• 6 months later...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After the pigeons had a couple of hours calling in the crows, picked 29 up  

These 207 were shot with just 6 decoys and a caller which I think is a very useful thing to gain there attention

I have found that using the flocked crow decoys work very well using only 6 will bring in the birds. I put up a hide and leave it a couple of days before shooting that spot and really important that y

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

make a very good hide with a roof preferably on edge of wood or thick cover. Do not let them see you. Dont get out of the hide at all. Shoot runners again to kill clean rather than chasing around,unless you have a dog to retrieve. Learn to use a good call.

• Like 2

Aye the first thing they go for is the dogs eyes but then they just latch on to anything and a dog might just give them a crunch to stop it ruining a good soft mouthed dog

• Like 1

Plus one more for not using the dog on crows , they can mess up a young dog ..any that come down and even twitch get another round ..I always take the dog but never send her to retrieve any of the blacks ..

• Like 1

My old Spaniel retrieved hundreds of crows. He knew they pecked and grabbed them accordingly. He also jumped barbed wire fences and hunted through the thickest of bramble and blackthorn. He was a well bred dog that knew his job. He still had both eyes at the end of his long and busy career. Mind you he was well bred from dogs that had also been properly tested in the field. Ive seen spaniels refuse to pick a flapping cock pheasant before. Its embarrassing for the handler in comany but dogs need to be bred from the right stuff and exposed to different situations.

• Like 2

I have found that using the flocked crow decoys work very well using only 6 will bring in the birds. I put up a hide and leave it a couple of days before shooting that spot and really important that you keep still until the very last minute as these buggers have fantastic eye sight.

If you have a sheep farm, use the owl decoy, superb ploy that has helped me shoot literally thousands of crows in years gone by.

Phil

Edited by philpot
  • Like 3

I have found that using the flocked crow decoys work very well using only 6 will bring in the birds. I put up a hide and leave it a couple of days before shooting that spot and really important that you keep still until the very last minute as these buggers have fantastic eye sight.

If you have a sheep farm, use the owl decoy, superb ploy that has helped me shoot literally thousands of crows in years gone by.

Phil

Most of my shooting will be done on sheep farming land. How would you guys recommend setting up the decoys? Is there a certain pattern to use do they need to face into the wind or anything like that?

Phil

Most of my shooting will be done on sheep farming land. How would you guys recommend setting up the decoys? Is there a certain pattern to use do they need to face into the wind or anything like that?

you can put crow decoys out any old way and you dont need many. get a good caller and learn how to use it properly.

Bang on Jeemes, there is no pattern with crow deeks. Take a look at crows in a field no pattern but keep them within ten feet of each other because it seems to focus their intent. Crow calls are good but don't over do it. The rabbit trick is good but I have found it only works once or maybe twice as they learn quickly.

DON'T SHOOT THEM EVERY DAY, SHOOT, LEAVE A COUPLE OF DAYS, SHOOT AGAIN AND SO ON.

Crows are very smart and will soon catch on. Have a few eggs real or plastic to put on the ground in a make believe nest with a deek close by and that will work a few times.

Phil

• Like 1