The Border Terrier

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of mine. He's Ray walker and levi oaks stuff. 100% graft but very hard. I have a bitch similar bred.

Yep we did

two of mine

Posted Images

I've read a lot of old text that makes no bones of sending them in two at a time plus it was likely more of a profession than a hobby then?

I remember a bounty on foxes alright, was there one on bigger stuff? My father and grandfather would of dug many but don't recall if money was ever their reason for doing so, I'd be under the impression it was only to work their dogs.

Drove from London to Belfast crossing Liverpool to belfastwith 3terriers in the boot even let them out for a stretch on quay side and customs came over and said what lovely dogs many moons ago stayed with a mate in Belfast who had a border bitch very handy tool always single had a black dog there that we dug a lot of stuff with but he rated the bitch as better give him a border dog I had been given but could not get on with he had couple of seasons out of him before losing him at work the ones I have seen have been very tempermental easy to upset

• Like 1

Drove from London to Belfast crossing Liverpool to belfastwith 3terriers in the boot even let them out for a stretch on quay side and customs came over and said what lovely dogs many moons ago stayed with a mate in Belfast who had a border bitch very handy tool always single had a black dog there that we dug a lot of stuff with but he rated the bitch as better give him a border dog I had been given but could not get on with he had couple of seasons out of him before losing him at work the ones I have seen have been very tempermental easy to upset

easy upset is right lol, I had a foxing bitch border, and bred lurcher pups from a greyhound, well every morning I used to let them all mingle whilst was there, this 1 pup always used to hammer down the garden and clean the border out, she got fed up n ya used to hear the draw of breath then seen the massive white eyeballs then a screeching pup, like a psycho, she was great around other dogs and livestock but this 1 pup knew how to push her buttons, the day the pup went to its new home I swore I heard her saying good riddance ya kunt, lol

Edited by Lenmcharristar
  • Like 4

I reckon I dug a few times to one of the best Borders of the last 30 years (obviously many will argue) but many men seen the dog and agree. He was Dandy. Ray Walker bred. We had a 10 footer to him and when the quarry got away he was dropped again and we dug another 10 footer to him. And he wasn't a shy type of worker.

Dandy was the father of Sam , who's in the pedigree of a lot of good black terriers.

But back to the Border. In the last few years most keepers of Borders I've met (not them all) have been of the dreaming kind.

Would there be a Border man out there now who could bring out 3 Borders of the same kin and do the business with them, single handed ???????

I doubt it very, very much.

well Neil I beg to differ on the best border as the one I had the pleasure of gracing the soil to him was a top notch dog too, top with another black dog both long at rest now,

I did say one of the best, LOL, and strangely for a brilliant terrier Dandy went through 5 owners before dieing after a hard dig. If I remember correctly the boys said Dandy's brother was even better, but I never dug to him.

I think there was a 20 + foot dig to a Border terrier in the Munster area last year. So they're not extinct yet but very rare.

• Like 1

I reckon I dug a few times to one of the best Borders of the last 30 years (obviously many will argue) but many men seen the dog and agree. He was Dandy. Ray Walker bred. We had a 10 footer to him and when the quarry got away he was dropped again and we dug another 10 footer to him. And he wasn't a shy type of worker.

Dandy was the father of Sam , who's in the pedigree of a lot of good black terriers.

But back to the Border. In the last few years most keepers of Borders I've met (not them all) have been of the dreaming kind.

Would there be a Border man out there now who could bring out 3 Borders of the same kin and do the business with them, single handed ???????

well Neil I beg to differ on the best border as the one I had the pleasure of gracing the soil to him was a top notch dog too, top with another black dog both long at rest now,

I did say one of the best, LOL, and strangely for a brilliant terrier Dandy went through 5 owners before dieing after a hard dig. If I remember correctly the boys said Dandy's brother was even better, but I never dug to him.

I think there was a 20 + foot dig to a Border terrier in the Munster area last year. So they're not extinct yet but very rare.

good to hear theyre still about, seems to be the ones that work work well, but money was the ruination of them, even workers of them today sell for big doe

• Like 3

I have also dug to a couple of good working borders,2 we had ourselves and 1 which a mate owned.This dog came from a pet home in Dublin where my mate was doing work,the lady of the house wanted rid as it was killing the local cats.My mate took this dog home on a friday and dug to it on the sunday,1st time to be around an earth.The dog went on to make a bit of a name for himself up until the day he died,sadly his owner is now also passed away.

Ive dug to 2 Borders. One was a dog and the other a bitch. The dog was from a pet home and was a decent enough fox dog, the bitch had numerous seasons and countless digs. I bumped into an old boy who lives near me the other night and he has always kept blacks. He said he now keeps Borders. Said theyre every bit as good as the black dogs hes had and that they have such a bad name because 99% of them go to pet homes and are never tried, so people assume theyre shite. And I suppose he's right in a way.

Edited by Rabbit Hunter
  • Like 4

Ive dug to 2 Borders. One was a dog and the other a bitch. The dog was from a pet home and was a decent enough fox dog, the bitch had numerous seasons and countless digs. I bumped into an old boy who lives near me the other night and he has always kept blacks. He said he now keeps Borders. Said theyre every bit as good as the black dogs hes had and that they have such a bad name because 99% of them go to pet homes and are never tried, so people assume theyre shite. And I suppose he's right in a way.

I think money was the ruination of the border,why give say £400-500 for a border pup when you can get a well bred patt or other breed of working terrier at less than half the price.1st border we had [bitch] cost £80 from lads down in Cobh who had the parents and grand parents to the pup and all well worked.The 2nd was a working dog a mate of mine got us as we were stuck for workers a £300 and that was with a weeks trial,dug to twice 1st day we had him out.My digging mate kept him[RUSTY] at his as he had more room than myself at the time.He had a hard 8ft dig to the dog one saturday along with his uncle and when they finially got to the dog he was in a bad way but alive,although brought to vets and put on a drip Rusty died next morn,he was a decent dog.

• Like 2

I have also dug to a couple of good working borders,2 we had ourselves and 1 which a mate owned.This dog came from a pet home in Dublin where my mate was doing work,the lady of the house wanted rid as it was killing the local cats.My mate took this dog home on a friday and dug to it on the sunday,1st time to be around an earth.The dog went on to make a bit of a name for himself up until the day he died,sadly his owner is now also passed away.
the one my mate had came from a pet home too, I reckon if ya had a couple ya could get a good line going