Lurcher Advice

Hi, I'm a keen reader of all the working dog forums on here although I don't post much. I'm a complete beginner to hunting with dogs but am keen to get into it. I will be getting my own place soon with room for a kennel but I'm getting ahead of myself. Before I even think of getting a dog where can I learn the tricks of the trade? All advice is appreciated.

Cooke

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm 40 mile from Leigh if you can't find anyone closer and fancy a walk out in a few weeks drop me a PM.   You can get out with me and a couple of the lads on a decent mooch. There will be a few di

Plenty of folk in the Leigh, Tyldsley Atherton Wigan area work all kinds of dogs. ATB

9 dogs on a walk out couldnt think of anything worse lol,had few lads turn up many years ago think i counted 12,never ever again

Get out with lads that have lurchers if you can ,it's sometimes hard to gain trust but keep at it. Get around a few farms and get some permission ,at least you'll be able to offer a day out in return for them giving advice.

Have you done any other field sports?

• Like 1

All the best in your venture buddy. It gets addictive and takes over your life so be warned. If you've got a missus then make sure she's on side before you get a dog. And if you haven't got a missus then prepare to struggle to find one. Haha.

You will find all the info you need here though. Good luck.

• Like 2

Youll learn the tricks of the trade as you go mate, nobody starts knowing it all, no matter what you read on here. Get a kennel, get a dog and get out

spot on,rare now days for anyone decent wanting a new comer to tag along although you might get lucky but theres plenty tools about that would teach you how not to do it.

• Like 2

Youll learn the tricks of the trade as you go mate, nobody starts knowing it all, no matter what you read on here. Get a kennel, get a dog and get out

I struggled finding anyone to tag along with at first so I did exactly that.

Books and Forums are useful to help guide you, especially as there are some knowledgeable folks on here. At the end of the day, unless you've got someone decent; local to you, willing to take you out, the best way to learn is to just get out and learn from your own experiences and mistakes.

ATB pal.

• Like 1

I'm from Leigh and don't know of anybody in the area. Thanks for all the replies, I'll definitely get a dog once I'm settled in at the new place and read up as much as possible to do the best for the dog. Asked the missus how she felt about a dog and she said fine but she wasn't too happy when I mentioned a ferret! That's what you call a compromise lads. I don't do any field sports at the minute although I've always been interested in it but it's only now I'm in a position to do it as I'm just flying the nest at 24.

Cheers

The first thing never show your to eager to get a dog as plenty will try to part you with your hard earned cash and usually its crap they are peddling. Ask plenty of questions from numerous folk and first learn to differentiate from sound advice and bullshit.

• Like 2

The first thing never show your to eager to get a dog as plenty will try to part you with your hard earned cash and usually its crap they are peddling. Ask plenty of questions from numerous folk and first learn to differentiate from sound advice and bullshit.

great advice mate ?

Do you reckon I should get from proven working stock then?

always get from proven working stock if you think there spinning you any lies dont get one simples. There's plenty decent lads on here who have or are breeding decent dogs. Once you got a dog and put the work in its all trail and era you and the pup will both learn loads along the way
  • Like 1

In a word yes first decide what work and terrain, then what quarrie . Plenty of questions, reading various posts and articles, talk to lads doing the stuff you want to do then find an upcoming litter from lads of good name, with good working stock. Dont pay a princes ransom, a decent lad will sell a working line pup at a working mans price. When you find a pup ask the breeder/seller to mentor you,most would agree to give you pointers.

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 1

Get pup rear it responsibly ie train it well and stock break it when it's matured take the dog to the permission you have and let it see game most if not all lurchers will chase and catch rabbits readily that is all there is to it its not rocket science despite what some will have you believe

• Like 1