Salmon Festival Vancouver Island This Weekend

there's a salmon festival running this weekend, it comes around once a year, it's the Chinook salmon run, and top prize is $15,000 first place, when you catch a decent one and weigh it in, it's no longer yours, the event organizers have it, then smoke it on a twenty foot long smoker for you to buy for your dinner, it's a community volunteer run event, live music (does get payed) good atmosphere, and a good turn out,one guy is leading the event with a 53.2lb Chinook salmon, which was huge, he will probably win the whole event with this....

post-37851-0-37494300-1473027087_thumb.jpg

post-37851-0-33757000-1473027113_thumb.jpg

post-37851-0-70126300-1473027133_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

In that first picture is the reflection in the top right hand corner what I think it is .......

..that was a first nation girl peering through the glass at the other fish on the other side of the ice tank...i remember them, cause i had to wait for them to move around the tank to get a pic....

• Like 1

Was in Vancouver island September 2015 fishing out of painters lodge. The fishing, and the wildlife was awesome, at onetime I was playing a chinook, and a humpback whale jumped out the water 50ft from the boat, also watched a pod of orcas hunting a pod of dolphins. I also fished the fly in Campbell river for pink salmon, and lost count the amount of fish I had. The down side was I left my phone with all my Picts in a budget hire car, and the women in their office told me she had it and would send it back to me. Many phone calls, and emails I'm still wating a year later. Here's a chinook I had painters lodge

post-103010-0-27747800-1473069754_thumb.png

• Like 4

Was in Vancouver island September 2015 fishing out of painters lodge. The fishing, and the wildlife was awesome, at onetime I was playing a chinook, and a humpback whale jumped out the water 50ft from the boat, also watched a pod of orcas hunting a pod of dolphins. I also fished the fly in Campbell river for pink salmon, and lost count the amount of fish I had. The down side was I left my phone with all my Picts in a budget hire car, and the women in their office told me she had it and would send it back to me. Many phone calls, and emails I'm still wating a year later. Here's a chinook I had painters lodge

yeah, the fishing and wildlife is...as you say, is awesome bud, iv'e yet to see it all, i'm looking forward to that, sounds like you had a fabulous time here, (apart from losing your phone) that's a good pic of the Chinook mate, what did it weigh?

I had 17 chinook up to the weight of 27lb, and lost a few, anything over 30lb is classed as a Tyee. That fish was one I had when I went out with my wife for a couple of hours as she wanted to see the orcas/whales. I am already planing my next trip this time ucluelet/tofino or Charlotte island lol can't make my mind up

• Like 3

I had 17 chinook up to the weight of 27lb, and lost a few, anything over 30lb is classed as a Tyee. That fish was one I had when I went out with my wife for a couple of hours as she wanted to see the orcas/whales. I am already planing my next trip this time ucluelet/tofino or Charlotte island lol can't make my mind up

good fishing mate, people ask me, have i been to ucluelet/tofino yet, i say..."no not yet", but i do intend to tho, all the islands sound nice mate, my wife would love to see the whales as well, so would i.....have you ever thought about moving over here bud?

Moving is not an option tilly, family etc. My mates just back from the mud river region, and though they had a good time catching bull trout, and salmon they said they prefered the Fraser river area fishing for salmon, and sturgeon. 2 other lads I know fished Charlotte island landing 2 fish of 47&42lb, but you need to fly in on a sea plane?

• Like 1

Absolute paradise Tilly. My idea of heaven

cheers lenny, hows it going bud, are you any further down the line to moving over mate?

i must admit....we prefer it here, more than Calgary, it's a lot calmer here, a slower pace of life, slower traffic, more scenic, and much more friendlier, we are looking towards the top of the island to live later on, but at the moment, we are seeing what life brings us here.

cheers lenny, hows it going bud, are you any further down the line to moving over mate?

i must admit....we prefer it here, more than Calgary, it's a lot calmer here, a slower pace of life, slower traffic, more scenic, and much more friendlier, we are looking towards the top of the island to live later on, but at the moment, we are seeing what life brings us here.

not bad mate, been offered work in Alberta and trying to get a mate to go with me before bringing out the missus, il not give up

not bad mate, been offered work in Alberta and trying to get a mate to go with me before bringing out the missus, il not give up

ok bud.....keep us posted if/when anything happens..... ;)