was just having some tea and toast when the wife shouted me. dave come quick theirs a kestrel attacking the birds, i jumped up and and went to the window which was open, and seen it was a sparrow hawk , it had 4-5 goes at the mesh to get the canarys, i had to shout and clap my hands to get it to stop, the birds are a bit quiet now, does any one think it was a young hawk, learning his trade.

Sounds like a sparrow hawk,I get a lot this time of year on my aviaries,I assume there youngsters that don't understand the mesh of the aviary.Mind you be careful if you have nervous or jumpy birds as a hawk hitting the mesh can make them fly into the roof and injure or kill themselves.

Sounds like a sparrow hawk,I get a lot this time of year on my aviaries,I assume there youngsters that don't understand the mesh of the aviary.Mind you be careful if you have nervous or jumpy birds as a hawk hitting the mesh can make them fly into the roof and injure or kill themselves.

would a sparrow hawk be able to kill a pigeon ,? as i the s/h are not hat big are they .?

Spars regularly take pigeons, got one that frequents my bird table, would not have believed a kestrel was capable of taking a pigeon until i saw it myself, a pigeon must be twice the weight of a kestrel, yet i know for a fact they are capable of killing them.

• Like 1

would a sparrow hawk be able to kill a pigeon ,? as i the s/h are not hat big are they .?

As already said sparrow hawks are more than capable of taking a pigeon and regularly nabs one of my racing pigeons or doves. The main thing that helps them is the relative slow pace of a pigeon taking of which allows it to get a hold before it gets up.

Once a Sparrowhawk finds an aviary it will return,they have an uncanny habit of sticking their feet through the wire and grabbing the occupants,double skin the aviary or get a gun.

Had it done to mine and had then just spook the birds so much they die,i won't be admiting to harming one but they don't don't come back once i've spoken to them about it.Over the years i've sussed most attacks come after or during a few day rainy period mostly and haven't had an attack for a while but then now i've just spoken the fecker up :censored::laugh: ..

• Like 1

Why did i say a fecking thing :censored: ,came down this morning to find 5 dead birds in my aviaries,2 pulled through the wire and my once in a lifetime home bred clear greenfinch mule lying dead on the floor with a big clump taken out of her :cray: ...

Have to say my luck with my birds this year has taken the thrill out of keeping them as a man can only take so much and a long and hard think about giving up is happening in my head today...

• 2 weeks later...