after putting my own diary into book form and only having 15 copies printed i know that each book cost £30. But that thing was huge at A4 size, normal sized print with over 600 full colour pictures. The discount for larger numbers is significant but I explained to the publisher lady that nobody will pay to read me waffling on about hunting with a hawk and fishing.........often badly lol.

The modern day hunting book can be read over the course of a days coffee breaks at work with only a few photos. I'm sceptical that money can't be made but nobodies going to be retiring on the profit. Still a nice all inclusive holiday somewhere in the Canaries would make it worthwhile for me if I had anything to write about.

I agree with pointer I was gifted one of these books for letting him hunt my land with the pointer and the hawks, you get to see the highs and lows of hunting not like most books only putting in the positives and covers a lot more categories for example shooting, terrier work, hawk and pointer and fishing. Pictures fantastic and I would never part with it atb Fourtrak

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no romanticism honestly there's not, there's limited documentation via books club magazines records breed archives and internet information on pure Salukis but there's a fair amount when you

If you dig about on falconry forums on net there's some diary days and pics of Sahara dogs and birds, the write ups are written by a falconer was invited along some nice pics   I will try find the

Some great days though pointer youve come along way with them Hawks n pointers dreams becoming reality and some, some pure stress days I know of ? Some well funny ones too? The diary reflects that for

the books writen about sals will give you an insight and history of the b reed thats all , gails book was good in its day and t/c books about sals from diffrent regions was i formative . i took a different aproach , ,i think many try to westernise the sal , or they want circus dogs that will obay every comand , best get a collie if thats what you want , give them there heads they have thousands of years of genetic in print to hunt let them do it .. not just run on the arse of puss :thumbs:

Humour or stupidity lol....I made more mistakes in those three years with that hawk than I should have admitted to. The falconry fraternity would not be happy ha. I don't think many of us could write a normal book, it's a skill that few possess because it has to flow right with a start, middle and an end. A diary however is easy because we are all out hunting several times a week if not daily and we all have young stock that either succeed or fail and all that. So I think we all have a story and a diary is just an account of a day so it doesn't have to be written by a literary genius.

The hardest part for anyone wanting to produce a book from their diary even if it is only for a few friends and family is when to say that's enough and get it printed because the diary never ends.

Edited by pointer

Some great days though pointer youve come along way with them Hawks n pointers dreams becoming reality and some, some pure stress days I know of ? Some well funny ones too? The diary reflects that for certain

I think how too sort books come over a bit patronising weather intentional or not, then they set standards that worked for author but maybe your dog not same lol look at falconry books most of what you really need could be written in two pages to be fair, the things they can't teach you csn only learn by doing and that can lead as easily too success as it can too failure,

The forums the place for advice on how's and whys problems as greater danger of reference available, so diaries recollections n pictures deffo the book market of the future, look at JD hare picture book, one starring Hawks in same depth of quality pics be magic too look at , same as collections of hunting stories with Hawks dogs etc

• Like 2

We all learn by our mistakes, look at the end result, pointer and hawk work perfect together, excellent team, its the type of hunting you like to do so its worked out perfect atb Fourtrak

It's only a mistake if you do t learn from it I reckon ?

• Like 1

See pointer they never mentioned litter pickers waders rubber dinghys in your falconry kit in them old falconry books

They don't mate

I dont know how they managed lol.

Getting back to Salukis I'd read an up to date book on them but the laws would make that hard if not impossible. We may not all have owned a pure but many lurcher lads have had dogs with saluki in them.

• Gilbey changed the title to .