Collie Greyhound

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The half x could be on the heavier side if it throws strong to the collie, you should stand a better chance of a racy one 3/4 bred. I have a half bred hancock bitch here now 9 months old, nice and rac

My pup off merlin

What type of lurcher do you favour gilbey? i liked the saluki/lurcher cross collie lurcher for edible game.

Posted Images

What type of lurcher do you favour gilbey? i liked the saluki/lurcher cross collie lurcher for edible game.

I like salukis, I got the collie cross for ratching about and to see for myself what they were like, I bet the collie Sal lurcher is handy. Edited by Gilbey
  • Like 2

Always had a soft spot for the collie x greys. In the 80,s and 90,s when plummer was doing his salesman of the year tactics for hancock, lots of lads had them, myself included. Some were good some wernt bad and some were fecking usless. I had a three quarter bred beardie border, too be fair was a decent dog, took fox but not a fox dog if you get my drift. Would catch them single handed and mark fox to ground, but when out round a hole no fox dog. Did ok on hares and roe, and was just a honest dog that never let me down. Quite a few lads I know had them, I remember a lot of the 3/4 bred ones around her suffered with bad feet. An old mate of mine had a 3/4 bred out of nixons drum if anyone can remember that dog. Was a half decent dog but for me was too greyhoundy and again that constantly had knocked up feet. Another mate of mine had a half cross out of Richard jones and it was always hyper. Like all crosses theres good and bad in them all, cheers atb the hoff

• Like 3

How come only Hancock gets pulled up for breeding shite.

95% of the sire and dams that people use to breed lurchers are generally shite.

People who go to hancocks these days ( when there's plenty of research you can do before hand on line about his dogs and people who have used them) only have themselves to blame if there unhappy.......that's the way the world works.

And as far as people who have been hunting most of there life and them are there children buy them why bloody complain.......when obviously there are better things out there.

Bloody hell Hancock deserves a bloody medal for all the pricks he's dealt with over the years.

• Like 3

How come only Hancock gets pulled up for breeding shite.

95% of the sire and dams that people use to breed lurchers are generally shite.

People who go to hancocks these days ( when there's plenty of research you can do before hand on line about his dogs and people who have used them) only have themselves to blame if there unhappy.......that's the way the world works.

And as far as people who have been hunting most of there life and them are there children buy them why bloody complain.......when obviously there are better things out there.

Bloody hell Hancock deserves a bloody medal for all the pricks he's dealt with over the years.

there's plenty you can do before giving him 300 quid. And that's talk to the boys who have them at the minute. Genuine Hancock owners not people who reckon they used to have one...how many people lie just to Diss something, and how many boys lie on here about dog capabilities? Hundreds...

If you have one off Hancock and it's good. It's called luck.

If you have one off Hancock and it's shits it's hancocks fault.

If you have a home bred litter and it's good it's because they reckon they know how to breed a litter and the top dogs were used. Breeder takes credit.

If you have a home bred litter and it's a jacker, even when using top dogs. And you have the top hunting men/breeders in the country who bred it...it's put down to the handler, or it just happens lol

(happens in all litters regardless who bred it and what the parents have done, some produce some don't)

This site and alot of boys egos, mentalities or whatever is f***ing shocking.

People don't go and buy a certain x of lurcher in hope of it failing. You wouldn't go into any litter blind, without doing some homework. I know boys who keep making success from certain dogs from Hancock, hence me going for what I did. Can't even remember if the op even asked anyone opinion whether to get a Hancock lol

• Like 5

I once said I would never go back to hancocks....... then I went down the shooting news route.....gumtree route etc......soon changed my mind.

I miss going on the colliecurs forum,,,, there were a few of hancocks bitches on there that I had a soft spot for. I forgot the sire, but he was knocking out a few good rabbiting bitches,,,,,beardie and border in there.

Edited by wuyang
  • Like 1

Can remember Hancock having a Greyhound bitch that he'd found off the street, he named it "Oi you."

Come on for God's sake, don't feed the the men who peddle dogs....

My point entirely, this is a very lucrative business, over 100 pups of varying ages at any one time, nobody running or testing any of them, yet people still queue up to buy off him. Wuyang, I take it the veiled comment was aimed at me about my lad and its a fair comment but like all young lads,even at 23yrs old he has read all the bullish*t in the books and seen my pics of collie/greys from the past and thought that was what he was buying into,nobody listens to their dad when they are young but now at last after seeing me proved right he has seen sense and bought something decent to run in any company,they have to see for themselves, and that is why so many still go back to him,Nostalgia of the dogs we had and worked but these are a far cry from the stuff he sold in the 80's.

Moja, I've been on most sites including that one and its laughable the status "Hancock" and "Plummer" have, there are still lads that have minute amounts of Plummers "Merle" in them and they don't call them Hancocks lurchers but Plummer lurchers,changing hands for 500 pounds plus, "Merle" was a fairy tale and never killed a fox to my knowledge, he lacked straight line speed and was run regularly in front of lads we supplied with live fox in the 80's, we were told they were letting them go in hunt country where they were scarce and in a reciprocal arrangement those lads got the coursing for their saluki/greyhounds, we were getting a tenner each for them and unknown to us at the time Plummer was buying them off him for 15 pounds, Merle was tried 50-60 times without ever nailing one even in a barn, Plummer like Hancock was a good story teller,Plummer even wrote "My Life With Lurchers" on his behalf, I would bet that the only time Hancock had a lamp and dog in his hand was for the cover picture of that book, the last person to hunt his dogs was probably Phil Lloyd, he spent some time at Plummers cottage in Scotland along with Hancock,in fact Phils "Maddie" was sired by Richard Jones,he did produce some top dogs and were considerably better than "Merles" progeny, the Greyhounds of choice then were Linden Ellands so you see the base stock or genetics were originally good and are infinitely better than the diluted excuse for lurchers he produces today, if I thought they were any good I'd still be running one and so would Phil,the Warrener,etc,I do not know anybody of note that has and works a "Hancock",if you would like a lot more detail I have it as these were my dogs of choice for many years and were run on all quarry. WM

• Like 3

I once said I would never go back to hancocks....... then I went down the shooting news route.....gumtree route etc......soon changed my mind.

I miss going on the colliecurs forum,,,, there were a few of hancocks bitches on there that I had a soft spot for. I forgot the sire, but he was knocking out a few good rabbiting bitches,,,,,beardie and border in there.

I think that would be Alex. There were a couple of decent bitches by him on c.curs.

• Like 1