Welsh Sheepdog

If you can find one bird ,i would go with the shepherd x ,they need work but not as bad as the other herding dogs for going crazy and having bad habits.

true, thats why i reckon the acd give more of a stable temp, than collie types, i know there very good guards , but that not bad thing in this day/age.. ive had 3 border collie x greys, a kelpie xborder x grey, wouldn't have another. but as said the acd x whippet i would go for in the future , but prob not get one as they not very popular x that bred today .!!

• Like 1

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To create a first cross hybrid twixt a herder and a running dog,..,..I would always prefer to use the Greyhound or purpose bred type of up and at em,..hare killer as opposed to a pure whippet.... Th

Tegan's sire was a nice type of Welsh collie ......    

You ever thought of you who is the problem with collie xs and not the dogs? I've seen plenty of collie x mutts working to a high standard without being over sensitive and thinking to much.. But they w

Socks... Nice looking animal mate, but i also watched that programme and couldnt believe

what a variation of size and colours that the "welsh" came in, some actually looked terrier ish in the head

end of the day there all herding dogs , that are over sensitive that think to much lol
You ever thought of you who is the problem with collie xs and not the dogs? I've seen plenty of collie x mutts working to a high standard without being over sensitive and thinking to much.. But they were owned by owners who knew how to understand the dogs and get the best out of a mutt
  • Like 4

Socks... Nice looking animal mate, but i also watched that programme and couldnt believe

what a variation of size and colours that the "welsh" came in, some actually looked terrier ish in the head

end of the day there all herding dogs , that are over sensitive that think to much lol
You ever thought of you who is the problem with collie xs and not the dogs? I've seen plenty of collie x mutts working to a high standard without being over sensitive and thinking to much.. But they were owned by owners who knew how to understand the dogs and get the best out of a mutt

yes it me deff mate , i just dont gel with them , we all different in our own little ways .

• Like 2

I believe a lot of Welsh Sheepdog breeders are against them going to homes where they won't be worked on stock (understandably) so the trick would be in finding a lurcher friendly farmer with a Welsh Sheepdog.

Re the difference in appearance...when I watched the opening clip of the programme I actually thought the small black and tan was a kelpie cross as it was almost identical to my little Scout. Although she's a pure kelpie she's very mongrelly looking and looks more like a 3/4 sheepdog 1/4 whippet.

The part in the programme I found interesting (apart from the quote by the old farmer that I mentioned in another thread) was the genetic tests. The scientist claimed he could say if a sample was from a Welsh Sheepdog or a Border Collie with at least 95% accuracy but that the differences were all in neurology rather than appearance.

That's the problem with a lot of dog breeding: people attempt to breed dogs which LOOK like a certain breed rather than ACT and THINK like that breed.

Edited by Neal
  • Like 3

yes it me deff mate , i just dont gel with them , we all different in our own little ways .

Funny old dogs collies are. Pures have often driven me to tears at times, And I will never have another. But lurchers bred down from them, I have almost always gelled with.

I believe a lot of Welsh Sheepdog breeders are against them going to homes where they won't be worked on stock (understandably) so the trick would be in finding a lurcher friendly farmer with a Welsh Sheepdog.

Re the difference in appearance...when I watched the opening clip of the programme I actually thought the small black and tan was a kelpie cross as it was almost identical to my little Scout. Although she's a pure kelpie she's very mongrelly looking and looks more like a 3/4 sheepdog 1/4 whippet.

The part in the programme I found interesting (apart from the quote by the old farmer that I mentioned in another thread) was the genetic tests. The scientist claimed he could say if a sample was from a Welsh Sheepdog or a Border Collie with at least 95% accuracy but that the differences were all in neurology rather than appearance.

That's the problem with a lot of dog breeding: people attempt to breed dogs which LOOK like a certain breed rather than ACT and THINK like that breed.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to that programme really. Or the fact that the website says they will only sell to working farms or whatever. Alot of them get sold to people that do obedience work etc, like my ex did with hers.There are welsh sheepdogs about in quite a few areas these days. And alot of them aren't red and white, but there is a fair range of sizes, same as all working collie types really. Depends on the farmer's preference or the type of land they've got as to the type/size of dog they use

Edited by shaaark

Funny old dogs collies are. Pures have often driven me to tears at times, And I will never have another. But lurchers bred down from them, I have almost always gelled with.

suppose it what genes the lurcher picks up, from either collie or the running dog. if you get a nice balance and its a clever animal with the calming temp of the running dog you got a good dog, but it if it picks more collie temp , well for me it dont work out , as i just carnt get on with them, thats why i think a acd type temp prob of suited me better than the collie temp, we all different as we are are with our dogs . :yes:

Just my opinion but cattle dogs are tanks compared to border/Welsh collies,definite ban dog influence,whippets for my reckoning couldn't hold the bulk in the cross,greyhound much better.just an opinion not a criticism to bird.

Just my opinion but cattle dogs are tanks compared to border/Welsh collies,definite ban dog influence,whippets for my reckoning couldn't hold the bulk in the cross,greyhound much better.just an opinion not a criticism to bird.

. I totally agree but non ped whippets of the lighter division are built so much different ped whippets it all depends which ways and what whippet used to the outcome .but a grey xs cattle dog males can be small a mate has one maybe 22notmuch more and it's a first generation half and I have seen grey Welsh collie bitch around 21 but much lighter .atb bunnys.

I'm not sure whippets of any breeding could hold the bulk to which a cattle dog would add,border crosses nearly always to heavey to be useful and they aren't as heavey as an aussie type,would any one put an alsation to a whippet?,just can't see it working,

Where as a nice size greyhound would generate better length and hight,adding more weight to something already highly strung like a whippet could create yappers when on pressure runs.

Edited by doga

:hmm:To create a first cross hybrid twixt a herder and a running dog,..,..I would always prefer to use the Greyhound or purpose bred type of up and at em,..hare killer as opposed to a pure whippet....

The whippet blood is great and can always be added at a later date ,.if required.... :yes:

However,..if the chosen end product is required to be a wee'un,..I always favour starting off bigger,..then by dint of a further mating,..reduce the overal size of the hybrid.

This would be my own method of utilising most of the Herding breeds,..

As for toughness, mental attitude, etc,...it would be naive to suppose that physically tough dogs such as ACD's and Kelpies, to be immune from foolish treatment by handlers,.. who do not understand their mind set,..

These purpose bred workers have been created to fulfil a much needed task and require careful handling by folk who know, how to use their unique skills, to their fullest potential...

Same with working Collies. :yes:

Dogs that exhibit a rough/tough exterierior, can still be fecked up, by a human that is not best suited to be around them. :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 10

:hmm:To create a first cross hybrid twixt a herder and a running dog,..,..I would always prefer to use the Greyhound or purpose bred type of up and at em,..hare killer as opposed to a pure whippet....

The whippet blood is great and can always be added at a later date ,.if required.... :yes:

However,..if the chosen end product is required to be a wee'un,..I always favour starting off bigger,..then by dint of a further mating,..reduce the overal size of the hybrid.

This would be my own method of utilising most of the Herding breeds,..

As for toughness, mental attitude, etc,...it would be naive to suppose that physically tough dogs such as ACD's and Kelpies, to be immune from foolish treatment by handlers,.. who do not understand their mind set,..

These purpose bred workers have been created to fulfil a much needed task and require careful handling by folk who know, how to use their unique skills, to their fullest potential...

Same with working Collies. :yes:

Dogs that exhibit a rough/tough exterierior, can still be fecked up, by a human that is not best suited to be around them. :thumbs:

y_1.jpg

Excellent post, and it's what I've been saying for quite some time, most lads today are not suitable for owning lurchers of any type really, and is another reason why there are so many ruined potentially useful dogs ALWAYS in rescue homes etc. The majority of dog owners just don't suit the majority of lurcher types, of any format

• Like 1