Zander

fenboy its funny how we settle on baits , its just what works at the time I suppose , if there was one bait id put above all else it would be a freshly killed skimmer with 2 knife slices down the flank and a punctured air bag ,

Yes each to their own bait wise if it works it works , I think the main reason Eel section was so good through the summer months is the fact it would not be picked up by other Eels , roach baits on the middle level were mullered by Eels in about 10 minutes most nights !

I can remember getting serious eel problems on the mid level at times ,I might be wrong was this only when it wasn't coloured or the moon came out ? after a few years I only went from oct onwards maybe that's when the eels left me alone

They were certainly more active with a bit of moon , the water was mainly clear in the summer back then , a bit different now that our summers usually have plenty of rain and the drains get run off more regulary.

after a few years I only made the 200 mile round trip when I had them conditions I mentioned earlier, I normally used to hit a few smaller drains first if the zander was on the chew then id hit the mid level from 3 holes up to magdelain bridge and inbetween, see some huge carp over the years in the mid level

I mainly used to fish the stretch at Pingle Bridge or Crooked Chimney, your right about the carp there are some very big fish in there .

• Like 1

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

few of the best times to increase the chance of catching zander when i used to fish for them ,westerly winds, low light with cloud cover,just before dark,just after dark, coloured water, when its rai

9 years I've waited. All the anglers promise me a 3 to 4 pound zander. Have Inhad one.? Not in your life. What is the problem with catching these things? Not being that kind of fisherman I do despair.

I done plenty on the mid level it was never easy and the average size was better than most , the delph, 40ft, and the cut off were better for action but there were something about the mid level maybe

I enjoyed the mission , no info around when we started and anyone catching zander at the time wouldn't tell you much if anything at all , 1st break we got when a mates uncle who lived up there but didn't fish met us and took us to a few swims where he see a match angler bring a zander in , we caught a few fish that night then over the years just followed the system up and along to the level

Right then Matty. Let's get it on. I want a Zander. You are near Ashby. You have the knowledge and I know quite a bit of the local area. I'll do the cooking. Jok.

I'll make some time and give it a shot mate, a zander expert I ain't but I've banked a few over the years when targeting pike,

Matt

The Delph is far better for zander than the old Bedford. Seen many double figures come out of there. I had a few small ones when piking. 16ft can be hit or miss with them

the delph was a good river for me over the years I had a couple of doubles from there, the 16ft threw me more pike than zander for me , but its like all river fishing its good to try different spots and rivers , sometimes the harder the river the more you want to crack it

Use to go past the pit at manea and then over the Bedford into the Delph. It's a long walk now as the punt has gone. Where abouts are you Green lurchers

down in essex but was up on the fens early 80.s,, ive been back a handful of times but havnt got the energy to do another campain like the old days

• Like 1

Use to go past the pit at manea and then over the Bedford into the Delph. It's a long walk now as the punt has gone. Where abouts are you Green lurchers

down in essex but was up on the fens early 80.s,, ive been back a handful of times but havnt got the energy to do another campain like the old days
Only got the energy to be dragging tarpon and kingfish to the boat and cooking stuff that I'd probably stab a man to eat..... You take it easy GR.... Lol

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

It's a fish I've never caught but one that's definitely on my list ... I was told by a man in the know. .. next to the bridge at horncastle river Bain I presume ? is a top spot for them .

Ok after a little thought I think I might have got this ^ wrong sorry it was a few years ago .....I think it was actually tattershall bridge.... I know there was a castle involved and it was that way on lol