West Coast Of Ireland Fishing. Help.

As above, any info or opinions will be gratefully accepted as I am trying to arrange a trip for my mate's 50th birthday next month.

We are into most types of fishing both fresh and salt water, and keen to do some beach fishing (any species) and pike fishing.

I know the west coast is a big area :icon_eek: but I need help to narrow down my search for a location/county to fish that will offer the most opportunities.

Looking ideally for local knowledge but anyone with experience of fishing the west coast of Ireland please get in touch.

Any info on set-ups, baits, locations (decent marks :whistling: ) etc as well as b&b's would also be very helpful.

Oh yes, did I mention a good local pub :drinks: is a must too.

ATB

Mick

I have taken a look on a view websites etc including 'Fishing Ireland' and like the look of Valentia Island as a possible venue.

Are there any members on THL who live in this area of Ireland or have experience of fishing this location, it looks ok on google maps but I would rather hear from someone who has actually fished here. :thumbs:

ATB

Mick

I have taken a look on a view websites etc including 'Fishing Ireland' and like the look of Valentia Island as a possible venue.

Are there any members on THL who live in this area of Ireland or have experience of fishing this location, it looks ok on google maps but I would rather hear from someone who has actually fished here. :thumbs:

ATB

Mick

lough corrib in galway for wild brown trout ,dapping is popular for catching ferox brown trout ive seen pictures of 20lb plus fish. There is pike in the corrib too and lough mask which is close to the corrib. The weir pool in ballina in mayo is one of the top salmon fishing spots in ireland but expensive for a days fishing but salmon fishing has improved since drift netting was banned. Sea fishing was good around west port in mayo and up the coast towards belmullet im not sure what its like lately. Edited by jiggy
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I heard lough ree in athlone is great for pike its that populated the trout are getting it hard to get in good numbers. A few specimen trout caught there too because the pike dont take that many trout above 6 pound but the small ones are hammered.

• Like 1

Fish around Mayo, there's the river moy for salmon, I'd say one of the top rivers in Europe, in foxford there's the rinanny stretch good for a days sport, at night below the bridge is good for sea trout on the fly. Then there's laugh conn and lough Cullen, both full of trout, salmon, pike and coarse fish, crystal clear water too and boat hire. And to top it off the scenery is beautiful and the people are top notch. It's a great place, ballina has better night life though

Edited by Lenmcharristar
  • Like 2

Pity are place is not finished yet next year we are doing b&b it's in the Galway area

If we enjoy fishing in Ireland next month as much as we have done in Scotland for many a year there will definitely be a return visit (or several) so I will keep in mind your b&b. Thankyou.

Thank you very much for all the info it's greatly appreciated and it is a shame we will miss the salmon and sea trout fishing :cray: as my mate does a great deal of that but he has decided he would like to do a bit beach/shore fishing and if available harbour fishing for mullet.

This will be our first trip to Ireland but very likely wont be the last and we intend to take it easy and enjoy the scenery, fishing, local pubs :drinks: for drink/food and hopefully some good craic. If we catch fish, well, that will just be a bonus and if the sea doesn't produce we might have a go at the pike.

The ferry is sorted and I have booked a b&b (looks great with good revues) just outside Westport, there seems to be a good few marks around that area, so any personal favourite mark information/tips etc given would be kept in the strictest confidence. :whistling:

Well here's hoping everything goes well and I will post when we get back. :thumbs:

ATB

Mick :bye:

If your not going until october then the trout fishing waters will be closed not sure about the salmon.The pike are all year round,lough derravarragh in westmeath is a good hit for pike and also the Inny river that flows out of it towards the Shannon,some great strethes along it for pike and course fishing.

Slieve league is a good spot for a bit of sea fishing from the rocks. It has some of the highest sea cliffs in Europe. Just Park at the pier in Teelin and walk 5 mins to the cliffs

Just had a look at Slieve League mate.........that looks a bit steep for my auld legs :laugh:

If your not going until october then the trout fishing waters will be closed not sure about the salmon.The pike are all year round,lough derravarragh in westmeath is a good hit for pike and also the Inny river that flows out of it towards the Shannon,some great strethes along it for pike and course fishing.

We're taking a couple of spinning rods in case we have a go at the pike or should we be dead baiting for them mate.