Out Of Town

I've been discussing this very same programme!

Loved it as a kid, wish something like it was on these days.

Who in this day and age could present it from modern day presenters?

I can't think of any, with the same passion, knowledge and experience.

One of my favourite episodes below, stuck with me for yrs,although they were all good ?

https://youtu.be/rlOGdWxJQTE

• Like 2

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Jack Hargreaves sitting in his shed, all decked out with fishing gear, rabbiting gear, puffing away on his pipe, i loved this   program as a kid, i can remember hearing the theme song start pla

TC

The 80s was a time before political correctness reared its ugly head Jack Hargreaves was a master at keeping you interested on country matters, unmissable on my part that guy knew his stuff. Jacks gam

Loved Out of Town, 11 o clock on a Saturday morning.

No picture post card images of the countryside with Jack, he talked of the countryside as a working landscape.

Who can tell me the other series he done ?

How!

LOL, I only had the question asked when I thought of the scientific show "How" that J.H. was on, it was a great show.

The one I meant was "Old Country."

• Like 2

Loved it , tillylamp I can relate to everything your saying . . Didn't he take some old boy fishing on his 100th birthday ??

yes bud...i really enjoyed watching it back then, i couldn't get enough of it at that time....but it was brilliant...

i bet his shed smelt good, with that aromatic pipe tobacco........

• Like 1

I've been discussing this very same programme!

Loved it as a kid, wish something like it was on these days.

Who in this day and age could present it from modern day presenters?

I can't think of any, with the same passion, knowledge and experience.

One of my favourite episodes below, stuck with me for yrs,although they were all good

https://youtu.be/rlOGdWxJQTE

you and me bud.....loved it as a kid, iv'e tried to think of who could do a modern day version of...out of town, but it is hard to image anyone else doing it, because nothing is televised like this any more.....some things live and die with that person,

do you think the fisherman...john wilson could do it?

that video you posted...i remember it well, just like it was yesterday....... :laugh:

• Like 1

Got all the Out of towns on DVD ,still enjoy them from time to time .

Never heard or seen of this but it seems like my tyoe of program....u doin a copy fella?

it was a brilliant program.....basically, this older bloke (Jack Hargreaves) sits in his shed smoking his pipe, talking about hunting/fishing, and shows footage of it, and amongst other things....it's a good watch.

The episode I remember best was one with kingfishers in. If I remember correctly somebody was trying to raise one; either as a pet or because they'd found it injured.

Jack Hargreaves died on my 25th birthday and I just can't imagine anybody doing anything similar nowadays without it being either sanitised or condescending. For a while we had a good series down here in Hampshire called Countryways which was presented by Jim Flegg or Clegg and Jill Somethingorother. I've just googled it to find their names but couldn't...but I did find out that it started in 1984. It was a lovely mix of features similar to those in Out of Town with beautiful classical music. I think it finished about ten years ago and one of the last episodes I remember was with a gamekeeper with a bull x greyhound.

Did other regions have their own versions of Countryways?

Edited by Neal