Farmers Shooting Dogs.

I've been on both sides of this, around 30 years ago while crossing a field with a mate I flicked the lamp on as I new there was a large ditch in the middle of the field, as soon as the light went on I was shot in the back from 70-100 yards with a shotgun, (almost certainly 12 gauge). We left the lamp and battery in the bottom of the ditch and got away, the farmer never even came over to see what he'd hit. Luckily I was wearing a heavy tweed jacket and although the shot went through it, it barely broke the skin. We sneaked back next day and retrieved the battery and lamp, despite my mate being no stranger to trouble ( you may have seen his brother in action at the lambourn lurcher show or him at the derby) there were no reprisals for the farmer, we new the risk we were taking and it was our choice.

Having since spent years gamekeeping I have on hundreds of occasions had to evict coursers, from individuals to large gangs, I never had a gun with me, never had any trouble and normally had a good chat about there dogs and explained that while the partridges were down they couldn't come back, on one occasion my head keeper chased a car load which then broke down, he towed them miles home.

A lot of the bad feeling from farmers is down to people driving fields with crops growing, leaving gates open and sometimes smashing through closed gates as well as stock worrying.

Two sides to most issues.

• Like 3

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its a sad reflection on the majority of lurcher owners that they do not have a clue on basic countryside knowledge and the laws of the land.Any dog out of control amidst stock should be shot and the o

Bastarts even photo bomd my pictures lol

Spot on that.   We had one last year come screaming over in his pickup, got out balling and shouting and sticking his chest out. It was just scare tactics. Once he saw I was calm and trying to be r

Posted Images

I've been on both sides of this, around 30 years ago while crossing a field with a mate I flicked the lamp on as I new there was a large ditch in the middle of the field, as soon as the light went on I was shot in the back from 70-100 yards with a shotgun, (almost certainly 12 gauge). We left the lamp and battery in the bottom of the ditch and got away, the farmer never even came over to see what he'd hit. Luckily I was wearing a heavy tweed jacket and although the shot went through it, it barely broke the skin. We sneaked back next day and retrieved the battery and lamp, despite my mate being no stranger to trouble ( you may have seen his brother in action at the lambourn lurcher show or him at the derby) there were no reprisals for the farmer, we new the risk we were taking and it was our choice.

Having since spent years gamekeeping I have on hundreds of occasions had to evict coursers, from individuals to large gangs, I never had a gun with me, never had any trouble and normally had a good chat about there dogs and explained that while the partridges were down they couldn't come back, on one occasion my head keeper chased a car load which then broke down, he towed them miles home.

A lot of the bad feeling from farmers is down to people driving fields with crops growing, leaving gates open and sometimes smashing through closed gates as well as stock worrying.

Anybody wearing an heavy tweed jacket can afford to be shot at least once in their lifetime.

• Like 2

Anybody wearing an heavy tweed jacket can afford to be shot at least once in their lifetime.
It was one of those ones with a quilted liner that you used to be able to buy off the markets. Never said it was the only time I've been shot.
  • Like 1

Anyone poaching in midwinter wearing white runners with white socks pulled up over tracksuit bottoms deserves to be shot. In fact even if they are walking down the street minding their own business they still deserve it.?

• Like 7

I see this both ways- I run dogs and keep a lot of sheep (000,s not 100,s!)

There is nothing worse than going round stock to find some ripped to pieces.

From my experience it's normally loose pets like Rottweilers , huskys , Alsatians etc with the odd farm dog

That gets shot rather than "our" sort of working dogs!

• Like 1

someone left one running lose up on one of my permissions recently...obviously lost from a nights lamping or left on purpose.. Everyone who had permission to be there was asked if they had lost it..

No one owned up to it even if it was there's because the thing worried half a dozen sheep. . . farmer shot it obviously.

ive had a shotgun pointed at me,,,along time ago 91 ,,dog had just ran a hare and lost it in a wood,,,we herd a bang and went running over ,, i thought the worst ,,,but the dog came back to me ,,so he must have missed,,,so theres this chap 20 feet away pointing a gun at me and my mate,,,,who just happened to have left the royal marrines two month earlier after 8 years servis,,,,

the chap is ranting about the dog,,and his birds in the wood,,he wasnt that bothered about the hare to be fair,,,but he threatened to shoot the dog,,,,of course we had big bollox we was young and there was two of us,,,,we just replied,,,if you shoot the dog with that remaining shell,,,what you going to do when were beating you to death with the gun,,,,ok bravado on our part,,,both parties backed away ,,,

my mate the marrine says to me,,,,"ive done two 6 month tours of northern ireland,,going an patrols,,,finding roadside bombs,,being tail gun charlie,,,never had a gun on me,,,one trip poaching with you and some civve is pointing a shotgun at me,,, :laugh:

• Like 6

ive also been hit with a shotgun,,,that was sat in a police station,, :icon_eek: ,i had been braught in for questioning about a poaching incident,,,,f**k you copper im saying nothing,,,billy big bollox again, :D ,i thought i had hid the 410 shotgun well,,,,i was wrong :laugh: ,,,next thing this other copper walks in the room hollding this gun wrapped up in one of the plastick evidence bags,,all the bravado has gone now i can see they got me bang to rights,,,,,he says to me stand up then growls at me,,,this is the only evindence we f***ing need,,,than bang he hit me full on in the stomach with the butt of the gun,,,,by f**k that came keen ,,i was soon sat down making a stetment,, :laugh:

Jesus Christ.

You on the sauce Ray.

There really is an awsome amount of pish spouted on here at times.

I can almost bet without worry that no one here knows anyone whos had a dog shot in the last 20 years.

if you gone to trouble of training you dog and pup, from 9 weeks old , and the dog biddable and 100% with sheep , ok you might be some where you shouldn't be, and the farmer goes nuts , and can see your dog well behaved , and still shoots it , and people say they do nothing back to that farmer , who sick twisted twat , I don't believe them , deff get my revenge with him, and the only way is to hit them in the pocket , and people want do that up to there selves . a ll my dogs are stock trained , and if farmer just shots dog and don't ask questions, what the bloody point of training the dog in the 1st place with stock , it not macho , the only one macho the bloody farmer , who need a lesson that he want forget .

Remember years ago ferreting on the derelict airbase at Caneby Corner and a keeper who came up to us threatend us both with a shotgun till we told him to f**k off pointing guns at people because we were ferreting piles of rubble even the magistrate at gainsbrough couldent believe i was up before him for ferreting on derelict land when it went to court more of a suprise was i saw the keepers name not long after in the shooting times getting a long service award for his service to a nearby estate.lol

When i got my first lurcher years ago i used to walk it as a pup on some set aside , had the farmer pull up " not allowed on here " replied sorry went to move off and he told me what fields i could walk over .

next day im walking over the same fields he said i could cross , pulls up again "not allowed on here , how you like it if i walked across your garden ??" :huh:

that was the start of a year of me and him having a running argument and him following me im his landy most days , i had him let my tyres down and ring police saying ui was hare coursing ( i was ferreting on permission at time and had no dog )

if i went out with lamp he'd be watching , we lived in same area he was like my sodding shadow he really went out his way to piss me off .

ended up fisticuffs and me getting a visit from old bill after he threatned shooting my dog , i got in trouble he didnt get a thing done to him , probably shouldnt have got fighting but someone saying there gonna shoot your dog causes your blood to rise .

Sensible, well reasoned reply fellah...

There is a time ( and most definitely, a place) for talking about exciting poaching exploits,.disaster stories, illegal forays, etc..... Perhaps the Internet ain't the right location...who knows ?

Anyway, maybe such anecdotes are best left sleeping,.. for now... :yes:

My personal take on the situation, regarding dogs getting shot,.and what would ya do to the gunman, is as follows,..Being the son of a Shepherd ,...I have seen what a roaming, stock worrying jukel, can and frequently will do... :censored: I've buried the dead,..both arse bitten woolybacks and canine culprits.

When you live in a rural landscape,..there are rules,..these guidelines have nothing to do with a romantic Poachers v' Landowners type scenario,..but more so, with basic respect and the need to survive...In short, if a dog is killing livestock, or god forbid, running amok in a pen , crunching pheasants,...and there is no other way of stopping the carnage,..well,..its gonna be short and sweet , gun up to to shoulder and digging spade quickly brought out of the back of the truck :yes:

But,..to randomly kill a beautiful running dog, for simply chasing a wild hare, a free running deer,..or in some instances, a poxy fecking rabbit,...is just not on...

Who would do such a thing,....only a fool,...

There are rules,...and both sides of the fence, would do well to abide by them..... :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 8

Not got any perm never have had any. Shoot my dog then expect somthing back in return.

spot on , if they like killing things= your dog, show him the farmer , you can do the same , kill his sheep , and pile them up in heap . he get the message very quick , with 10-15 sheep in a pile . he think twice about being trigger happy again . :yes: ive always said it, hit the farmer hard in the pocket , his stock just money to him there not pets etc , its the only way to get back at them. I deff would :yes: all my dogs are stock trained from 9 weeks old, and I still keep on top of it now even with dogs 4 and 9 years old . so if any trigger happy twat shot my dogs for being on there ground , and the dogs are under my control and no danger to his stock, i would deff do the above 100%, he be out of pocket all that year . :yes:

Rubbish, why should his stock have to suffer because of your dissagrement? It wont really hurt his pocket because he will just claim of his insurace because some twat has killed his stock.

• Like 1

Not got any perm never have had any. Shoot my dog then expect somthing back in return.

spot on , if they like killing things= your dog, show him the farmer , you can do the same , kill his sheep , and pile them up in heap . he get the message very quick , with 10-15 sheep in a pile . he think twice about being trigger happy again . :yes: ive always said it, hit the farmer hard in the pocket , his stock just money to him there not pets etc , its the only way to get back at them. I deff would :yes: all my dogs are stock trained from 9 weeks old, and I still keep on top of it now even with dogs 4 and 9 years old . so if any trigger happy twat shot my dogs for being on there ground , and the dogs are under my control and no danger to his stock, i would deff do the above 100%, he be out of pocket all that year . :yes:

Rubbish, why should his stock have to suffer because of your dissagrement? It wont really hurt his pocket because he will just claim of his insurace because some twat has killed his stock.

well , ive started the new year off well with my wife , we had good few words regards this post, and my thread , she says I am wrong deff. 1st everything would be on the farmers side , 2nd you be illegal on ground, 3rd he say your dog was chasing sheep , so he shot it, no witness , just your word against his, you got no chance farmer would win every time . and my wife said you run the gauntlet , every time you poach, its either you can get hurt, or maybe in the case a shot dead dog . and even if try to take revenge with the above, it wouldn't stop him shooting dogs , and she said ok i know you can get hot headed at times , but wont prove nothing , I will always loose in this case. and ive had some close calls over the last 30years , and maybe been lucky , and come out of it not to bad . So she right ive changed my mind on above , you got move on from it , as best as you can . even though deep down you feel different , there only going to be one looser and that the lurcher bloke in the end, theres to much stacked against us and keep your dogs biddable and stock trained like my dogs have always been, you never know you might a nice normal farmer lol and get some ground . :yes:

• Like 3

Sensible, well reasoned reply fellah...

There is a time ( and most definitely, a place) for talking about exciting poaching exploits,.disaster stories, illegal forays, etc..... Perhaps the Internet ain't the right location...who knows ?

Anyway, maybe such anecdotes are best left sleeping,.. for now... :yes:

My personal take on the situation, regarding dogs getting shot,.and what would ya do to the gunman, is as follows,..Being the son of a Shepherd ,...I have seen what a roaming, stock worrying jukel, can and frequently will do... :censored: I've buried the dead,..both arse bitten woolybacks and canine culprits.

When you live in a rural landscape,..there are rules,..these guidelines have nothing to do with a romantic Poachers v' Landowners type scenario,..but more so, with basic respect and the need to survive...In short, if a dog is killing livestock, or god forbid, running amok in a pen , crunching pheasants,...and there is no other way of stopping the carnage,..well,..its gonna be short and sweet , gun up to to shoulder and digging spade quickly brought out of the back of the truck :yes:

But,..to randomly kill a beautiful running dog, for simply chasing a wild hare, a free running deer,..or in some instances, a poxy fecking rabbit,...is just not on...

Who would do such a thing,....only a fool,...

"Have I been at the death of a shot lurcher ?

Have I been threatened by a 'man with a gun' ?

Have I been shot at ?"......

What did I do ?

As stated,...a conversation for another time,.another place... :whistling:

There are rules,...and both sides of the fence, would do well to abide by them..... :thumbs:

img093.tif.jpg

Ooh you don`t half talk all flowery Phil.

• Like 1