Collie Greyhound

Avoid Border crosses. Although they can and do make fox dogs it is quite often much later in the dogs development before they will entertain the idea. It's nothing for a dog to take up to 4 or 5 years to go to them.

Beardies on the other hand seem to take to them much more readily. I've had 10 month old pups get stuck right in.

As with any dog the entering is all important. If you can give the dog the opportunity to gain confidence it'll do the job you want.

You don't need a hammer to crack a nut.

I sometimes wonder if you average Collie cross if far more intelligent than your average lurcher owner.

• Like 4

Avoid Border crosses. Although they can and do make fox dogs it is quite often much later in the dogs development before they will entertain the idea. It's nothing for a dog to take up to 4 or 5 years to go to them.

Beardies on the other hand seem to take to them much more readily. I've had 10 month old pups get stuck right in.

As with any dog the entering is all important. If you can give the dog the opportunity to gain confidence it'll do the job you want.

You don't need a hammer to crack a nut.

I sometimes wonder if you average Collie cross if far more intelligent than your average lurcher owner.

think the last line of you statement is very possibly true, hence the massive growth in Bull X,s when I first had dogs in the late 80's early 90's collies were the number one cross, with the odd deerhound or saluki X if hares were your thing, and bedlington whippets for rabbiting and ferret work, you need to build a relationship with a collie X, were as you can swap a bull X for your pigeon loft on Friday and have it out working on Monday, then swap it for an mx5 a month later, it's all part of the instant gratification life style that seems the norm nowadays, I have a stunning collie X that will catch and kill everything single handed, he,s even caught and ragged a crack head in the garden, trying to rob the shed, now that's what I call an all rounder

It never ceases to amaze me how fox,s were ever dispatched,by a lurcher,before bull types became popular.The popularity of Bull type lurchers is quantifiable with the demise of hunting with credulence.

• Like 1

They were probably was the number one cross because of certain "writers" telling exaggerated stories about their capabilities. So maybe better questioning the intelligence of the collie cross buyers in the 80's and 90's than bull cross owners since.

They are less common because less people want them ,despite the efforts of one of the above writers.

There's always been Rose tinted specs and "credulence" it goes hand in hand . There's always been talks of big bags ,rough dogs bad practices,shameful puppy peddling and braggarts. None of which is new. Just the new generation can tell the world in seconds. But there's plenty of older internet photo Hero's too.

If it wasn't bull crosses to blame ,something else would be to blame

• Like 1