.22 Springer Vs .22 Rimmy

I can't see what they are trying to prove? So an experienced springer shooter can shoot at 25/50 yards (indoor/no wind). Let's see the same test at 100 yards in a breezy field, or a penetration test on ballistic gel! I wounder if we'd pick up the springer for plus 100 yard rabbit shots?

• Like 3

Don't think it's trying to prove anything its just a vid I saw and thaught it may be of interest to someone. My shooting partner had a remington 597 .22 lr and we found my fac airgun was more accurate and opened up more safe shooting opertunitys for a shot than the .22 lr. Personaly think I prefer the airgun. It an interesting video.

• Like 2

The other night I was out shooting with my FAC HW80 .22. I hit a rabbit clean through the head at 30 yards and the pellet went on to thump against a metal barn wall about 80 yards further on. Had that been a .22 rimfire round it would have certainly gone into the barn wall. Perhaps through it and damaged a vehicle inside. Or worse and killed someone.

Had anyone been around in the way, the pellet would have hurt them. The bullet could have killed them.

A sub-12 ft/lb .22 pellet would have remained inside the rabbits head and imparted massive lethal expansion and shock. Killing it instantly. No further risk of travel beyond. Job done.

Both rifle types have their roles on the shooting field. But there cannot be a "one-versus-another" scenario. Nothing beats a .22LR Rimfire or 17 HMR for rabbits at 70 yards and over beyond in good open country with no close boundaries to watch for. But nothing beats an air rifle (regardless of preferred calibre ) when it comes to shooting at 20 to 50 yards around meadows and paddocks and woodland; and theres a risky situation regarding buildings, people and roads and traffic in the vacinity of your boundaries.

It's commonsense use here. Both are unbeatable in their right environs

• Like 6

I can't see what they are trying to prove? So an experienced springer shooter can shoot at 25/50 yards (indoor/no wind). Let's see the same test at 100 yards in a breezy field, or a penetration test on ballistic gel! I wounder if we'd pick up the springer for plus 100 yard rabbit shots?

. 100 yard rabbit shots, your still in catapult range, I only get the bsa meteor out for 150 plus, man up
  • Like 2

The other night I was out shooting with my FAC HW80 .22. I hit a rabbit clean through the head at 30 yards and the pellet went on to thump against a metal barn wall about 80 yards further on. Had that been a .22 rimfire round it would have certainly gone into the barn wall. Perhaps through it and damaged a vehicle inside. Or worse and killed someone.

Had anyone been around in the way, the pellet would have hurt them. The bullet could have killed them.

A sub-12 ft/lb .22 pellet would have remained inside the rabbits head and imparted massive lethal expansion and shock. Killing it instantly. No further risk of travel beyond. Job done.

Both rifle types have their roles on the shooting field. But there cannot be a "one-versus-another" scenario. Nothing beats a .22LR Rimfire or 17 HMR for rabbits at 70 yards and over beyond in good open country with no close boundaries to watch for. But nothing beats an air rifle (regardless of preferred calibre ) when it comes to shooting at 20 to 50 yards around meadows and paddocks and woodland; and theres a risky situation regarding buildings, people and roads and traffic in the vacinity of your boundaries.

Uttermost safety awarenesses are things looked for when FAC is granted, the use of any firearm should be as if it was FAC, Air Rifle or not. It is those behind them, not the power.

• Like 2

Don't think it's trying to prove anything its just a vid I saw and thaught it may be of interest to someone. My shooting partner had a remington 597 .22 lr and we found my fac airgun was more accurate and opened up more safe shooting opertunitys for a shot than the .22 lr. Personaly think I prefer the airgun. It an interesting video.

Total agree, my Anschutz 1417 is a great gun and delivers a .22 sub in side a 10p coin at 25 yards. However, my HW100 can easily shoot through the same hole at 25 yards and in calm conditions hit a 5p at 50 yards.

• Like 1

I beg to differ, I've shot FAC air and Sub 12ft/lb at 30 yard and had the pellet go through a Rabbit's head, whereas when I've shot rabbits with Eley Sub, which are expanding .22lr ammunition the bullet has not, it has expanded, lost energy in doing so and remained in the Rabbit's head.

Total agree, my Anschutz 1417 is a great gun and delivers a .22 sub in side a 10p coin at 25 yards. However, my HW100 can easily shoot through the same hole at 25 yards and in calm conditions hit a 5p at 50 yards.

Well mate my cz 511 semi auto can do that 10p coin group at 75 yards off a bipod no sweat with Eley subs,seriously mate have you thought about trying some different ammo, because a rifle with a quality match barrel like your Anschutz (I used to own the same rifle) has the potential for seriously good groups.

• Like 1