There is no romanticism honestly there's not, there's limited documentation via books club magazines records breed archives and internet information on pure Salukis but there's a fair amount when you dig or it

Not one bit of it really helps at all when it comes too too actually getting the best out of the dogs, on the field where it really matters, thats down too individuals their choice of stock rearing entering n pinch of luck helps like most things choose wisely and put everything you got into it and pray you get lucky

Consistency is what needs striving for long before greatness is ever gunna be one menu? But that depends what the marker is? Is it 3/3 hare dog or an allrounder? If I wanted a 3/3 hare dog too bet on, it wouldn't be a pure saluki

Conditioning wise? If you running hares then condition as you would a coursing dog, same for a lamper n allrounder day type saluki needs conditioning but allrounder see more graft than Courser so easier too keep fit

Edited by arcticgun
  • Like 2

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no romanticism honestly there's not, there's limited documentation via books club magazines records breed archives and internet information on pure Salukis but there's a fair amount when you

If you dig about on falconry forums on net there's some diary days and pics of Sahara dogs and birds, the write ups are written by a falconer was invited along some nice pics   I will try find the

Some great days though pointer youve come along way with them Hawks n pointers dreams becoming reality and some, some pure stress days I know of ? Some well funny ones too? The diary reflects that for

After reading most books on hunting and many on fishing I believe the best format is the diary style. That way anybody could write a book because you don't have to an expert. So Arcticgun may feel that after ten years he couldn't write a comprehensive book on the saluki but he could have written a book from breeding or picking up a pup then all the way through rearing, entering and working a saluki..........our laws would make that difficult because even if flushing to birds or guns pics and text could be twisted but you know what I mean.

Scooby was a good read as is Phil Lloyds first book detailing Specke. Mike Trussells recent sea fishing book is great. Maybe it's just me but I'm bored of the " how to " type books. Diaries and Autobiographies are all I'll bother with now I think.

It's amazing Plummer is even mentioned these days. So many books by so many authors have been written since he died. Getting a simple word document turned into a book is so easy now it's perhaps a shame more books aren't written. But do we really need books when we have the Internet? A book could be written and put on the Internet for free but I don't suppose many are willing to do that, selling at around £25 I imagine there's still money to be made from books.

Yea the book trade at top end dying thanks largely too tecnology mores the pity and that top selling fiction and mon fiction

Small markets like hunting books are going too struggle badly cos of initial costs involved shame really via the technology makes it easier too format m wrote a book there's programs help you do it on net but ultimately cost will be the killer plus markets fickle most people hate Salukis so I can't see a book on th selling more than ten copies ?

I know from JD post on another sites profits are ice thin, but then again there's more too life than money, anything valid needs sharing as long as it of quality, substance and interest

Edited by arcticgun

after putting my own diary into book form and only having 15 copies printed i know that each book cost £30. But that thing was huge at A4 size, normal sized print with over 600 full colour pictures. The discount for larger numbers is significant but I explained to the publisher lady that nobody will pay to read me waffling on about hunting with a hawk and fishing.........often badly lol.

The modern day hunting book can be read over the course of a days coffee breaks at work with only a few photos. I'm sceptical that money can't be made but nobodies going to be retiring on the profit. Still a nice all inclusive holiday somewhere in the Canaries would make it worthwhile for me if I had anything to write about.

• Like 1

Plummer was just first name in my head,

I'd rather have a book than read off internet.

So would I but there's no escaping the fact that not everybody especially kids can afford all the books. I was lucky I read everything I could about hunting, fishing and the countryside when I was younger but all I had to do was order them in from my local library. It's not like that for kids now. Some of the best modern falconry books are available on kindle unlimited for free written by normal Americans not some posh sort from over here. Then again why should anybody do it for free when everybodies a critic and the bad reviews and some level of abuse online would be inevitable whether it was free to read or not.

• Like 1

I've read had or still got most the popular Lurcher and falconry books, Pointer yours is as good as any other sat on the shelf, to be fair it's more interesting than most as its not just one thing repeated plenty variety n odd bits of your humour, its a real one off , it's one that will stay on the shelf for life ?

Maybe a site doing them kindle style with a small subscription cost would be way forward plus a few freebies chucked in, lads could submit books n get share of profit, enviromentaly sound way of doing it that of be plus give budding writers and photographers a place too show there work and maybe profit from it

Edited by arcticgun
  • Gilbey changed the title to .