Pointer X Greyhounds

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is my pointer cross huggy89 they make a handy allround lurcher, great marking dog very biddable a loyal.

this is my bitch , by one of dave slieghts greyhounds to a 3/4 gwp 1/4 greyhound , really usefull bitch , will quarter a moor / fell like a pointer , takes all quarry , will hold a point on birds , r

I am new to GWPs but would not have any other gun dog now ....they have a lot to offer a lurcher if you get the percentage and the blood right Mine out the other night shooting pigeons   Our t

Posted Images

I had a night out with a lad local to me a few years ago who has sadly since passed away. He had a first cross GWP x Grey who was a cracking looking bitch, she seemed to do alright on short runs on rabbits but lacked the pace when running bigger game and would yap with frustration.

After a tight turn she really seemed to struggle to build up speed to get back behind it, and by the time she had it would turn again and get quite a bit of distance from her. What she lacked in speed though, she made up for with her nose. She would be alert to where game was before we'd even turned the lamp on and spotted it. He told me that she was a cracking bitch for fox, but I never got to see it for myself.

I think a 3/4 Grey 1/4 GWP or possibly a 1/2 Grey 1/4 Deer 1/4 GWP dog would be a good all round cross, that bit more speed than a first cross.

. If the lad who passed away was mikey (aka Chesney ) from Darlington the dog he had was off Craig Nuttal one of his coursing dogs and gwp first cross

After owning aGWP I won't have any other breed of gun dog now as I've said before I have never been more frustrated in my years of training and owning dogs but that was more down to me and not the dog as I was trying to do too much too early but when they are ready they are a joy and I would go as far to say very easily trained was you understand them .

A lad I've done a fair bit with who is a member on here and has worked everything from lurchers,hounds terriers gun dogs I was speaking to last week and he hit the nail on the head for me he said I have got myself a lab ...it's like watching paint dry .

• Like 2

If I was too pack in owning Salukis and coursing Lurchers I would start again with coursing dog x GWP bitch with out a seconds hesitation seen enough of pointers bitch of that type and his pure GWP dog too know where that sort of thing could be taken over could of generations

• Like 1

There are a pair of Hungarian vizla's near me (the smooth ones) and the look lean and nice. think the lady said the dog weighed 25kg and must be about 24-25 tts they sort of lope when they run and eat up the ground a bit, they jump as well I believe. They certainly do as there told, from a physical point of view I think they could make a decent cross but not sure what they would be like in terms of gameness or behavior wise.

Anyone got any experience with these dogs?

viszla_zpscuifyc8s.jpg

this is a photo I found online look how streamline they are!

I had a night out with a lad local to me a few years ago who has sadly since passed away. He had a first cross GWP x Grey who was a cracking looking bitch, she seemed to do alright on short runs on rabbits but lacked the pace when running bigger game and would yap with frustration.

After a tight turn she really seemed to struggle to build up speed to get back behind it, and by the time she had it would turn again and get quite a bit of distance from her. What she lacked in speed though, she made up for with her nose. She would be alert to where game was before we'd even turned the lamp on and spotted it. He told me that she was a cracking bitch for fox, but I never got to see it for myself.

I think a 3/4 Grey 1/4 GWP or possibly a 1/2 Grey 1/4 Deer 1/4 GWP dog would be a good all round cross, that bit more speed than a first cross.

. If the lad who passed away was mikey (aka Chesney ) from Darlington the dog he had was off Craig Nuttal one of his coursing dogs and gwp first cross

No it was a lad from West Auckland, my pal knew him from college.

A lot of falconers n goshawk owners went mad for them Vizla couple year back

Probably because him off Countryfile has one lol

I'd stick with the GWP for lurchers, from what I know talking to keepers and lads that use them for falconry and fox drives etc. they are known to generally be better for stuff that bites back.

There must be a lot more pointer crosses in this part of Durham than anywhere else in the country. It makes sense I suppose they can do a bit round the doors and in twenty minutes your onto open land covered in heather, reeds and white grass. And that my friends is the playground of the GWP and the GWP lurcher lol.

There must be a lot more pointer crosses in this part of Durham than anywhere else in the country. It makes sense I suppose they can do a bit round the doors and in twenty minutes your onto open land covered in heather, reeds and white grass. And that my friends is the playground of the GWP and the GWP lurcher lol.

All proper good dogs come from the north east everyone knows that ?

• Like 4
  • 5 weeks later...

I RECENTLY lost my dog a gwp x greyhound mostly used on the hill for foxing but could take him beating but he came in to his own when he was out rangeing on the hill with the the wind blowing in to his face he would make the hair go up on the back of your neck .HE will take abit of replaceing but I have to try so if there his anybody got one or breeding one would you please get in touch . THEY would not suit every body has a lurcher but there you go . IF i cant find one I will breed a litter has i know of a good dog know a gwp just need greyhound bitch all the best. BOLTY

• Like 4

This is definitely a cross I've been mulling over, but as it's mostly pigeon shooting I do I'm not sure they'd be suitable to sit their whilst on the job. So a dog that will sit their whilst pigeon shooting, accompany the terriers on digging days, lamping rabbits and the odd ferreting expedition is what's needed, is that to much to ask from such a cross? I've got the lurcher bitch but lack the knowledge on pointers and their ways to make the leap, the more I think of it in fact the less suitable I think this dog maybe as I havnt got the mass expanses of moors to work over that I think this type of dog would excellent at.

Seeing as pointers are shooting/ falconry dogs it could be expected that a pointer cross would stand as good a chance of doing what you describe above as any other cross. There will be a few keepers that like a bit of terrierwork that have seen how keen some GWP's are on a fox. Therefore a cross from such a dog may produce a useful digging companion. I've seen GWP's out ferreting loads of times and I'd expect a pointer cross to take to that fairly easily. Having said that I've seen and owned a few pointer crosses that weren't up to the job but that could be said of many lurchers of all kinds. Then there's the running dog side to think about. I like a coursing dog cross and that goes for bull, collie etc etc crosses but some lads wouldn't want to own something with saluki in it so would go for a greyhound or a lurcher. I like a plain and simple first cross plodder but others need more speed and go for something with just a 1/4 and again that's the same with any type of cross.

They do like the moors and dales but my pointer cross didn't see such land until she was over three years old. Up until then I worked her on the waste grounds, industrial areas and disused railways around this part of Durham mostly alongside terriers with a bit of lamping thrown in. One things for certain a pointer cross needs work because just like a pure pointer they can be a real pain in the arse if bored.

I see what your saying but as a shooting falconry dog do they not wander round scenting and only stop on point when theirs something there, what id be after on the shooting part is something that will sit their whilst I'm in a hide an retrieve anything I manage to shoot, does a pointer have the patience to sit their like a lab would? And I'm not trying to start an argument I'm just after info. As far as crossing to a coursing dog, theirs not a chance in this world I'd consider anything with saluki blood and the way it's going everyone seems to want to throw a coursing dog over anything thinking it'll make a great all rounder, me personally I couldn't think of nothing worse.

I see what your saying but as a shooting falconry dog do they not wander round scenting and only stop on point when theirs something there, what id be after on the shooting part is something that will sit their whilst I'm in a hide an retrieve anything I manage to shoot, does a pointer have the patience to sit their like a lab would? And I'm not trying to start an argument I'm just after info. As far as crossing to a coursing dog, theirs not a chance in this world I'd consider anything with saluki blood and the way it's going everyone seems to want to throw a coursing dog over anything thinking it'll make a great all rounder, me personally I couldn't think of nothing worse.

Pure pointers are used when stalking for the very reason that they can be laid back when they are doing a job. I never had any problem when mine were in the hide.

2005_1106pigeons0024.jpg

And also very good when a bird drops a good distance off, just cast them out and leave them to it.

2005_1106pigeons0009.jpg

2005_1106pigeons0011.jpg

TC

• Like 5