Good Solution, Coexist Rather Than Total Eradication

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Like a few have said a pack of wolves would probably kill all the dogs if they got into a fight . I think the idea is that their a deterant . If a wolf gets injujred it could be curtains for it so may

This has been done for centuries and is a proven preventative to keep stock safe ... Brilliant ......

So I got the impression from that that the spike collars are to stop the dogs murdering each other? As well as protection from wolves.

Good little documentary that. Those kangals sound like they'd be something to watch 'go'!

This lot didn't do to well against wolves ......

https://youtu.be/MRv_DqZW-H4

So I got the impression from that that the spike collars are to stop the dogs murdering each other? As well as protection from wolves.

Good little documentary that. Those kangals sound like they'd be something to watch 'go'!

I found that interesting too, makes sense I guess when you've got a big pack of mixed sexes and ages totally unsupervised most of the time. Stops any overly harsh corrections from the older dogs while they all find their place in the pack from causing too much damage.

This lot didn't do to well against wolves ......https://youtu.be/MRv_DqZW-H4

Well ain't that about the bottom line of all this. A flock of sheep are gonna need a fair few dogs to see off a pack of big strong north American timber wolves!

Cannot imagine any domestic dog killing a large male wolf, granted they may deter the wolf, but again depending how hungry that wolf is, if the wolf needs to feed and the dog gets in the way chances are the dogs on the menu.

• Like 1

Often wondered why LGDs weren't employed more in Canada and the US where they have real problems with predation, good to see someone encouraging their use over there :thumbs:

They're not very effective against the foreign Mackenzie Valley wolf which has been introduced to the lower 48.

• Like 1

Often wondered why LGDs weren't employed more in Canada and the US where they have real problems with predation, good to see someone encouraging their use over there :thumbs:

They're not very effective against the foreign Mackenzie Valley wolf which has been introduced to the lower 48.

Those are the timber wolves right? Can see why even a big LGD would struggle with them :yes:

Those are the timber wolves right? Can see why even a big LGD would struggle with them :yes:

Yeah timber wolves. It was posed as a re-introduction but there is quite a bit of evidence that the Canadian wolves are a seperate subspecies. They are definitely bigger than the wolf which was made extinct in the lower 48, due to being a different species or merely large average individuals of the same species due to Bergmann's rule.