Farmers Shooting Dogs.

don't worry stock and stay on permission and you won't have a problem if you don't your aware of the consquences.sorry gaz but i'm not sticking with the majority on here. i wouldn't keep company with 9/10ths of people on here and i doubt they would me .thank god.

No need to apologise to me fella. You're a lucky man with the permission you've got but we aren't all that lucky. I wish I was but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Thats why I don't see every man who jumps the fence as a disrespectful thug or stock worrier like some on here are implying. Some of us are just out to work our dogs and do the best we can to do our thing and not upset anyone. But it doesnt always go to plan.

if you want permission all you got to do is become a slaughterman and tell every farmer you meet that there lambs/cattle are the best you've ever seen.haha.permission granted.

• Like 1

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its a sad reflection on the majority of lurcher owners that they do not have a clue on basic countryside knowledge and the laws of the land.Any dog out of control amidst stock should be shot and the o

Bastarts even photo bomd my pictures lol

Spot on that.   We had one last year come screaming over in his pickup, got out balling and shouting and sticking his chest out. It was just scare tactics. Once he saw I was calm and trying to be r

Posted Images

Morton, dogs since 5 years old, and more seriously for the last 36 years. Are you only 41 years of age then?

Ah right lol, just with the amount of years with dogs was just a tad confusing. I'm tired lol :thumbs:

Without going into it too much my dogs are broke to everything including young game birds but I still avoid sheep if you've been seen on land before a trigger happy keeper or farmer will be dying to catch your dog in with stock. it's rare someone will come straight up and shoot a dog it's allways done from distance or from a motor. Best thing to do is keep your dog close and don't let it show aggression closest I've come to having a dog shot is when the dog started bearing it's teeth. I find the older fellers ok but it's the young ones straight out of keepering college you gotta watch out for.

If you hunt around Yorkshire and Cumbria its impossible not to encounter sheep,thus you cut your cloth accordingly.A mate had a dog shot from over 200 yds away from the rifle,it was under control and nearly at heel,Cow eye,as he was known,paid with a few severe beatings and still does not drink in Keighley.I find many young keepers with ego,s that was not taught by their elders,they keeper in a far less savoury way than their elders,their elders had more respect for the land and wildlife.

Surely if the dog was near heel it would have been close to the bloke . Regardless of worrying stock nobody should have a bullet aimed that close to them . Any miscalculation and the bloke could be dead not the dog

The dog was not worrying stock,it was well educated and entered.I don,t know how good a shot Cow eyes was,he shot a few dogs around the tarn in the 80,s and my mate walked literally 10 paces to the dead dog.Townsend was a known dog shooter and got away with it for many a year,then he shot the wrong dog.The time my mate went to the farm looking for him,highly agitated,his mother must have known the score and still told him which cow shed her son was in,how he got his little fat frame through that window to escape is still a thing of mystery and folklore around here,he was not always so fortunate,at least 3 times to my knowledge.

don't worry stock and stay on permission and you won't have a problem if you don't your aware of the consquences.sorry gaz but i'm not sticking with the majority on here. i wouldn't keep company with 9/10ths of people on here and i doubt they would me .thank god.

No need to apologise to me fella. You're a lucky man with the permission you've got but we aren't all that lucky. I wish I was but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Thats why I don't see every man who jumps the fence as a disrespectful thug or stock worrier like some on here are implying. Some of us are just out to work our dogs and do the best we can to do our thing and not upset anyone. But it doesnt always go to plan.

Ive more permission than i can hunt efficiently now,i started out with none and hunted that way for the majority of the time,i still use permission to haunt neighbouring land that ive no ticket to and cannot walk past a field that i know holds a gallop,permission or otherwise.Id encourage any DECENT sort to hunt where the hunting is bountiful,regardless of permission,IF they have the decency to hunt as an hunter should,respect the land,the stock and the mush who earns his crust from it.If you don,t have the fecking decency to educate your charge,especially around stock,you don,t earn the right to enter the land.The thugs and stock killers are not always the same folk,i hunted with more thugs that had better respect for the land and quarry than most.At the end of the day the feckwits stand alone,or should.

couldnt agree more gaz. Iv got permission in places but nowhere near enough to graft a dog. Think people need to realise probably less than 5 percent on here have enough perm. Most good working dogs have been bred through poaching and by people working there dogs hard. In my eyes as long as i dont cause harm or distreess to live stock or property its all good.

Always though using a firearm to deter trespassers was a criminal offence.

yeah sounds dodgy as f**k that does

More than likely the farmer or who ever he worked for was a wealthy land owner and had considerable influence over the police and judiciary in that area as that can be the case in some area's.

Some people like me are not fortunate enough to have a lot of permission. So to work the dog I have no reason but to poach. As stated from both sides lads should have respect for land and stock there poaching. Closing gates ect. But then keepers, farms hands, some times need to step down a peg or two because there's some people that are not going to walk away. When getting mouthed at. Good and bad in both sorts. Sometimes it's purely wrong place wrong time wrong day. Everyone has a bad day.

• Like 1

if you want permission all you got to do is become a slaughterman and tell every farmer you meet that there lambs/cattle are the best you've ever seen.haha.permission granted.

Haha I will keep that in mind if I fancy a career change mate. Lol.

My lack of permo isn't a reflection on lack of trying. Ask Navek on here. He's been with me asking for permo on more than one occasion. My face just doesn't fit the bill. He knocks on any door in the country and gets a yes. It boils my piss. But that's just how it goes. Lol.

As you can see from the posts above Morton, sometimes it's nothing to do with stock. Just angry land owners.

The vast majority of land owners ive encountered,whilst in the company of lurchers,were usually the angry sort,fact.Landowners have an habit of tarring us all the same and its taken me the majority of my hunting life to educate a few of them to the fact that the majority of lurcher owners despise the feckwits,with lurchers,as much as the farmers do,nearly.Its always 1 step forward and 3 back because of the actions of the mindless minority and no matter how hard some of us attempt to redress the balance there is always another feckwit to encourage the discrimination a few of us work against.Ive earnt my respect through respect and the dogs at heel.I can live with the angry shepherds and understand their outlook,i cannot live with the feckwits and will never understand why they own or want a lurcher.

As you can see from the posts above Morton, sometimes it's nothing to do with stock. Just angry land owners.

The vast majority of land owners ive encountered,whilst in the company of lurchers,were usually the angry sort,fact.Landowners have an habit of tarring us all the same and its taken me the majority of my hunting life to educate a few of them to the fact that the majority of lurcher owners despise the feckwits,with lurchers,as much as the farmers do,nearly.Its always 1 step forward and 3 back because of the actions of the mindless minority and no matter how hard some of us attempt to redress the balance there is always another feckwit to encourage the discrimination a few of us work against.Ive earnt my respect through respect and the dogs at heel.I can live with the angry shepherds and understand their outlook,i cannot live with the feckwits and will never understand why they own or want a lurcher.

You seem to get hung up on these feckwits Morton. I know what you're saying. But they never stick around for too long. A few seasons at most from what I've seen. Granted another comes along to take their place but that's life. I wouldn't get too mythered about it. I just keep my head down and do my thing with a select few. I've been pretty fortunate with regards to myther off landowners and even when confronted I've diffused the situation in quick time, they can see pretty quickly if you're going to cause them trouble and usually calm right down when they realise that you aren't.

Haha I will keep that in mind if I fancy a career change mate. Lol.

My lack of permo isn't a reflection on lack of trying. Ask Navek on here. He's been with me asking for permo on more than one occasion. My face just doesn't fit the bill. He knocks on any door in the country and gets a yes. It boils my piss. But that's just how it goes. Lol.

Ive knocked on more doors than an overzealous hawker and received more knock backs than the ugly fat lass at the prom,if i told you it took me over 30 years of trying to gain what i now have id not be exaggerating.I know lads that gained land the first time they knocked or after getting caught poaching by the landowner.I still hunted the land regardless.Farmers like a little commitment from us,ive done mole trapping,hay making,shepherding,ratting and roofing to gain a foothold,once i got my toe in it snowballed and became a monster,i now turn permission down.I can walk into a couple of pubs that farmers frequent and seldom hold an empty glass,many of those farmers once hated me,because i owned lurchers,now i rarely by lamb,beef or pork,i can walk over vast tracts of land unhindered,some of it ive no permission on,they turn a blind eye when they recognise the dogs.It took me over 3 decades to earn that trust,last year a local farmer asked me not to walk on his land again with the lurchers because he,d recently had stock killed by lurcher owners,that was a real kick in the guts.

• Like 3