The Border Terrier

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of mine. He's Ray walker and levi oaks stuff. 100% graft but very hard. I have a bitch similar bred.

Yep we did

two of mine

Posted Images

I reckon I dug a few times to one of the best Borders of the last 30 years (obviously many will argue) but many men seen the dog and agree. He was Dandy. Ray Walker bred. We had a 10 footer to him and when the quarry got away he was dropped again and we dug another 10 footer to him. And he wasn't a shy type of worker.

Dandy was the father of Sam , who's in the pedigree of a lot of good black terriers.

But back to the Border. In the last few years most keepers of Borders I've met (not them all) have been of the dreaming kind.

Would there be a Border man out there now who could bring out 3 Borders of the same kin and do the business with them, single handed ???????

I doubt it very, very much.

well Neil I beg to differ on the best border as the one I had the pleasure of gracing the soil to him was a top notch dog too, top with another black dog both long at rest now,
I have also dug to a couple of good working borders,2 we had ourselves and 1 which a mate owned.This dog came from a pet home in Dublin where my mate was doing work,the lady of the house wanted rid as it was killing the local cats.My mate took this dog home on a friday and dug to it on the sunday,1st time to be around an earth.The dog went on to make a bit of a name for himself up until the day he died,sadly his owner is now also passed away.
the one my mate had came from a pet home too, I reckon if ya had a couple ya could get a good line going

There's folk with whole yards of them and not a worker among them.

The Border IMO has been a victim of dreamers and dealers.

• Like 5

i don't know much about breeding but couldn't you put a out cross with another breed say lakeland or fell then keep then get the workers out of that litter put back to borders, i know they wouldn't be straight borders but if you was getting a better standard of working border type what would it matter we are not the kennel club and then if you kept putting them back to borders shouldn't they return back to type but with a bigger gene pool with fresh working blood

just a thought

• Like 1

Yes would be and has been done surely in all them ways RT. How to run a line on in breeding alongside the Border , I wouldn't know too much about either. But nice cross to the fell , would show some improvement to one or the other you would think and show ,and with going back to original stock

• Like 1

A mate of mine has a nice young bitch out of well worked parents and linage. If she goes, it should confirm that there are at least one line still doing it...

The rest must be bred down from Cunningham-Rice dogs..!! :)

I reckon I dug a few times to one of the best Borders of the last 30 years (obviously many will argue) but many men seen the dog and agree. He was Dandy. Ray Walker bred. We had a 10 footer to him and when the quarry got away he was dropped again and we dug another 10 footer to him. And he wasn't a shy type of worker.

Dandy was the father of Sam , who's in the pedigree of a lot of good black terriers.

But back to the Border. In the last few years most keepers of Borders I've met (not them all) have been of the dreaming kind.

Would there be a Border man out there now who could bring out 3 Borders of the same kin and do the business with them, single handed ???????

I doubt it very, very much.

well Neil I beg to differ on the best border as the one I had the pleasure of gracing the soil to him was a top notch dog too, top with another black dog both long at rest now,
I have also dug to a couple of good working borders,2 we had ourselves and 1 which a mate owned.This dog came from a pet home in Dublin where my mate was doing work,the lady of the house wanted rid as it was killing the local cats.My mate took this dog home on a friday and dug to it on the sunday,1st time to be around an earth.The dog went on to make a bit of a name for himself up until the day he died,sadly his owner is now also passed away.
the one my mate had came from a pet home too, I reckon if ya had a couple ya could get a good line going

There's folk with whole yards of them and not a worker among them.

The Border IMO has been a victim of dreamers and dealers.

that's the thing and what you said above. Don't know who to believe. But the man who keeps the workers going. What's the truth who really knows.good to see a good border working though, and not talking flukes .
  • 2 months later...