Spaniel/ Lurcher Team

I bought a sprocker to use as a bushing dog with the lurcher and I found out that it takes a lot more training to use a spaniel properly , I have spent a lot of hours training it as a gun dog which I have enjoyed doing, it is by no means the finished article but its in my eyes doing very well, I will use it this season on shoots gradually doing a bit more as it learns, the thing I am thinking is will I be able to use it with lurchers as well or will it maybe ruin it as a gun dog,stoping to flush and picking up etc, anyone do both to a high standard or is it one or the other?

I bought a sprocker to use as a bushing dog with the lurcher and I found out that it takes a lot more training to use a spaniel properly , I have spent a lot of hours training it as a gun dog which I have enjoyed doing, it is by no means the finished article but its in my eyes doing very well, I will use it this season on shoots gradually doing a bit more as it learns, the thing I am thinking is will I be able to use it with lurchers as well or will it maybe ruin it as a gun dog,stoping to flush and picking up etc, anyone do both to a high standard or is it one or the other?

good point that, suppose its job as gun dog picking up, and stopping to flush is what you want but going in cover after rabbits etc, to knock out for the lurcher, is going against its stop and flush. if it was me you got ask yourself what will you do the most of shooting work or lurcher work.? why not get just little jack type dog just to work with the lurchers . i know you can work spaniels to do both jobs, but after seeing them on shoots over the years, where they excel i think get another dog to work in day with the lurchers. funny thing is my 1x gsd x grey Buck will go in cover to knock rabbits out, Bryn the other lurcher stands out side waiting for a bolt lol, and when you see a big dog like Buck in cover getting low in there , i know any small type jack or x breed can do it . deff.

If you have trained or are training your dog to stop to a flush (be it fur or feather) then it wouldn't matter if your lurcher was to chase and catch. If you also intent going to the beating this training will help in keeping your dog steady when there are lots of birds running ahead/flushing. Once it's 100% steady then I think the dog deserves to get a few retrieves whether you do the shooting or somebody else does it - steadiness has to come first or else all your months of hard work will be gone in a few minutes :cray:

Jangles

• Like 1

If you have trained or are training your dog to stop to a flush (be it fur or feather) then it wouldn't matter if your lurcher was to chase and catch. If you also intent going to the beating this training will help in keeping your dog steady when there are lots of birds running ahead/flushing. Once it's 100% steady then I think the dog deserves to get a few retrieves whether you do the shooting or somebody else does it - steadiness has to come first or else all your months of hard work will be gone in a few minutes :cray:

Jangles

cheers
  • 3 months later...

Been on 4 shoots now, the shoot I go on is a good one partridge now pheasant , my bitch has done me proud the keeper has gone from telling me to leave her on lead unless sure she won't run in and not stay tight, to thanking me for help and taking over someone else's job who did most flushing, stopped her on at least 50 birds last week 3 hare and even a brace of roe heart in mouth material with people watching! Not showing off but just saying I've so far done alright and yes I know at any point she could blank me if I don't stay on top but Im enjoying the crack!

• Like 5

I'm glad that you asked this question..

I will basically be in the same position as you in 12 months. Currently got a whippet and lurcher but I go beating weekly and will get a spaniel soon. The spaniel will be a beating dog primerily and will also do some bushing for my other dogs.

Please let me know how you get on mate

Edited by Blueboybilly

My father used to have good spanieks5, he says I have them ruined taking them out with lurchers!!

A few years ago I went for a shot with him and a big rabbit got up and he run to get leads onto them before they chased it with the lurcher, she turned it back down towards us and it ran round him two or three times and the spaniels run round him after it until they totalled tied him all up until he fell over a they took off after it leads and all!!

• Like 1

Shouldn't be a problem but it is a different kettle of fish to being steady for shooting.

At some point its likely that the spaniel will run in when it sees the lurcher chasing and will need corrected but if you keep at it then there is no reason it wont work.

Plenty of dogs chase hares on the moor and mine don't join in (most of the time) but it is a big temptation!

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Training your spaniel to stop to flush is all well and good, but when it starts to push game out and the lurcher is giving chase and making catches, you will find the spaniel will start joining in

this exactly what will happen, mine did this but wouldn't run in on shoot days

FEB_4707_zpsa8gkzqkg.jpg