Pointer X Greyhounds

I am new to GWPs but would not have any other gun dog now ....they have a lot to offer a lurcher if you get the percentage and the blood right

post-88284-0-93654900-1471297530_thumb.jpeg

Mine out the other night shooting pigeons

post-88284-0-38314400-1471297607_thumb.jpg

Our team

• Like 11

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is my pointer cross huggy89 they make a handy allround lurcher, great marking dog very biddable a loyal.

this is my bitch , by one of dave slieghts greyhounds to a 3/4 gwp 1/4 greyhound , really usefull bitch , will quarter a moor / fell like a pointer , takes all quarry , will hold a point on birds , r

I am new to GWPs but would not have any other gun dog now ....they have a lot to offer a lurcher if you get the percentage and the blood right Mine out the other night shooting pigeons   Our t

Posted Images

I am very interested in this breed one day. I have talked to a few breeders and checked out a few litters. Do they lack pace at all?

It's funny you should mention pace, they do not lack it at all, but it is different from a running dogs way of running. They will go all day at a fair lick but it is a measured gait not a flat out style of running.

TC

• Like 1

Pretty sure the video rabbiting man.... (Well one of the two I think he did) had a lurcher in it that was half pointer or had pointer in it. it worked along side his lurcher which I think was called Nel.

Theres two English setters where I live, just pets, there about 500 generations removed from working stock, but by Christ you want to see them hunt...it's all they do......don't half range out though.

• Like 1

I am very interested in this breed one day. I have talked to a few breeders and checked out a few litters. Do they lack pace at all?

It's funny you should mention pace, they do not lack it at all, but it is different from a running dogs way of running. They will go all day at a fair lick but it is a measured gait not a flat out style of running.

TC

I have heard they are pacy, the ones I have seen do not 'look' fast, but when you say 'different from a running dog' explains a lot. Thanks TC.

Fella who I knew.....( he worked dogs for around 70 years) said one of the best rabbiting dogs he saw was a red setter x whippet....., strange how these gundog lurchers have never become popular for daytime work......wonder why?

Edited by wuyang

While there is no doubt the a pointer cross will and does hunt, how do the stand up with the running? As you have two different types of muscle, the fast twitchy muscle of the greyhound or lurcher with the slower muscle of the pointer, it is hardly likely that you will get a mixture of both so perhaps that is why they are not so popular?

There are quite a few on here with a knowledge of genetics perhaps they can explain.

TC

Fella who I knew.....( he worked dogs for around 70 years) said one of the best rabbiting dogs he saw was a red setter x whippet....., strange how these gundog lurchers have never become popular for daytime work......wonder why?

met a tinker man whose family were vamped near me back back ib the early 90s-he reckoned the best hed e lver seen was a red setter x greyhound..very few gundog men are able for a good(trial stake standard) red setter thouh.

Pretty sure the video rabbiting man.... (Well one of the two I think he did) had a lurcher in it that was half pointer or had pointer in it. it worked along side his lurcher which I think was called Nel.

Theres two English setters where I live, just pets, there about 500 generations removed from working stock, but by Christ you want to see them hunt...it's all they do......don't half range out though.

the original breeding program is well worth looking up ,lavarack bred full brotheelr to full sister for 50generations-culled the crap and kept the best workers-there still out there l
  • Like 1

My mate bred a litter of pointer x bull greys and only sold 2- he kept 6 back for himself.they real handy types.everyone who I know who has had that x had no complaints. Atb dc

maybe theres pointer in the apbt-i. woulnt be surprised-.my father had a litter back when i was a kid(english pointers )- bygod did they like a scrap-several of them killed .foxes above as well-one bitch in that litter was(still is?)the youngest full field champion ever made up.