• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After the pigeons had a couple of hours calling in the crows, picked 29 up  

These 207 were shot with just 6 decoys and a caller which I think is a very useful thing to gain there attention

I have found that using the flocked crow decoys work very well using only 6 will bring in the birds. I put up a hide and leave it a couple of days before shooting that spot and really important that y

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

I used a talking crow a couple of weeks ago with real feathers on it. As a decoy bird it was fine but the calling didnt really have much effect. Crows see the decoys from along way off anyway. I think the hide is more important. I had quite a good day with a few carrion.

• Like 1

I used a talking crow a couple of weeks ago with real feathers on it. As a decoy bird it was fine but the calling didnt really have much effect. Crows see the decoys from along way off anyway. I think the hide is more important. I had quite a good day with a few carrion.

good shooting jack99, :thumbs: i thought crows were very wary once they been shot at , even with decoys , not like pigeons. by that bag it looks not , must be having as you say good hide does the trick . :thumbs:

• Like 1

Calls seem to work best in spring time for me, or in a wood, I shoot loads of crow, they are easy to decoy, but they learn or get wise, its better not to set up in the same place too often, or too frequently, the Devils in the detail with them, good hide good face mask,and a few decoys and you are in business, I like to travel light I hate carrying loads of kit, I have just tried a electric flapper, and they work really well, with maybe 4 full bodied decoys out in a patch in the edge of a barley field, great sport,

• Like 1

Calls seem to work best in spring time for me, or in a wood, I shoot loads of crow, they are easy to decoy, but they learn or get wise, its better not to set up in the same place too often, or too frequently, the Devils in the detail with them, good hide good face mask,and a few decoys and you are in business, I like to travel light I hate carrying loads of kit, I have just tried a electric flapper, and they work really well, with maybe 4 full bodied decoys out in a patch in the edge of a barley field, great sport,

The best Rook shooting Ive had was on layed Barley, they were suicidal. Ive found not getting out the hide unless you have to helps. They are clever but hopelessly curious.

• Like 2

The best Rook shooting Ive had was on layed Barley, they were suicidal. Ive found not getting out the hide unless you have to helps. They are clever but hopelessly curious.
its strange really, many people looking for permission, would get some where by offering to shoot crow / rook, they are a massive problem when the crop starts to turn, or when the lambs are in the fields, and not many people put the time in with them, compared to say pigeon's, or rabbits, and if you do a decent job they will let you shoot the rest of the vermin, it's a way of gaining trust, they are a really good way in, I enjoy calling and shooting them,

its strange really, many people looking for permission, would get some where by offering to shoot crow / rook, they are a massive problem when the crop starts to turn, or when the lambs are in the fields, and not many people put the time in with them, compared to say pigeon's, or rabbits, and if you do a decent job they will let you shoot the rest of the vermin, it's a way of gaining trust, they are a really good way in, I enjoy calling and shooting them,

You are right there. A few years ago I was asking a farmer to shoot the rooks and he was hesitant.I was about to give up when he asked me how much I was going to charge him. Of course being a farmer he was pleased to hear I only wanted the sport and told me to fill my boots..which I did!!