Ferret Biting

got a hob and a jill here, no problems, theres a bloke over the road from me, do they bite he asked, no I says, so he attemptied to stroke the hob, and it latched on to him, complete stranger and different smell to my ferrets, and that's why he go bit,

I get the same thing with mine, strangers asking 'Is that a ferret? well doesn't it bite?!' Seems the ferrets have earned themselves a bad reputation and there's no wonder when they bite a inquisitive stranger for trying to pet them ??

Luckily mines never bitten anyone following that conversation, she play nibbles but it's nothing a puppy or kitten wouldn't do.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

washing hands with washing up liquid before handling helps, as does making sure they are not hungry first. Ive had some really challenging ferrets, but even as little as 10-15 mins a day will sort the

find when ferrets not handled well and they bite a glove to start with then work onto the hand, many a scar on both hands from ferrets that aint been handled enough 20 mins a day keeps the biteing at

Feed him well before you pick him up-only a pussy would handle a ferret with a glove lol;)used to just let them bite and push my finger right back in the mouth if I get a biter-they soon think f**k th

My brother did it when he was about four, he was fuuckin warned 'do not put it near your face' guess what.... he did ???? one of the funniest things I've ever seen/heard was him screaming "help me help me" :laugh: daft cnut still has the scars.

• Like 2

I love a look on gumtree and at present theres some bird holding a ferret with gloves on 12 weeks old only £30 but he bites :laugh:

If i go to see a litter of kits and they bite like them mean to not just nipping i walk away breeding them is the easy bit after that they have to be fed properly and handled if the breeeder cant be bothered to start the handling process what else might be missing ?.

• Like 2

Iv a kit here thats sound when shes in your hand but anything above the wrist if she catches you she will have a good chew on. She would leave you black and blue. Starting to calm down slightly, her mother was the same, took best part of a year for her to quit it. Plenty play and give them a row for biting hard the same as you would with pup brings them right i find.

• 1 month later...

find when ferrets not handled well and they bite a glove to start with then work onto the hand, many a scar on both hands from ferrets that aint been handled enough 20 mins a day keeps the biteing at bay

Is 20 mins enough for a day? I was under the asumption youd have to handle them for a good hour

• Like 1

find when ferrets not handled well and they bite a glove to start with then work onto the hand, many a scar on both hands from ferrets that aint been handled enough 20 mins a day keeps the biteing at bay

Is 20 mins enough for a day? I was under the asumption youd have to handle them for a good hour

Personally, I think more that 20 minutes is needed.

Each to there own depending on work and other commitments some folk night only have 20 minutes during the working week other might be able to spend a hour i think it just spending time with them not the amount

• Like 1

Ive been bite training mine for 2 weeks now, i found the scruff and drag works for mine,

When she bites to hard i scruff her behind the neck a gently drag her for about a foot along the carpet then let her go, this is good for kits as its what the mother would do when raising them. Now all she does is the play nip to get you interested in what she wants (bit like the misses)

The other way is a time out for about 2-3minutes in a separate cage, not theirs.

FF

• Like 1

washing hands with washing up liquid before handling helps, as does making sure they are not hungry first. Ive had some really challenging ferrets, but even as little as 10-15 mins a day will sort them after 2 or 3 weeks. hold over the shoulders so they cant turn and bite holding hand, clench fist on other hand and let them sniff back of hand....clenched fist means its hard for them to latch on...you'll just get a nick if they try rather than full on hold. just takes a bit of time and patience.

• Like 3

Good post Rob,mine get worked all year round so are handled regularly but any biters are knocked on the head right away,when ferrets are being thrown to each other over hedges,etc, the last thing you need is a biter, my mate always swore a bit of engine oil on their nose stopped it and it did work on a big hob he was given but I am not sure, I handle mine every time I clean or feed them,I find the more polecat in them the more the chance of a biter, WM