Which Caller????

Hi all,

and thanks in advance.

i have just got some new permissions and have seen a few fox around so was thinking of getting a caller, the question is which one. Icotec or foxpro and which model.

How easy is it to upload calls to these machines, I'm not the most adapt with technologies lol and the ones I have seen have none native calls on.

new or second hand what's your thoughts.

cheers guys and girls.

I have had most success with a foxpro caller. A lot of the times foxes won't respond to distress calls, like now when there is an abundance of food available. Last week i was watching a fox through my night vision that was looking for poults on the ground outside the release pen and it completely ignored the pheasant distress call i played even though that is what it had been feeding on. I changed the call to a vixen call and it came bouncing in, enabling me to shoot it. I have never seen or heard of a mouth caller that mimics fox calls but i have about 15 different fox calls at my finger tips on the foxpro plus a couple of hundred various distress calls. Each to their own but the foxpro does it for me.

• Like 1

FoxPro for me too. Had it for nearly 10 years & shot 'loads' of Fox using it, I also have the whirly fur & feather thingy that sits next to it, as per the previous post

at this time of year i've also found that the 'squeeker' distress calls don't work to well except maybe on half grown cubs.

What I have observed is that I need to rest the caller on any one farm as they seem to get wary of it fairly quickly? But leave it a couple of months and it's back

in business.

I bought mine in America and still have only the pre-loaded series of calls on it, the 'Rodent distress' and 'Starling distress' are my bankers, the best thing about

the device is that unlike mouth calls (of which I have lots) they are able to be placed well away from the rifles hide and so the Fox is very unlikely to spot or wind

you if set it all up thoughtfully.

Well in one place 2 is my best, I move about and set up before dark.

After dark the caller goes in the car and the lamp + mouth caller come out.

Electronic calls are (for me) a 'trap' type of set up, not a substitute for a mouth caller.

AndyF

• Like 1

When you look at a lot of these callers, they are made up mainly for the American market,and it's a mine field on what to buy, I have always used mouth caller's or my hand, but do fancy a good caller, but they know how to charge for them, could do with some websites to search,

Daft question...

What phone do you have?

The reason I say it is because in addition to a mouth caller (the harmonica style one) I go out armed with a selection of calls on my phone and just use that.

Dropped 3 last night in pretty close succession and have used it to drag a fox disinterested in the mouth caller in to an 80 yard shot from about 450 away.

I've got a vixen call, bunny distress, and a bird distress on mine that my mate made the 1.30 ish length call mp3's into a 16 track album with every other track being a couple of minutes break.

Very effective and you can even stick them on cd and just use the car / truck stereo to drag them in.

Why spend north of £100 for something that you can do for free and use something that will be in your pocket already.

Edited by Jax13