The Irish Game And Country Fair At Birr Castle This Weekend Saturday 27Th And Sunday 28Th August 16

Why breed dogs if they look after them and then trying sell them of I could never understand it.

Chesney, I would doubt very much that these dogs were bred by the person selling them. Most of very different type and were aged or infirm - they did not look fit enough to hunt, be shown or race. In fact they looked very much as if they had been collected from a pound to make a quick buck.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Handbags at dawn again lol. Season starting shortly most lads can't wait to get at it, others are already organising events for next year which I've no problem with and I enjoy a good show, though I r

..authorities..their a charity same as the uspca,they have no rights to be invited to snoop about peoples dogs hit them in the pocket,let them go to court and try and get an order to snoop about, ma

The Irish Game Fair committee is very supportive of all country sports and in particular have shown outstanding support for working terriers.   Contrary to what was posted earlier about the terrier

Posted Images

bought the best pup i ever had at the gamefair and if i remember rightly Albert one of the features at the fairs in north was that oul boy with sherlock holmes hat knocking out ferrets, what the difference ,in ferrets an dogs

A huge difference between dogs and ferrets including even lifespan. However with the risk of pups being an impulse purchase at the fair or very young pups having a long and hard day at the fair I am against dogs being sold. In previous years I fielded the complaints and went round all of the people selling pups to make sure they had food and water but I did tell them all we were stopping this. The dog dealer has been on my radar for a few years as I have always been concerned by the number of complaints we have had about him.

bought the best pup i ever had at the gamefair and if i remember rightly Albert one of the features at the fairs in north was that oul boy with sherlock holmes hat knocking out ferrets, what the difference ,in ferrets an dogs

A huge difference between dogs and ferrets including even lifespan. However with the risk of pups being an impulse purchase at the fair or very young pups having a long and hard day at the fair I am against dogs being sold. In previous years I fielded the complaints and went round all of the people selling pups to make sure they had food and water but I did tell them all we were stopping this. The dog dealer has been on my radar for a few years as I have always been concerned by the number of complaints we have had about him.

but how can you complain about someone selling pups when yous have a man on your advertising posters for decades knocking out ferret kits, prob thousands of them over the years

one rule for one another rule for another,maybe the fert seller donates.lol..

• Like 1

but how can you complain about someone selling pups when yous have a man on your advertising posters for decades knocking out ferret kits, prob thousands of them over the years

Wrong fair and advertising poster - I think the poster you refer to is for the countrysports fair which has nothing to do with me. . And of course a world of difference in an enthusiast selling well reared, well bred ( by yourself) and well cared for ferrets and someone selling a ragbag collection of unwanted, poor conditioned dogs apparently collected up to make a fast buck.

Edited by AlbertJ

I have just been speaking to and working with a man who rehomes gundogs. He works very hard at this and ensures every dog is rehomed to a permanent home. The contrast between this guy and the person who arrived at our fair to try to make a fast buck by selling unwanted dogs in poor condition is so great, that when I came home to be greeted with people who would profess to be real 'doggy men' wanting to ally themselves to someone such as the guy we asked to leave the fair - I am truly sickened.

I am sorry gentlemen but if you think the activities of this person deserve your support then I have nothing whatsoever in common with you and I will spend no further time debating the matter with you.

• Like 2

lads only having their opinion,we know you have nothing in common with ordinary terrier n lurcher men,but no call for your n/korean attitude,its an open forum for debate.

I am a country sports enthusiast who has been a dog owner and trainer all my life. My father had border terriers , my uncle corgis and he gave my first dog which I used for ratting. I progressed to gundogs rather than terriers and lurchers. But I have always supported both publicly and behind the scenes legitimate hunting with terriers & lurchers.

I definitely have nothing in common with people who support dog dealers selling unwanted dogs in poor condition and apparently gathered up to make a quick buck.

From the messages of support I have had from terrier & lurcher owners whom I consider true country sports enthusiasts, I am pleased to say that I appear to have more in common with these people who work, show, race and care for their dogs than those who wish to make money from canine misery, their supporters or the apologists for them.

Edited by AlbertJ
  • Like 1

I have just been speaking to and working with a man who rehomes gundogs. He works very hard at this and ensures every dog is rehomed to a permanent home. The contrast between this guy and the person who arrived at our fair to try to make a fast buck by selling unwanted dogs in poor condition is so great, that when I came home to be greeted with people who would profess to be real 'doggy men' wanting to ally themselves to someone such as the guy we asked to leave the fair - I am truly sickened.

I am sorry gentlemen but if you think the activities of this person deserve your support then I have nothing whatsoever in common with you and I will spend no further time debating the matter with you.

Wrong fair and advertising poster - I think the poster you refer to is for the countrysports fair which has nothing to do with me. . And of course a world of difference in an enthusiast selling well reared, well bred ( by yourself) and well cared for ferrets and someone selling a ragbag collection of unwanted, poor conditioned dogs apparently collected up to make a fast buck.

iv never been to any fairs other than shanes and clandeboye an sherlock was on posters, you say you dont agree with animals being sold at the fair im just pointing out that it was ok for thousands of ferrets to be on sale and im pretty sure that a few gundogs change hands when people meet up at the fair.

theres plenty of alcohol for sale,you can be sure.

iv never been to any fairs other than shanes and clandeboye an sherlock was on posters, you say you dont agree with animals being sold at the fair im just pointing out that it was ok for thousands of ferrets to be on sale and im pretty sure that a few gundogs change hands when people meet up at the fair.

theres plenty of alcohol for sale,you can be sure.

lol cops walking about half cut

:whistling::laugh:

One of the best digging dogs ever around these parts and probably one of the best in the country was bought at one of these game fairs for 50 pounds in the old punts that's along time ago,why call it a game fair if there's no selling aloud.

• Like 2

you want honest opinion youse fecking shooters at these fairs don't give lurcher and terrier men fair crack youse want the money ok but stick them away in some back dunghole of a field

here that true there stuck behind the bogs an the pub so the dont venture into main part the fair.. an closest to the exit

And god help us if we breed a purpose bred mongeral for rabbit or fox then we are yet again breeding dirt unfit for hunting or for sale.

As I previously stated in my earlier reply I briefly seen the dogs all appeared to have food and water I didnt notice any that were ill treated or under wait and I never said any were well minded either.

Hatch, If you were in any way hassled by the ISPCA please give me details ( byPM) and I will make a formal complaint as their only role there was to prevent the sale of dogs and pups and the threat to their welfare. As Shane said the dogs owned by the person I asked to leave were in miserable condition, from doubtful sources and most of them filthy - I saw two that he 'sold' or gave away limping away. Apart from the complaints they generated I felt they were an infection hazard to other dogs at the fair.

If it had been up to me I would have taken the dogs from him but I personally felt I did not have right to do anything other than stopping him from pursuing his pernicious trade in canine misery at our event. The ISCPA could and would probably have taken the dogs from him but I felt I should deal with this matter personally.

NOW FACT : This person was not there to SHOW the dogs but to SELL them to anyone foolish or sympathetic to purchase them. He certainly cannot be viewed as a REAL terrier or lurcher man but someone trying to make a fast buck by trading poor quality unwanted dogs. Anyone who knows anything about terrier or lurchers could see that these dogs were unfit for work, unfit for showing and unfit for racing. He knew from our publicity and signs that we were not allowing the sale of pups or dogs and decided to chance his arm. As I say his display of dogs brings unwanted complaints about the terrier & lurcher area and fraternity to the Garda and ISPCA and he certainly does no good to the image of the terrier and lurcher world or to country sports.

It may interest you to know that I have had several dozen messages of support from true terrier and lurcher men supporting his removal - I cannot understand how anyone could sympathise with

Why would I want to make a formal complaint to the ISPCA are you for real? what good would that do?have you no concept of what these low life's are capable of, and you claim that they were there to prevent the sale of dogs were they working for you then how much did you pay them? they tried to engage with me in conversation but I declined I wont be subjected to there brain washing,oh and how come all these terrier and lurcher men don't come on here with there support of the ISPCA is it only pm ?