Ken Gould

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let's be honest lads "aye but you have to draw the line somewhere blah blah" where do you draw the line? I might draw the line a bit further down the bar than the next man and likewise the fella next

The terrier in the background was bought off Gouldy in the early eighties by a mate of mine, can't remember how she was supposed to be bred but he did'nt just sell black un's and Russell's. She actual

go on I'll tell the story as it was told to me lol . I hope I don't butcher it to bad .Anyway the bloke that told me storry goes up to Ken place with a mate of he's that was a big lump of a bloke. Tha

Posted Images

He deffo did at foxhall in scotch corner mate, me an few others off this site was there

are you sure it was golly he didn't like dogs kicking off used to act scared any thing else it was a different story .
  • Like 1

He deffo did at foxhall in scotch corner mate, me an few others off this site was there

are you sure it was golly he didn't like dogs kicking off used to act scared any thing else it was a different story .
I was going to say the same thing mate.I saw the dog 's good few times when he was with his original owner and the dog was always a complete gentleman.Ive seen him turn his head from dogs acting aggressive.
  • Like 1

It's a pity how times have changed.

The well known lurcher man, John Kelly, used to run an excellent show in County Louth and I remember one morning having 3 or 4 digs and then going straight to the show and showing the terriers we worked that morning.

There was an English gamekeeper out with us and he was wearing tweed breeks. At an Irish terrier show in the late 80s that sure did turn a few heads, LOL.

At the end of the day ,like in those days, the workers should still get first priority.

• Like 4

My son won a show at a hunt show last week with his terrier first time he ever put the dog in a show and the dog is nearly 8 but has a few marks from work but nothing bad or fresh when he won there were a few questioning the judge about his choice he just said it was a working terrier show so he picked a working terrier had a chat with judge after he said it was nice to see some workers about

• Like 7

My son won a show at a hunt show last week with his terrier first time he ever put the dog in a show and the dog is nearly 8 but has a few marks from work but nothing bad or fresh when he won there were a few questioning the judge about his choice he just said it was a working terrier show so he picked a working terrier had a chat with judge after he said it was nice to see some workers about

Got spoken to harshly by a female judge many years ago at a Staff show, for hunting my dog on rats,I informed her they were not marks from rats but from a tougher foe,she nearly blew a gasket.

• Like 6

Let's be honest lads "aye but you have to draw the line somewhere blah blah" where do you draw the line? I might draw the line a bit further down the bar than the next man and likewise the fella next to him. So just to stop any arguments lads don't bring any working terriers that have signs of work to a working dog show just incase you might offend someone that draws the line where you don't! Forget about Game fairs because at them there's Joe public and they'll definately draw the line not where you do and won't like to see marks on a terrier. But at a working dog show which most are piss crap anyway and it's just a day out with like minded folk, don't be bringing marked terriers with you and let's make the shows even more piss poorer than they already are and give all the rosette hunters what they want. If I judged a show which won't be happening any time soon I'd forget about the man holding the lead and ask myself how by looking at said terrier do I think it would fair out in some big place down the road from me. If the answer is probably not too well seeing it hasn't a hair out of place very light on it and doesn't look overly strong and doesn't look like it's done much graft then it wouldn't be getting pulled out and there'd be a few men not happy and id be telling them tough luck, get over it. Only dogs I know that are dug over in the winter time or look like they're grafted would be picked. Never mind the summer crew that come out of the woodwork come showtime. I've never won a rosette in my life but I'd rather have a yard full of workers than a living room cabinet full of rosettes and trophies. Rant over, sorry lads not having a good day lol.

Edited to add I'm not ashamed if a dog I own has a few work related marks on it and the last person I'd expect to have a problem with it would be someone that works terriers. You expect it from Joe public that the majority don't know any better and need put right, but you don't expect it from other terriermen.

Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 15

Ken pick a terrier that was half brother to mine over mine because it was marked up and the dog was a loon to ground.mine was a sensible dog and never got marked apart from one little scratch.he would of given me it instead of the other lad if mine was in the same state but some terriers are sensible some aren't so it goes to show you a man with his knowledge isn't always correct.but apart from that it was good crack and a nice man to.

• Like 1

Ken pick a terrier that was half brother to mine over mine because it was marked up and the dog was a loon to ground.mine was a sensible dog and never got marked apart from one little scratch.he would of given me it instead of the other lad if mine was in the same state but some terriers are sensible some aren't so it goes to show you a man with his knowledge isn't always correct.but apart from that it was good crack and a nice man to.

Maybe he knew yours was a bayer and preferred the harder type .
  • Like 3

Maybe he knew yours was a bayer and preferred the harder type .

He wasn't a bayer he did mix spot on as I seen it a few times when we broke through he had a good hold.just a sensible dog