Lancashire after the returning WW1 soldiers all brought a bottle back from France.

Cheers, D.

You could narrow it down to a town ?

Benny'n'hot

Can anyone guess??

Benny'n'hot

Can anyone guess??

Cheers, D.

You could narrow it down to a town

Benny'n'hot

Can anyone guess??

Benny'n'hot

Can anyone guess??

Cheers, D.

You could narrow it down to a town

Burnley

• Like 1

Meanwhile, down 'ere....we have

"Dreckly" - meaning at some point in the future...maybe...if I can be arsed.

"Get orrrn" - meaning - what you're telling me surprises me greatly

"Maid" - almost any female

"Snuh" - randomly added to the endings of any sentences

"Proper job" - meaning a right thing

"Kasn't" - meaning can't.

:)

I think a lot of slang is now nationwide..such as brew.. ay up.. butty..fag..etc

I can only think of these few that I hear on occasions up here

Blade - friend

Fake - cigarette

Wammal - dog