7.62 For Deer

Hi Deker,

My reason behind a 7.62 is that I can easily get a rifle that can be used for both. I have seen on gun trader a 7.62 police marksman rifle for £350 in good nick that in my eyes would fit both stalking and target as it has a heavy barrel a bipod as standard. And surely 7.62 is as good as getting a .308 as an all round deer rifle?

I don't see the difference between owning a .308 and 7.62. Apart from the 7.62 seems to be able to cope with target as well as deer more easily?

Am I wrong?

Hi Deker,

My reason behind a 7.62 is that I can easily get a rifle that can be used for both. I have seen on gun trader a 7.62 police marksman rifle for £350 in good nick that in my eyes would fit both stalking and target as it has a heavy barrel a bipod as standard. And surely 7.62 is as good as getting a .308 as an all round deer rifle?

I don't see the difference between owning a .308 and 7.62. Apart from the 7.62 seems to be able to cope with target as well as deer more easily?

Am I wrong?

How long have you been shooting, what sort of competition/target work do you aspire to, how many deer stalks have you participated in??

I'm not sure why you have this fixation on 7.62, there are plenty of .308 target rifles, why are you suggesting "7.62 is as good as getting a .308 as an all round deer rifle" it isn't, .308 is a better choice.

If you really want target and just one rifle, then simply get a .308, and use that for deer with the large ammo selection available.

But, Stalking rifles are not target rifles, walk around for a while with a target 7.62 or .308 over your shoulder and you will find out why, so possibly best to take a step back and rethink the whole plan!!

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

I put 100's of 556 NATO ball through an old CZ .223 I used to own, never had a worry, the proof test is way way 'worse'

anyway, chambered and ejected just like the 'real' .223 hunting ammo.

I suspect the 7.62 / .308 Win is in the same league, 'health and safety' men going mad out somewhere I expect Oh Dear.