when my beer is finished fermenting i put the fermenter in my shed on the concrete floor for a couple of days. the cold floor drops most of the yeast and always i end up with nice , clear beer.

it will work with cider too. :thumbs:

• Like 1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The first couple of gallons....hopefully go for 3 gallons next weekend..... Matt

I've been caught pulling up a chair and just watching it bubble by the Mrs..... It'll be no laughing matter when I'm belting out James brown classics with my pants on my head in March..... She may mo

I made a simple press today with stuff I had laying around.

Posted Images

I've been caught pulling up a chair and just watching it bubble by the Mrs.....

It'll be no laughing matter when I'm belting out James brown classics with my pants on my head in March..... She may mock me now, let's see how funny it is in a few months! Lol

Matt

• Like 7

Pretty standard from what I've heard.

Let's just say I'm not welcome back to the local beer/cider festival at a fairly local pub.....

Bloody spoilsports......

The Mrs didn't talk to me for 5 days...... Every cloud and all that!

Matt

• Like 1

I pressed most of my apples yesterday and filled a 5 gallon fermentation bin.

The OG 1052 and the PH 3.14 so quite acidic but hopefully there will be malo-lactic fermentation to smooth that out and give a scrumpy flavor.

I used Harris cider yeast and nutrient, I took a chance and didn't use campden tablets, I read there is less chance of acidic cider spoiling.

I will probably press some sweeter apples later today, just to fill a demi-john and try that with some ale yeast.

• 2 weeks later...

After racking off my last gallon I decided to top up with a sugar syrup ( nothing measured) and there's now a secondary fermentation happening (slowly),I presume this will create more alcohol. Im wondering weather to do this for the rest of em?

The others actually tasted ok at racking but the one was a bit sour hence the sugar.

Whateve happens they are getting bottled in a month and left in the shed with any Xmas temptation being firmly binned!

Really enjoying this cider making lark,in real danger of getting all "Gwatkin" and getting carried away! Lol

Matt

3 gallon clearing nicely and that other experimental one bubbling away can only lead to trouble in spring and some scrumping in October....... Didn't realise how therapeutic chopping and scratting on a Saturday morning can be!

Matt

Well we processed all the apples in four hours, and got 630 pints! That's too bloody spookily close to my guesstimate.

Not done og yet as we are both right royally fecked.

Will take it in the morning.

200 lts un one barrel I'm going to take a chance on and go naturel, all the rest in 5 gal fv,s with cider, ale and champagne yeast.

Report back in the morning with og.

• Like 2