Carpet Mill/slat Mill

Don't forget a mill is only an extra . For people who want to put that extra time in . People are getting confused you can't just use a mill . But when people are saying they don't have any benefit . Then that's impossible if your using one right it's got to have benifits because your putting that extra work in plus all the work your already doing .

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For normal working terriers ,I disagree. I know a bit about using mills and when it comes to hunting dogs mills are more of a benefit to the owner than the dog.

That's what makes me laugh about mills. Lads think they're a great way of exercising a dog while you have your dinner etc. but to use a mill properly you should walk the dog before putting him on the

make you one if you let me know what size dog you going to run on it?

Posted Images

I sort of agree with you HPR but where is the line between a dog failing because of lack of heart and lack of fitness? Are you saying that a dog that lacks a bit of heart can be made better by fitness?

id imagine the opposite a dog that lacks fitness or condition will quit quicker if he hits the wall that he would of got past if fit.

I sort of agree with you HPR but where is the line between a dog failing because of lack of heart and lack of fitness? Are you saying that a dog that lacks a bit of heart can be made better by fitness?

Yes a dog can be made better by being fitter, heart comes in when there tired.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most dogs love treadmills and will hop up on them unaided and cant wait to get going on them wheres the harm in that? Its just a different form of exercise the same as a flirt pole, retrieving,mooching, walking, running and of course working are all part of the complete package. I dont know why lads are so critical of them nobody said they were using them solo for fitness and if some lads exercise with their dogs as much as they say they do then how come they could do with a spell on the treadmill themselves never mind the dogs. Lol

• Like 1

I'd disagree with that totally. Heart (gameness) doesn't come in to it with fitness. I've seen terriers that are fit as a fiddle walk after 5 minutes and refuse to enter without even being out of breath.

Obviously day to day fitness such as regular walks and exercise are necessary but optimum fitness found on a treadmill won't make a dog that lacks heart any better IMO.

• Like 1

Terriers and fightin dogs are totally diffrent u can't compare the 2, I apreciate both, I read from a respected dog man that most dogs quit becouse they ain't fit , makes sense, that's why so much emphasis is on the "keep" in fightin dogs, long live the "TRUE Bulldogs

A dog that lacks heart lacks heart mate . Nothing can cure that . What I'm say is are a lot of these dogs coming off because they lack heart your because there f****d . So I like to make sure mine are fit so I know that's not one of the causes . And then it's got to be down to the dogs gameness . I know lads that don't even walk there dogs only go out when worked and get through the day . I also know lads that take them for a walk and bike and get through the day . But in my eyes you can't walk a dog fit . When your walking a dog or biking a dog it's all stamina where's the explosion fitness . I just like to make sure mines got both . For my own peace of mind . Mine only go on the mill for a short time . The rest of the works walking and flirt pole . They get the full summer off apart from walks out with me .

• Like 2

Not the greatest pic but this dog had been conditioned on the mill flirt pole and walks then had the summer off this was in June time I think . So would of been four months or so out the season .

I'd disagree with that totally. Heart (gameness) doesn't come in to it with fitness. I've seen terriers that are fit as a fiddle walk after 5 minutes and refuse to enter without even being out of breath.

Obviously day to day fitness such as regular walks and exercise are necessary but optimum fitness found on a treadmill won't make a dog that lacks heart any better IMO.

Seen terriers quit seen lurchers stop chasing seen bull dogs stop because they didn't want it anymore, nowt you can put in if the heart isn't there.But if a dog is 100% fit it can go longer and harder no if's no buts making it a better dog.