Pointer X Greyhounds

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is my pointer cross huggy89 they make a handy allround lurcher, great marking dog very biddable a loyal.

this is my bitch , by one of dave slieghts greyhounds to a 3/4 gwp 1/4 greyhound , really usefull bitch , will quarter a moor / fell like a pointer , takes all quarry , will hold a point on birds , r

I am new to GWPs but would not have any other gun dog now ....they have a lot to offer a lurcher if you get the percentage and the blood right Mine out the other night shooting pigeons   Our t

Posted Images

I dont know about GSP's but the GWP's ive seen and my own two are nothing like the above dogs. Thinking about it nervy dogs that bite then run away for severel hours are not good examples of any breed of dog.

They could just have been bad examples,if I had any interest in getting one I'd try to get out with a few good ones.

I was just curious.

this is my bitch , by one of dave slieghts greyhounds to a 3/4 gwp 1/4 greyhound , really usefull bitch , will quarter a moor / fell like a pointer , takes all quarry , will hold a point on birds , reckon she will be coming up to 4 now , she,s actually in season now , im just praying i got her away from my dog in time

this is my bitch , by one of dave slieghts greyhounds to a 3/4 gwp 1/4 greyhound , really usefull bitch , will quarter a moor / fell like a pointer , takes all quarry , will hold a point on birds , reckon she will be coming up to 4 now , she,s actually in season now , im just praying i got her away from my dog in time

shes around 25"

what I can say temprement wise about this bitch anyway ,, is she is so eager to please , one thing that does my head in is she is very guardy over her bed and her food and wont think twice about rattling my lurcher dog that's kenneled with her,, apart from that no problems at all.

The 1 I seen looked class gota try different things my mate got a lab x grey first x unbelievable on rabbits will kill off hare pre an not interested in teeth but a Dimond on rabbits

oh and why we're on subject his brothers got a first x springer x saluki grey dog top draw on rabbits

Strange, plenty seem to have good experience of gun dog crosses. Many Appear to appreciate what the could bring to the working lurcher, yet few seem to breed beyond collie, bull, bedlington to various sighthound crosses.

Are we genuinely missing a trick? or are we just getting misty eyed and romantic?

I'm not knocking, just asking :victory:

• Like 2

The 1 I seen looked class gota try different things my mate got a lab x grey first x unbelievable on rabbits will kill off hare pre an not interested in teeth but a Dimond on rabbits

oh and why we're on subject his brothers got a first x springer x saluki grey dog top draw on rabbits

Strange, plenty seem to have good experience of gun dog crosses. Many Appear to appreciate what the could bring to the working lurcher, yet few seem to breed beyond collie, bull, bedlington to various sighthound crosses.

Are we genuinely missing a trick? or are we just getting misty eyed and romantic?

I'm not knocking, just asking :victory:

these lads do sum serious shooting seem to work for them

As lurchers doing the work of gun dogs, or gun dog crosses doing the work of lurchers. or both?

To anyone who's had this cross, would it be possible to train as a gun dog yet still do the job required of a lurcher?

I would think so, I've read about it being done with collie crosses etc over the years so a gundog cross should be capable. After my lurcher was retired and I'd started hunting with a hawk she had days out with us and flushed stuff for the bird without trying to catch it. I admit stopping her from chasing a rabbit would have been harder when she was in her prime but I think it can be done. I have a pure GWP that goes out with Hawks but kills rabbits, rats and has caught the odd hare out with lurchers. There were times times when my hawk had caught a rat and another one ran out which my lurcher caught but she seemed to know the score.

In a few years time when my pointer is old I might get in another GWP lurcher which will have to work with the Hawks because that's my main hunting. I have no doubts at all that a half cross lurcher could be used to mark sets and then stay whilst rabbits are bolted for a hawk ( or a gun) and be able to go lamping, ratting etc at other times. Rabbits would be caught and pegged as it wouldn't be as steady as a pure pointer but with a bit of training I'm sure a lurcher can be told to remain on point for s few seconds until a rabbit or pheasant is flushed for a hawk ( or gun).

What are the GWP's temperament's like?

Are they easily trained and generally easy to get on with?

They're known as being independent hard headed b*****ds.

And exactly how many have you trained? I have had two, and not had any problems, once I knew how to train them. If your not comfortable letting a dog work up to half a mile away from you and know that you still have the dog under control, then they are not for you. A lot of people think they can train them like a spaniel or a lab and it does not work, it goes against every instinct the dog has.

TC

• Like 4

And exactly how many have you trained? I have had two, and not had any problems, once I knew how to train them. If your not comfortable letting a dog work up to half a mile away from you and know that you still have the dog under control, then they are not for you. A lot of people think they can train them like a spaniel or a lab and it does not work, it goes against every instinct the dog has.

TC

You misinterpret my comments as criticism.

I've not trained any, but I know people who have. Like you say, they can't be trained like a spaniel or lab.

My current circumstances do not allow for such a dog, but when they change and things settle down I shall certainly be adding one to my kennel.

• Like 2

TC

I've not trained any, but I know people who have. Like you say, they can't be trained like a spaniel or lab.

My current circumstances do not allow for such a dog, but when they change and things settle down I shall certainly be adding one to my kennel.

Apologies, I did not take it as a criticism as such, more a misrepresentation of the facts. Any dog can become a handful when someone is trying to train it's natural instinct out of it. If someone wants a dog to work like a spaniel get a spaniel.

TC

Edited by Tiercel
  • Like 1

TC

Apologies, I did not take it as a criticism as such, more a misrepresentation of the facts. Any dog can become a handful when someone is trying to train it's natural instinct out of it. If someone wants a dog to work like a spaniel get a spaniel.

TC

Bit like beddy crosses on the lamp then? :ninja:

• Like 1

Is that not the case with all breeds that bitches are easier to train than dogs? my father trained a lot of gun dogs for himself and others witch included pointers both dogs and bitches he always said that bitches were a lot easier trained, in layman terms he said that it was a hormone thing that all dog would be more interested in chasing bitches than paying attention to it's trainer and a bitch would lose concentration mostl'y when she was in season. Having this explained to me at around 16 years of age i total'y understood what he meant.LOL

He also said that the wirehaired pointer was a total'y different dog to the shorthaired pointer in temperament and that the wirehaired was a very headstrong type. but this was over 40 years ago and we all know how breeds have changed in 40 years.

In saying this i have found my WGP x lurcher very easy to train loyal and eager to please, and being able to train a dog to field trail standards in one talent my father did not pass on to me i am sorry to say.

ATB C.D.

• Like 1

I had a night out with a lad local to me a few years ago who has sadly since passed away. He had a first cross GWP x Grey who was a cracking looking bitch, she seemed to do alright on short runs on rabbits but lacked the pace when running bigger game and would yap with frustration.

After a tight turn she really seemed to struggle to build up speed to get back behind it, and by the time she had it would turn again and get quite a bit of distance from her. What she lacked in speed though, she made up for with her nose. She would be alert to where game was before we'd even turned the lamp on and spotted it. He told me that she was a cracking bitch for fox, but I never got to see it for myself.

I think a 3/4 Grey 1/4 GWP or possibly a 1/2 Grey 1/4 Deer 1/4 GWP dog would be a good all round cross, that bit more speed than a first cross.

I reckon one over a coursing type would be good x .

Coursing Grey maybe.. Not a fan of Saluki's myself. All the ones I or friends have owned have been daft as brushes and nothing spectacular in the field. Not seen a saluki do anything a good fit lurcher cant..

Cue the Saluki lovers hate mail... haha

• Like 2