First Rifle, Any Advice?

Hi guys,

Im about to apply for my FAC and have been looking at my options and thought I'd just ask around here as I usually get great feedback and answers from this forum.

My main quarry would be rabbits and foxes, although the possibility of roe deer has been mentioned but I dont want to base my first rifle on this as its just talk at the moment where as I have a couple of rabbit permissions already which have all said they would like me to do foxes too!

My thinking was a .223 or .22- not sure which!? LR? RF? hornet?

The permissions I have are not going to require 3-500 yard shots or anything mad, Id think 150-200 Max, at the moment I use a PCP for the bunnies at 30-60 yards but just want to extend that range for them and obviously be able to remove foxes!

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

Mutt

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you think you will be shooting more rabbit than fox, a 22 lr or a 22 wmr maybe all you need. If you want to use the air rifle for rabbit. The hornet's will do you and a few rabbit but at extra cos

Greyman, hmr won't be cheaper to feed than lr but will do both roles as will wmr so can be cheaper as only one rifle is purchased.

Agreed, but if noise, and the increased cost aren't an issue the HMR will increase the range and deliver more energy.   A .22lr should be in virtually everyones cabinet just the same, cracking calib

Posted Images

If you think you will be shooting more rabbit than fox, a 22 lr or a 22 wmr maybe all you need.

If you want to use the air rifle for rabbit. The hornet's will do you and a few rabbit but at extra cost.

It's a tough call really.
I started with a 22lr and a hornet, went bigger but now,over 20years later just have a 22lr and a wmr. In fact I am on the verge of selling my lr, the wmr does it all for me nowa days.
You should experience what ever you fancy but be realistic with regards your terrain and try to not watch to many long range shooting video!
For every successful shot there will be many many misses!

U.

• Like 2

If you think you will be shooting more rabbit than fox, a 22 lr or a 22 wmr maybe all you need.

If you want to use the air rifle for rabbit. The hornet's will do you and a few rabbit but at extra cost.

It's a tough call really.

I started with a 22lr and a hornet, went bigger but now,over 20years later just have a 22lr and a wmr. In fact I am on the verge of selling my lr, the wmr does it all for me nowa days.

You should experience what ever you fancy but be realistic with regards your terrain and try to not watch to many long range shooting video!

For every successful shot there will be many many misses!

U.

Okay thanks UD, we've got really close to the foxes at one of the perms, like less than 10yards! so I'm sure you are right!

Thanks for the advice, will bear it in mind!

Mutt

I,m not a live fire person, but I do have a few mates with tickets, and most of them have moved away from 22lr onto 17hmr and recon it's much better, less riquochetes and cheaper to feed, have,nt heard of anyone going hmr to 22lr so maybe that's worth a look for what you want

• Like 1

I,m not a live fire person, but I do have a few mates with tickets, and most of them have moved away from 22lr onto 17hmr and recon it's much better, less riquochetes and cheaper to feed, have,nt heard of anyone going hmr to 22lr so maybe that's worth a look for what you want

??? 50 x .22lr = £5 and 50 x .17hmr = £13/15!!

• Like 1

Anshutz 1417 .22lr (keep for life) Any CZ .17hmr. Job done! :-)

Apply for 17 hmr as been said cz aren't to expensive to by. And 22-250

much appreciated guys! will look into those now, just doing lots of research and got a fella who has said he will have a chat with me and show me some of his guns so hopefully that will help too!

Mutt

I had a hmr and .22lr sold the hmr and got a .22-250 all I need. .22lr good for fox at 60 yards headshot .22-250 a different tool altogether. Hmr are effected quite easily by the wind.

okay thanks, we should be under 60 yards with any luck!

I had a hmr and .22lr sold the hmr and got a .22-250 all I need. .22lr good for fox at 60 yards headshot .22-250 a different tool altogether. Hmr are effected quite easily by the wind.

Why do people keep saying that, of course they are effected by the wind, EVERY calibre is, but they are LESS effected by the wind than the .22lr?

:thumbs: