Pointer X Greyhounds

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is my pointer cross huggy89 they make a handy allround lurcher, great marking dog very biddable a loyal.

this is my bitch , by one of dave slieghts greyhounds to a 3/4 gwp 1/4 greyhound , really usefull bitch , will quarter a moor / fell like a pointer , takes all quarry , will hold a point on birds , r

I am new to GWPs but would not have any other gun dog now ....they have a lot to offer a lurcher if you get the percentage and the blood right Mine out the other night shooting pigeons   Our t

Posted Images

Of all the HPR breeds that I have seen at work, the large munsterlander would be my preference for a lurcher cross. But the fire in some of the GWP is a thing to cherish. :thumbs:

ive never seen a munsterlander at work or know anything about them i noticed on preloved while having a browse there was a litter of munsterlander x whippet cross whippet x collie in wales.

Of all the HPR breeds that I have seen at work, the large munsterlander would be my preference for a lurcher cross. But the fire in some of the GWP is a thing to cherish. :thumbs:

ive never seen a munsterlander at work or know anything about them i noticed on preloved while having a browse there was a litter of munsterlander x whippet cross whippet x collie in wales.

from what I've seen they have the nigh on all the drive and ability of the GWP, but function at 80% of their ability most of the time. But reared well know when to turn up the wick to 100%. Whereas the GWP seem to run at 90/95% most of the time. If that make sense. So when crossed with a dog that has the sighthound/lurcher, it could just make the difference in the outcomes sensibilty. But as I said its purely a personal thing as I have overdogged myself before.

The closest I can come to explaining in is that I prefer the pointer lab x gun dog to the pointer and labs are just that little to steady/close for me

from what I've seen they have the nigh on all the drive and ability of the GWP, but function at 80% of their ability most of the time. But reared well know when to turn up the wick to 100%. Whereas the GWP seem to run at 90/95% most of the time. If that make sense. So when crossed with a dog that has the sighthound/lurcher, it could just make the difference in the outcomes sensibilty. But as I said its purely a personal thing as I have overdogged myself before.

The closest I can come to explaining in is that I prefer the pointer lab x gun dog to the pointer and labs are just that little to steady/close for me

Thanks for the reply :thumbs:

When I got my first GWP l done a lot of research into the breed. One article I read stated that the Munsterlander who are black and white, were created from the rejected GWP for not being the right colour for the breed standard.

The article I read stated when they decided to breed a new type of HPR dog the Deutsch Drahthaar (GWP) they decided to make the colour standard liver and white, solid liver and liver and tick. Any pups that deviated from those colours were PTS. The Jeagers who worked in the forestry in Munsterland could see these good working pups going to waste because of their colour so asked if they could have the pups just as working dogs. And that is how the breed of the Large Munsterlander was formed.

I have since then read different accounts of how the breed was formed so who knows what the truth is?

TC

Edited by Tiercel
  • Like 3

When I got my first GWP l done a lot of research into the breed. One article I read stated that the Munsterlander who are black and white, were created from the rejected GWP for not being the right colour for the breed standard.

The article I read stated when they decided to breed a new type of HPR dog the Deutsch Drahthaar (GWP) they decided to make the colour standard liver and white, solid liver and liver and tick. Any pups that deviated from that colours was PTS. The Jeagers who worked in the forestry in Munsterland could see these good working pups going to waste because of their colour so asked if they could have the pups just as working dogs. And that is how the breed of the Large Munsterlander was formed.

I have since then read different accounts of how the breed was formed so who knows what the truth is?

TC

TC, the history you talk of is how I understand it.However, the black and white colouring of the L/M is the Breed standard, yet from pure L/M litters I have seen black and white and liver and white pups. All the pups went to working homes and did well, but the liver and whites were frowned upon, until they were seen in the field. To my mind they were no different to the GLP.

• Like 1

From what I understand and I may be wrong, the two main crosses in the make up of the Drahthaar are the GSP and the GLP With other blood added from time to time. The out crosses always vary with who is writing the article, ( I think that depends on who the target buyers are). The funny thing is the black and white Drahthaar are acceptable in the breed standard now.

TC

• Like 1

From what I understand and I may be wrong, the two main crosses in the make up of the Drahthaar are the GSP and the GLP With other blood added from time to time. The out crosses always vary with who is writing the article, ( I think that depends on who the target buyers are). The funny thing is the black and white Drahthaar are acceptable in the breed standard now.

TC

The interesting thing is, why are the B&W now acceptable? A good dog is never the wrong colour, but previously wrong colours may become right colours. For entirely the wrong reason. I pray that it is not the case in this instance.

They was still there couple days ago,out abervagenney or Brecon way , there's a fella exercises past my allotment with a pet munsterlander ,nice looking dog

TC

The interesting thing is, why are the B&W now acceptable? A good dog is never the wrong colour, but previously wrong colours may become right colours. For entirely the wrong reason. I pray that it is not the case in this instance.

Kennel club?

TC

It's a cross most folk would never think of.

A friend was fishing recently and one of the bailiffs was walking around picking up rubbish and had a German Wire Haired Pointer with him.

My mate asked had the dog done much ?

The bailiff told him it had killed 4 foxes.

Past posts on here seem to agree that the GWP has a natural hatred of foxes.

Iv posted about this before on here but there was a local dog to me that's a bit of legend for foxes day or night! GWP X Grey

Used to regularly put up and catch foxes on his own daytime and battered em on the lamp. Think once Iv got room in my kennel and see one available I'll give it a try.

TC

Kennel club?

TC

I think it came from Germany wanting purity. Which is a new concept for them! :whistling:

• Like 1