Bull X Cocker...

Gaz_1989

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tommy27 has been and picked up one of the bull X cockers off steven as advertised on here.   He's a big old lad. Just took a quick few pics next to my brindle bitch for comparison. Will get some bet

I think the Plummer wouldn't make a bad cross actually

I have something similar -half cocker,5/16 Plummer,1/16 pitbull ,1/8 patterdale
try an get a few pics up mate atb mud

Yeh get some pics up. How old is it and how's it working out?

deadly little bitch-goes to ground too -got her first fox (in cover) 2 weeks back.impossible to make her tired.ill try and find some pics of her-she was an accidental breeding

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Just wondering if you guys with these dogs are still going good plus wondering how you all would think they would do on hard game

My bitch and Tommys dog are doing good mate. Bush like trains and find anything anywhere.

If I had to take a guess I would say they would do the job on teeth pre ban.

My bitch today...

16E8E015-F8A8-496A-8C99-699E41E6C21E_zps

81E2EF83-1FD1-4D25-9DA0-1913CAFDFCBB_zps

• Like 3

I was wondering I know some of you guys were talking about fox hunting with them and that is something I have been trying to learn about and get into plus I was wondering how they would do on the trap line tracking bobcat that had pulled a trap off or with coyote which I know a lot of you guys have not dealt with the best way I can explain it is think of a small wolf about 55-65 pounds but that acts like a fox there are a few guys just north of us that hunt them with pure blood beagles the way one of them talked they have been doing for a few years and have never had a dog hurt bad let alone killed in a fight but I would think the bull blood would make them a little bit better if it came to a fight just out of curiosity what the size of your dog is she open one a track or quite does it just flush to the gun or does she want to catch what she founds

I was wondering I know some of you guys were talking about fox hunting with them and that is something I have been trying to learn about and get into plus I was wondering how they would do on the trap line tracking bobcat that had pulled a trap off or with coyote which I know a lot of you guys have not dealt with the best way I can explain it is think of a small wolf about 55-65 pounds but that acts like a fox there are a few guys just north of us that hunt them with pure blood beagles the way one of them talked they have been doing for a few years and have never had a dog hurt bad let alone killed in a fight but I would think the bull blood would make them a little bit better if it came to a fight just out of curiosity what the size of your dog is she open one a track or quite does it just flush to the gun or does she want to catch what she founds

I have just read your PM mate and will try to answer your questions best I can.

They are between 18 and 20 inches tts and between 45lb and 55lb.

I reckon they would dispatch fox if it was legal here. They would also tackle bigger stuff too I think. But obviously I can't say for certain being in the UK.

The dog gives better voice than the bitch. She only screams on rabbit if she's right up behind it whereas the dog makes a real racket when there's anything in his vicinity.

They both scream when on the scent of a fox.

They will follow a line but can also be called off with a whistle depending how fresh it is. If it's really fresh as in just bolted then you've got no chance.

They will both run their quarry after flushing.

Both retrieve perfectly. I haven't shot over mine yet but I'm pretty sure she woud be useful and would work closely knocking bits up to the gun and then retrieving what you shot.

Hope this is of some help.

E96537B3-CD58-4C39-9688-77321E67E15C_zps

• Like 1

What's the next step for these bull cockers when you've got to replace them lads ? Breed em tight or outcross to other breeds/types ?

I think the original plan was to breed to cocker again for 3/4 cocker 1/4 bull. But I'm sure mud will confirm, that's the fella who bred them.

Personally I would look to put a hard spaniel or beagle X spaniel over my bitch.

Then maybe go back to the bull after that to keep the bull blood there. But a little bull goes a long way I think and 1/4 would probably be enough.

• Like 2

Gaz any of you's heard how the lad from Stoke is getting on with his dog atb mud

Yes mate I saw him at a funeral the other week. We only spoke briefly as it wasn't really the time or place to be talking dogs but he is very happy with his bitch. Says she is doing very well. Works as well as his full spaniel and just as controllable but got that extra power and strength for retrieving shot foxes.

• Like 1