Heroes Of Helmand.

Tonight on Channel 4 @ 9pm.

The untold story of how a company of Parachute Regiment troops, held off the Taliban for 56 days, after becoming trapped in a remote Afghan town.

Promises to be compelling viewing !

• Like 4

The paras??? Was royal Irish mate

It was both

I had read a preview in a newspaper that said the troops involved were Para's. Anyone who knows me will know that I intended absolutely no disrespect to any soldier involved.

They are better men than I will ever be !

Royal Irish sent a platoon (ranger platoon) to 3 para for the tour cause they didn't have the man power, easy company (Somme and barossa platoon) where sent to secure camp bastion, again not enough men, they where tasked with camp security of bastion,then got called to go to mus a quala, the paras left them there ffs they came under the paras admin, they where their supporting them, and yet the Taliban had to drive them out, the higher ranks of the company was para reg lads and a handful of reg lads where attached to the 2 platoons, but 90% of the lads in easy company where bothe from the north or South of Ireland and a few Fijians and couple of English lads thrown in the mix, I know them all

• Like 3

Not going to off thread i hope,and thanks for heads up on that blackbriar! Ive just read Longest kill ,a good read and very interesting ,poor guy treated badly at the end of it by the army! Anyone else read it? anything on a similar line i can download as i need some holiday reading material!

Royal Irish sent a platoon (ranger platoon) to 3 para for the tour cause they didn't have the man power, easy company (Somme and barossa platoon) where sent to secure camp bastion, again not enough men, they where tasked with camp security of bastion,then got called to go to mus a quala, the paras left them there ffs they came under the paras admin, they where their supporting them, and yet the Taliban had to drive them out, the higher ranks of the company was para reg lads and a handful of reg lads where attached to the 2 platoons, but 90% of the lads in easy company where bothe from the north or South of Ireland and a few Fijians and couple of English lads thrown in the mix, I know them all

exactly, family n friends in it, god bless the ROYAL IRISH REGIMENT

Was that Doug Beatties lot? I read his book a few years back, I was rediculous what they were expected to achieve with us h a small force.

Was that Doug Beatties lot? I read his book a few years back, I was rediculous what they were expected to achieve with us h a small force.

No mate Doug was further south, he is 1 crazy b*****d and a force to be reckoned with lol. they didn't expect that war to be like that they hoped for another Iraq , they flew 10 of us home to Belfast in our desert uniform lol I didnt mind I couldnt even bite my own finger after 2 beers on the plane lol that show last night missed a lot of things out, a hell of a lot of things!

• Like 1

No mate Doug was further south, he is 1 crazy b*****d and a force to be reckoned with lol. they didn't expect that war to be like that they hoped for another Iraq , they flew 10 of us home to Belfast in our desert uniform lol I didnt mind I couldnt even bite my own finger after 2 beers on the plane lol that show last night missed a lot of things out, a hell of a lot of things!

If I remember correctly from his book his charged in to clear a building and had to bayonet some Taliban hiding in the building...at the time I couldn't believe modern 'sanitised' war would come down to that...that was at the time us civis didn't even hear anything about Afghanistan. Even when I saw the first footage of paras blazing away I thought it was just for show for the cameras lol. I suppose the clowns that put our troops in such insane situations got promoted....

If I remember correctly from his book his charged in to clear a building and had to bayonet some Taliban hiding in the building...at the time I couldn't believe modern 'sanitised' war would come down to that...that was at the time us civis didn't even hear anything about Afghanistan. Even when I saw the first footage of paras blazing away I thought it was just for show for the cameras lol. I suppose the clowns that put our troops in such insane situations got promoted....

I done a stag position at a top of a fight of stairs with a pistol and tin of grenades, if I heard anything coming up the steps I was told to pull a pin and drop it lol the place was mental lol calmed down a lot now mind, last few years, but last 5/7 years it's all been IEDs they rarely do a full scale attack, they know the outcome, so bombs and shoot and skoots, a 20 million pounds Attack helicopter to engage a fella with a towel on his hand and a bed sheet, modern day warfare Alryt lol

• Like 1