Pointer X Greyhounds

My mate bred a litter of pointer x bull greys and only sold 2- he kept 6 back for himself.they real handy types.everyone who I know who has had that x had no complaints. Atb dc

6?

he must have a lot of permission and time :icon_eek:

he is fortunate that he doesn't have to go out and work and loves his dogs/hunting .atb dc
  • Like 1

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is my pointer cross huggy89 they make a handy allround lurcher, great marking dog very biddable a loyal.

this is my bitch , by one of dave slieghts greyhounds to a 3/4 gwp 1/4 greyhound , really usefull bitch , will quarter a moor / fell like a pointer , takes all quarry , will hold a point on birds , r

I am new to GWPs but would not have any other gun dog now ....they have a lot to offer a lurcher if you get the percentage and the blood right Mine out the other night shooting pigeons   Our t

Posted Images

Here is my pointer cross huggy89

013_zpsra5tomlh.jpg

they make a handy allround lurcher, great marking dog very biddable a loyal.

Very nice is that the half cross? I would imagine a 3/4 would be very nice too.
Hegart is a 1/2 cross pointer x saluki bull grey he hunts like a pointer using the air and ground to sent he is not the fastest or gamest dog I have ever had but fast enough for what I use him for.
  • Like 1

I had a night out with a lad local to me a few years ago who has sadly since passed away. He had a first cross GWP x Grey who was a cracking looking bitch, she seemed to do alright on short runs on rabbits but lacked the pace when running bigger game and would yap with frustration.

After a tight turn she really seemed to struggle to build up speed to get back behind it, and by the time she had it would turn again and get quite a bit of distance from her. What she lacked in speed though, she made up for with her nose. She would be alert to where game was before we'd even turned the lamp on and spotted it. He told me that she was a cracking bitch for fox, but I never got to see it for myself.

I think a 3/4 Grey 1/4 GWP or possibly a 1/2 Grey 1/4 Deer 1/4 GWP dog would be a good all round cross, that bit more speed than a first cross.

• Like 2

I had a night out with a lad local to me a few years ago who has sadly since passed away. He had a first cross GWP x Grey who was a cracking looking bitch, she seemed to do alright on short runs on rabbits but lacked the pace when running bigger game and would yap with frustration.

After a tight turn she really seemed to struggle to build up speed to get back behind it, and by the time she had it would turn again and get quite a bit of distance from her. What she lacked in speed though, she made up for with her nose. She would be alert to where game was before we'd even turned the lamp on and spotted it. He told me that she was a cracking bitch for fox, but I never got to see it for myself.

I think a 3/4 Grey 1/4 GWP or possibly a 1/2 Grey 1/4 Deer 1/4 GWP dog would be a good all round cross, that bit more speed than a first cross.

I reckon one over a coursing type would be good x .

I've a young pointer bitch at home that will start work out with the hawk next month, then slowly introduced to working alongside lurchers and taken ferreting. I'm hoping after working a season as a steady pointer alongside the Hawks I can allow her start ratting and catching stuff the season after when she isn't out with the birds. Others have done it ( The first time I saw CN's GWP was out after rats and she did all sorts of hunting including working for his Goshawks, she later produced lurchers like mine from his coursing dogs ) I will in time take her out lamping rabbits and I have no doubt on selected rabbits up the dales she would be capable of catching some.

A few lads on here have seen my nine year old GWP catch rabbits some on the run on the reedy hills and he will turn himself inside out to take a rat or a bolted rabbit. I'm completely breed blind when it comes to GWP's and the GWP bred lurcher. After working them for fifteen years it's hard not to be.........

• Like 6

I've a young pointer bitch at home that will start work out with the hawk next month, then slowly introduced to working alongside lurchers and taken ferreting. I'm hoping after working a season as a steady pointer alongside the Hawks I can allow her start ratting and catching stuff the season after when she isn't out with the birds. Others have done it ( The first time I saw CN's GWP was out after rats and she did all sorts of hunting including working for his Goshawks, she later produced lurchers like mine from his coursing dogs ) I will in time take her out lamping rabbits and I have no doubt on selected rabbits up the dales she would be capable of catching some.

A few lads on here have seen my nine year old GWP catch rabbits some on the run on the reedy hills and he will turn himself inside out to take a rat or a bolted rabbit. I'm completely breed blind when it comes to GWP's and the GWP bred lurcher. After working them for fifteen years it's hard not to be.........

Pointer it is nice to see that you are still at it, I used to enjoy your posts in days gone by.

cheers mate

I've been busy for the last few years with Hawks and rabbit numbers dropped so low on the dales areas I get to go on that I haven't thought about lurchers until recently. My old lurcher is too old and knackered for even a long walk now but a few seasons ago she did go out with my hawk and even after catching stuff all her life she knew to leave a rat or rabbit if the hawk was going for it. She was a very special dog for me and I could cry when I see her wandering around the garden in her old age with her eyesight and hearing getting worse rapidly. I've been saying I'll never have another lurcher again but with rabbit numbers rising and knowing that the hawks can lose so much of the season to bad weather and injury a lurcher that knows how to behave around birds of prey may find its way into my kennel someday.

• Like 2

. How time flies by don't seem that long ago when those coursing dog xes were young dogs.atb bunnys.
  • Like 1

I've just yesterday, bumped into a chap here in Dumfries and Galloway.. got rattling to him about his mutt. Apparently first cross GWP GREY.. it looked real nice... the business for me. About 26.5 inch... rangy. He's from Cumbria. Dog was purpose bred.. for Charlie apparently.

Having owned a g.s.p. and seeing what they can do... this cross is certainly next for me...

• Like 3

Think I ask this already but why not use English pointer .

My pig dog has a good percentage of English pointer in him along with ebt and greyhound and he is a strong and sound working dog. I think an English pointer from good stock would be a good cross for a lurcher, as is gwp. I guess it comes down to preference and what you have access to.
  • Like 1

What are the GWP's temperament's like?

Are they easily trained and generally easy to get on with?

I've seen a couple of GSP's and both struck me as a being nervy,in fact one unexpectedly went for my lurcher and when it got a bit back it ran off into the distance with it's tail between it's legs and took us about 3 hours to find.